Optional 3G/UMTS module

Fzero

Advanced Member
Could someone explain please how the 3G module would work, not in great technical details, I just mean like how would you go about using it?

...Would this mean there is a SIM card slot? Thus the Pyra being able to completely replace my phone?

...Or some other method, which I'm not aware of?

I'm only used to 3G devices which include a SIM, and that's essentially what you're charged against for your 3G data plan.

Is it simple as that? Pyra would have a place to slot in my existing mobile phone 3G SIM card, so I can then use my unlimited data plan for 3G web browsing, maps, YT, etc.

Also, if I wanted Pyra to replace my phone, I know of a few apps on Android which could do this, allowing me to make calls and SMS using the apps built in dialer.

What options are there on Linux for this, any recommended ones?

Yes.

IIRC according to WizardStan, using it as a phone would need some minor hardware considerations in addition to just 3G data. Apparently small enough to seriously consider.

EDIT: Here it was

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, still potential then for it - here's hoping :)

you could use the Skype app on Android to make phone calls (given that Pyra gets a port). It costs money. Don't know how much.

Yeah I had considered this, or rather a dif app that's available on Android, Tango, but think it's pretty similar to Skype app

http://www.tango.me

I guess a negative of that is I'd need to have Android running all the time in order to get incoming alert/messages, which is why I wondered if such a thing existed outside of Android, which could be used when in the default OS

skype is only viable if you have 3G coverage. Some people like to use a phone even when only GSM is available.

Also, some service providers charge extra for VoIP traffic.

Yes, would not be ideal I guess if you not getting 3G coverage, especially for me as I need to be contactable at any time really.

The charges are not an issue as I get unlimited data and I'm sure that includes using VoIP apps too.

But the coverage issue is a bit of a problem really, I'll probably still be carrying 2 devices then come next year... the Pyra and whatever phone I have next

If an actual phone mode was done, that would be excellent, but I get that there are a lot of legal issues and can imagine ED might want to steer away of that area. He's not making a phone at the end of the day ... but wish he would :) Pyra phone would truly be the one device needed 

If an actual phone mode was done, that would be excellent, but I get that there are a lot of legal issues and can imagine ED might want to steer away of that area. He's not making a phone at the end of the day ... but wish he would :) Pyra phone would truly be the one device needed
Maybe Pyra won't be advertised as a phone because of the issues you mentioned.

But is it the fault of EvilDragon and the Pyra team if some random community guys set up the software to use the device as a phone?

I don't think so. ;) .

Yeah, it's like the government is not gonna ban gun manufacturers and sellers to stop making and selling guns just because someone bought a gun and use it improperly.

That's why I like openness :D

Hack to your heat content :D

Is 4g out of the question?

Still too expensive?
It's going to be modular so if I've gotten it right you can choose.
No.

For now only 3G and nothing is planned.

According to what ED told me LTE would br 50€ more expensive.

As the 3GH and 4G modules are pin compatible it might be possible to offer 4G when it'll be cheaper.

But don't know what will be used in the end.

It's pretty unlikely to have 4 versions (3G,4G and nothing).

We have to have all of the versions in stock, buy both kind of modules, have to test both.

I wouldn't do that.

Maybe ED will spontaneously decide different but he also announced in his speech that there will be 3G and no 4G at startup (if I remember correctly)

As the 3GH and 4G modules are pin compatible it might be possible to offer 4G when it'll be cheaper.
I may be in the minority with this, but I would be willing to pay that much extra for added 4G/LTE. I have only used 4G a little, on my brother's phone, but its download speed blew my 3G speed out of the water.

I may be in the minority with this, but I would be willing to pay that much extra for added 4G/LTE. I have only used 4G a little, on my brother's phone, but its download speed blew my 3G speed out of the water.
I wouldn't care either but for mass market it might still be a different.

And what is the use of that high speed when most of the plans have a Data limit? Its not that you can use it as a torrent box, with 4g my data limit would be hit in a minute.    

That's the only reason I didn't get 4G plan on the phone. In the UK there's only one provider offering truly unlimited 3G data plans, and that is 3.9G and what I have at the moment, can tether to it and use it as a wifi hotspot for my telly and computers connect to if needed.

I'd like 4G but the prices charged for going over the [fairly small] limits are not good. None of the providers have any plans soon to offer unlimited d/l packages on 4G either, at least not when I checked just a couple months back

Back