What OS do you use?

I'm using Debian GNU/Linux and am loving it. I first started with Ubuntu but had a fair amount of problems and finally switched over to Debian and since have had zero problems with anything...

I use windows 7, but have been trying to install Linux on my pc but everything I try does'nt work, I've tried Ubuntu (10.10 &9.10), I've tried Fedora 13, and I've tried openSuse 11.2, none seem to work. I get to the first menu of every one, where i get to choose install, try, boot to hard disk, etc. so on everyone I click install, then my mouse and kb stop working, I Google my problem but all i could find was use a ps/2 keyboard (which I already was), and to remove all usb devices, i do so, and the problem persists. can anyone help

TL;DR, help me install Linux :p

sorry about the thread jacking by the way.

try booting in the try mode and doubleclick the install icon there

Ubuntu 10.04 here - even if I slowly grow to dislike ubuntu (for example, the idea of putting the window buttons to the left has no point in it's favor but various very good points against it. it was basically just a "we wanna be different"-decision, or as I call it, a brain fart. but that's not the first time either, for example we allready had the whole pulseaudio fuckup (too bad there seems to be no debian/gnome system that doesn't use this piece of crap, never really working, having to write custom start scripts for every other app, causing daily system lockups PA stuff :( ))

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Xubuntu 10.04, myself. Prior to this, I used Kubuntu 7.10 and then 8.04. The massive improvements in polish and usability over time have impressed me greatly. I just don't have the time or the inclination these days to mess about with things, which is why I use what I use. I have tried other distros, but so far none I've tried (ranging from vanilla Debian, to Fedora, to Puppy, to SliTaz, to Mandriva, to Ubuntu Netbook Remix, and some others I've probably forgotten) match the level of polish I've found in the Ubuntu variants (although, I must admit, I'm not too fond of GNOME, so I don't use the regular flavour of Ubuntu) - even down to such little things such as telling you when you're ok to eject the LiveCD, instead of just restarting the machine without giving you a chance to remove it...

@moz - I know this problem. When you boot the LiveCD/DVD you're using, you should be given an option to provide additional parameters prior to booting. What's happening to you is a sign that you need to add the following two to what should already be there when you choose said option*;

Code:
noapic nolapic

These should make it behave. Try it in live mode first, of course, and bear in mind that at this time, I don't think Ubuntu retains this once installed - it's my only gripe with it at this time. Fedora does retain it, though, I know from experience. (You don't happen to be using a Fujitsu or a Dell machine, do you?)

*(I came across this on my parents' new computer - they prefer Linux also, but their machine had some parts that randomly let out the magic smoke one day and it had to be replaced. I happened to come across this on the new machine.)

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention that I also use a Macintosh, though it's not my primary machine.

@moz - I know this problem. When you boot the LiveCD/DVD you're using, you should be given an option to provide additional parameters prior to booting. What's happening to you is a sign that you need to add the following two to what should already be there when you choose said option;

Code:
noapic nolapic

These should make it behave.
Thanks, I'll give this a try now.

hello,

- debian lenny on my eeepc 701 who serves somewhat as a server (ircd, eggdrop and bouncer, ssh..)

- ubuntu 10.10 on the desktop/family machine (it's easier for my bros to use it when they come by, and wanna check internet/do some open-office stuff ..)

- windows 7 occasionally on the same desktop, for when my big bro really wanna play his WoW stuff, and his wife's not so happy about this at home hahaha

- debian squeeze (testing) on my old vaio laptop, 'cuz I'm the only one to use it, and i deeply love deb :)

- maemo on my N900.. debian in the pocket for the win !! ;)

Kisses

Mac

Windows 7 <-- Got it for Dx10 + 11

Windows Xp

Ubuntu Linux <-- These there are on a triple boot on my netbook, because I can.

Osx Leopard

That one Linux that is close to redhat that I can't remember the name of right now, but it a virtual machine running a minecraft server.

And 3 more Xps for the virtual machines. One for Seti@home, One for protein folding, Another for Torrent seeding.

• OSX on my mac for every day usage and to work on java school projects. (web, games, etc)
  • Xubuntu on a really old laptop since it is slow as hell when running windows XP. That computer is mainly used by my girlfriend, so that she can surf the web and talk on instant chat. It's a 1gHz duron with 768 mo ( - 64 for video) ram, so if you know lightweight distros that are easy to use for people that only know windows, I would be glad to have your suggestions.
    smile.gif
  • Xubuntu on various virtual machines, because I love testing things till the breaking point
    laugh.gif
  • Windows 7 on my mac to work on C# school's project and to play some games that aren't available on other os.

Thanks Prometheus, It seems to have worked, but now I am having trouble with my partition (I am trying to dual boot), when I tried to use the partition that I already created, it said that it couldn't use a partition made using Windows. So I tried leaving it as empty unallocated space, and it said it was 'unusable space'. Can anyone help me with this?

EDIT: this is with both Ubuntu 10.10 and fedora 13.

Thanks Prometheus, It seems to have worked, but now I am having trouble with my partition (I am trying to dual boot), when I tried to use the partition that I already created, it said that it couldn't use a partition made using Windows. So I tried leaving it as empty unallocated space, and it said it was 'unusable space'. Can anyone help me with this?

EDIT: this is with both Ubuntu 10.10 and fedora 13.

Just format that partition as ext4.

try booting in the try mode and doubleclick the install icon there

Ubuntu 10.04 here - even if I slowly grow to dislike ubuntu (for example, the idea of putting the window buttons to the left has no point in it's favor but various very good points against it. it was basically just a "we wanna be different"-decision, or as I call it, a brain fart. but that's not the first time either, for example we allready had the whole pulseaudio fuckup (too bad there seems to be no debian/gnome system that doesn't use this piece of crap, never really working, having to write custom start scripts for every other app, causing daily system lockups PA stuff :( ))

Uhh... you know you can change that, right?

Just go to System -> Preferences -> Appearance ... and you should be able to figure it out from there. Enjoy! :)

"What OS do you use?"

Hmmm, that depends for what purpose :)

• On my laptop I started with Gentoo, then Fedora (10-11-12) and now Aptosid (formerly Sidux) which is a debian testing based rolling release distro.
  • On my server I have a Gentoo base install with debian squeeze in a linux container (lxc).
  • And on my livingroom/htpc I'm currently running Fedora 13 (not even installed by me haha. When I was in India my housemates had to re-install and asked another linux-geek to do it :p )
  • Oh, and the phone, n900, also Maemo. But I should start playing around with dual-booting Meego :D
  • On occasion I have windows XP in a virtual machine, because for the Uni. I have to edit these darn macro-infested word-documents.

Oh, and if we are talking window managers: I prefer stuff like Fluxbox. Just the bare minimum (ok, not completely bare. some would argue the *box familiy of WM's is still very much bloathed :p ). But for my housemates we now have gnome on the htpc (previously KDE) and other times I usually use xfce if I need a desktop-like environment.

On mey Desktop, i use Ubuntu 10.04

On our Familiy Laptopp, whe use Windows 2000, i installed ubuntu 10.04 too, but it seems that the laptopp is to slow, or something ditnt work..

On mey Openpandora, i reacive in 2 Months i use Angström Linux, called "Zaxxon"

Whe dont have more Computers..

Uhh... you know you can change that, right?
Yes and it was the first thing I did. But that still doesn't make it any better an idea. When a distribution starts adding changes to the worse then you know it's going down the drain. If any other distribution would add a photo like the tubgirl as the default wallpaper, you could change it as well, but it would still be a clear sign of the demise of that distribution, wouldn't it? ;)

man.. why, oh why did i google-imaged "the tubgirl" ???!!! :blink:

wouccccccccccccchhh, i'm not hungry anymore..

Mac

Linux kernel

Arch Linux distribution and package management

KDE Desktop Environment (4.5 or whatever's new but stable)

ALSA because it was by far the easiest to set up

And Chrome for web browser. Sadly, every Firefox I've ever used in Arch Linux is slow and crashes on exit, leaving open a process that consumes a CPU core. And Arora had a really bad memory leak, so I haven't used it in a while.

And Kate and Qt Creator for text editor / IDE as long as I'm here.

Back