What's The Best Linux Distro To Use?

dflemstr said:
  • Runlevel 5 starting X on TTY 1 instead of 7 (yeah I know easy fix but why use TTY 7 in this day and age?).

Well, for example I login to root to unencrypt my home folder before I start kdm. And while I also use Pulseaudio (and love it!), I've used OSS4 in the past and I can understand someone going that route. And these exceptions are the reason arch is minimal and should stay like that. With excessive defaults you lose flexibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
My new favorite feature of KDE is Mouse Mark in the Desktop Effects.
b7e2k5.png

By the way, has anyone noticed that the Firefox 4 Beta looks like shit on Linux systems?

klikklak said:
FF4 ugly? no it's not, why? My main complaint is that the tab bar texts blend in with the persona (can't be seen) on a theme/persona change.
I dunno, for some reason I think it looked better on Windows, but looks aren't all that important to me.

Also, after many hours wasted, I finally upgraded to KDE 4.5. For some reason when I followed the instructions at the KDE website it did some sort of mutant half-assed install, so I did what this guy said to do and everything's working perfectly now.

Edit: KDE 4.5 is amazing.

klikklak said:
dflemstr said:
  • Runlevel 5 starting X on TTY 1 instead of 7 (yeah I know easy fix but why use TTY 7 in this day and age?).

Well, for example I login to root to unencrypt my home folder before I start kdm. And while I also use Pulseaudio (and love it!), I've used OSS4 in the past and I can understand someone going that route. And these exceptions are the reason arch is minimal and should stay like that. With excessive defaults you lose flexibility.
But you don't need TTY1 for unencrypting stuff. You could as easily use TTY2 for that. But starting X on TTY7 leads to lots of flicker, while starting it on TTY1 leads to 0 flicker.

dflemstr said:
But you don't need TTY1 for unencrypting stuff. You could as easily use TTY2 for that. But starting X on TTY7 leads to lots of flicker, while starting it on TTY1 leads to 0 flicker.

Flicker? Where? I've never noticed any. Are you sure it's not a driver problem?

klikklak said:
dflemstr said:

Yeah, that's definitely a little odd.

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
klikklak said:
dflemstr said:

Yeah, that's definitely a little odd.
You're used to it because you haven't ever seen anything else. When you go from a TTY or Plymouth into booting X, the screen goes dark for a few seconds before GDM/KDM/whatever shows up. This *seems* harmless, but what's actually happening is that the graphics memory of your graphics card is getting completely pruned before being populated again by X. This shouldn't have to happen: X should just be able to "take over control" of the graphics card from the frame buffer without having to use this "tear-down/build-up" system.

And no it's not a driver problem; my computer runs any Linux distro flawlessly.

Best distro to start with is IMHO still Puppy Linux. Amazing at recognizing hardware and just very easy to use.
The latest version is even using the repository from Ubuntu.
You just can't go wrong here.. just burn the iso and play.

I've always used Ubuntu, but have never stuck with it for that long. Different for me as a MAc user I suppose, but on my PCs, I always end up having to go back to Windows for something or other...

Back