What Is The Status Of...

Aldo I find the way it's presented over the top, truls_rhock raises a more or less valid point.

Putting things like "Mass Production of 3895 Pandoras MP has started" on the "official current status" page while this AFAIK is not the case* (something about storage IIRC) just enables threads like this.

While I'm not trying to bash any of the work done by the team, one thing that is definitely always been a problem is some coordination about what information is given and especially what exactly (in the line of, you know how any little spit will be hashed and rehashed here, so try to get "one message" out on each step your say).

* phun intended

Edit: power adaptor is ordered and tested for CE mark - see Craigix - , so should be delivered and stored somewhere and Mweston confirmed that all parts to do the actual assembly of the boards are there - so that's the biggets part of your list.
Can't be bothered to look up the threads.

truls_rhock said:
Chip said:
You certainly don't need to come up with a ridiculous checklist like this.

I don't know of anyone who purchases physical parts without knowing what they are getting. Knowing what, how many, and where is basic to any well run business. Why don't I need to ask? Everyone is asking, and the information is getting more ambiguous.

Added protective case:

Snip, Snippety Snip Snip

What matters to those who preordered a Pandora is how the finished product is coming along(FYI-moulding company sending new revised cases on January 15th).

I would drink too if I was Craig.

Drinky:
brawndo_can.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
truls_rhock said:
I don't know of anyone who purchases physical parts without knowing what they are getting. Knowing what, how many, and where is basic to any well run business. Why don't I need to ask?

If I might be so presumptuous to assume you are purchasing a Pandora, your list looks like:

What is the status of the:
--Pandora - 0 - Not produced yet.

truls_rhock said:
So the inventory is delegated to death? I don't know of anyone who purchases physical parts without knowing what they are getting. Knowing what, how many, and where is basic to any well run business. Why don't I need to ask? Many people are asking, and the information is getting more ambiguous.
I'm certain they do have an inventory somewhere. We are simply not privy to it, nor should we need to be. That is why you don't need to ask: it is information that we do not need, not even in a way that would be beneficial to anyone outside of the assembly factory. Would knowing the answer to any of this information actually influence things in any way, or do you simply want to know for your own amusement?
The information that you're asking for is not likely to be all in one place. In order to answer your requests, they'd have to gather it into a single place, and distill it into something that would be easy to read. Such a task sounds mighty boring for a lark. And then there's probably a lot of them which simply can't be answered. How many X do they have? Well, I suspect that for many of the components the answer is simply "enough". The factory itself probably has a warehouse full of basic components such as LEDs and USB plugs, from which they simply pull the needed amount for each product they are producing for the day, while a different process ensures that those buckets are kept full. It is, after all, their business to build such boards, soldering components into place as seen fit. They likely have several other projects from other companies all pulling from the same pool of basic components; it would be arrogance to think otherwise. This is all deductive reasoning, of course. It is entirely possible that the obvious logical course from the outside is not actually the best course when the particulars are known, but we do not need to know those particulars, nor would we even be aware that such particulars exist if this were any other company. The OpenPandora team distill the boring minutiae details and provide us with a glorious overview, and I would have it no other way.

why do you need to know that?

why not also ask for how many Meters of tracks the PCB has?

it might be Open pandora, but asking for so much its just insane also that you will never get precise info, since everything is always on the move.
you also have to calculate the failure rate of each piece, add up all the names for any kind of discarding/lost/damaged parts.

whatever your objective is i believe it wont do anything for the benefit of the proyect unless you explained it already.

All I have to say is at least truls_rhock didn't make a "Where's my Pandora, I am about to cancel" thread. He made an honest thread with a pretty big question on everyones mind. Where EXACTLY are Open Pandora in the process. They say that once the case is approved and mass production starts then it will be shortly after that everything gets shipped. Although I think something as simple as the speaker and speaker while is just silly to ask about. One would assume that they would have orders those and have them on hand to be put into Pandoras as they are being manufactured.

I doubt anyone on the team has the time to spare to go though that list, especially when we know we have all the components (how do you think we have now built ~200 units?).

If you are not happy you can have your money back.

The phrase "give an inch and they'll take a mile" springs to mind. I'm starting to see why other companies are less than forthcoming with information :D

Build another 50!! Then mine can be on its way!!!!

No seriously, you have 200 complete Pandoras?

craigix said:
If you are not happy you can have your money back.

Craig, this sentence is ridiculous. You are getting way to defensive way to early.

mali said:
Craig, this sentence is ridiculous. You are getting way to defensive way to early.

You're kidding, he has the patience of a saint, I'd have told you all to f*ck off months ago :D

clippa said:
You're kidding, he has the patience of a saint, I'd have told you all to f*ck off months ago :D
It depends on your point of view. It's a scheme seen before. An annoying thread pops up, Craig gives the signal and the fanblock spams the thread with nonsense. It's not the kind of discussion culture we should have on the boards, imo. A project leader has the responsibility to keep it clean. You might agree or you might disagree with my opinion, but I'll post my opinion wherever I see it's needed.

It's not ridiculous at all imo. We already have a lot of info if you keep up to date or make a SEARCH within these forums. We even have been privy to the correspondance from the mould company, and Craig has answered many many questions and made things clear and concise as of recent. At a certain point he doesn't need to: "make you understand (the manufacturing process)", and it's up to you whether you are content with the situation.

As clippa said:)

I thank the openpandora team for the updates and videos

It's pretty much irrelevant if I'm defensive or not ;) That "You can have you money back" is just not appropriate style to answer simple questions.

Back