Current Status Of All The Parts

B-ZaR said:
You must be new here. Don't assume :p

LOL!

Well... you are right... but... we all like to dream. If we were not dreamers, the OP would never even be imagined in the first place. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Do anybody know status of remaining 3000(9000) cases?
It will be just another delay...

svs-57 said:
Do anybody know status of remaining 3000(9000) cases?
It will be just another delay...

It's a shame Team OP can't post on here anymore, as on the one hand I am delighted and excited about the current mass production, but on the other hand I am not amongst the first 1000, and would just like to know that all parts are now ordered. I think that the team probably wants to build units first, to be sure case tolerances are correct, before buying the next batch.

The problem is that the mould factory seems to need quite a lot of time, so optimistically I am thinking 6-8 weeks from case order to collection, (I know the production runs only take days, but I guess the factory have other orders at a higher priority. As I understand it Faith is the contact for this order to go out. We can hope that suddenly there will be a fast turnaround, but I am thinking more cautiously.

It's wonderful news that production has started, and we just need to sit tight and hope the rest of the orders make it in the coming months, or sooner if team OP manage it. It will be great fun to see the first photos of production, and I really look forward to getting my unit. :)

Where you see information of rest cases status?
I know that OP team orders 10 000 cases.
Only after testing first 1000 cases then will make green light to rest 9000.
Assembling has been started. Quality of cases is nice.
But nothing about 9000 cases.

svs-57 said:
Where you see information of rest cases status?
I know that OP team orders 10 000 cases.
Only after testing first 1000 cases then will make green light to rest 9000.
Assembling has been started. Quality of cases is nice.
But nothing about 9000 cases.

Pal, that's all we know, if we had more info, we should have posted it already... Anyway, even if MWeston gives green light, we know the chinese factory will take "X" ammount of time to make, paint and ship the remaining cases.

X is an unknown value, and we will only know for sure until they arrive at Craig's. Just as it happened with the first 1,000.

As CapcomSuicide says, it's likely that Fatih will be the one to deliver the green light to the factory. We rarely hear from him anyway, so for all we know that's already happened. Or not. Sit tight. :)

CapcomSuicide said:
The problem is that the mould factory seems to need quite a lot of time, so optimistically I am thinking 6-8 weeks from case order to collection, (I know the production runs only take days, but I guess the factory have other orders at a higher priority. As I understand it Faith is the contact for this order to go out. We can hope that suddenly there will be a fast turnaround, but I am thinking more cautiously.
I hope this time the Case-Factory does things a little bit faster. ED told us in the german forums, that the OPT do not pay for the 9000 cases untill they are done (unlike the first 1K cases that were pre-payed). So I guess it's in the interest of the Factory to make the cases as fast as possible this time, no Cases - no money. :)

Ok, finally, after asking about it so many times, Craig confirmed that they will be ordering "the next 3,000 cases & plastic parts" from the Chinese Factory NEXT WEEK.

Why next week, you ask?

According to Craig, The main reason it's next week is so we can make sure all the ones we have shipped are solid.

Expected delivery time for those 3,000 cases? Unknown.

Cuetzpalin said:
Ok, finally, after asking about it so many times, Craig confirmed that they will be ordering "the next 3,000 cases & plastic parts" from the Chinese Factory NEXT WEEK.

Why next week, you ask?

According to Craig, The main reason it's next week is so we can make sure all the ones we have shipped are solid.

Then open up all the boxes and randomly select a few from each box. With that cross-section tested - ORDER THE NEXT 3000.

Can't wait much longer...

may88 said:
Cuetzpalin said:

Why next week, you ask?

Then open up all the boxes and randomly select a few from each box. With that cross-section tested - ORDER THE NEXT 3000.

Can't wait much longer...

Yep, I'm pretty sure we all agreed on that.

BTW; Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK the case of the missing TV-out cables remains a mistery, right?

Cuetzpalin said:

Why next week, you ask?

I do feel that's a bit at odds with the vibe Craig was sending out a while back. Talking of the Pandora as not an Apple or Nintendo product. The cases aren't perfect. There appears to be a few _minor_ flaws with it. I'd certainly say that the greasy and scratched finish would've been a bigger issue than, for example, one side closing more than the other.

It doesn't appear that they're going to ask for any changes to the mould (I wouldn't really trust the case factory either) to remedy these small "fit and finish" issues. The fact that they remain after more than six months of work on the mould beggars belief, but we've all been gradually expecting that. So why wait any longer to order these parts?

The other troubling thing is the silence on the boards front. They were meant to be producing 500 a week. Is that still the case, and are they achieving that? Surely that means they should be almost done by now?

I don't want to dig at OP. I think they're responding really well to feedback from the early receivers. However these things are clearly a concern for people who are further back in the line, like myself. I'm worried that the gap between the first and last Pandora of the first batch, off the assembly line, will be longer than I had hoped. I understand they're all working full tilt though. Again, hats off to them for it, especially in their increasingly more rigorous testing regime.

Cuetzpalin said:
BTW; Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK the case of the missing TV-out cables remains a mistery, right?

It depends on how much of a mystery you mean. Apparently, they had to order 10,000 and have sold about 500. So they haven't paid for the TV-Out cables, the factory isn't shipping them until they are paid for, and we aren't getting them yet.

Dead1nside said:
However these things are clearly a concern for people who are further back in the line, like myself. I'm worried that the gap between the first and last Pandora of the first batch, off the assembly line, will be longer than I had hoped. I understand they're all working full tilt though. Again, hats off to them for it, especially in their increasingly more rigorous testing regime.

Maybe you could look at it this way - yes, you'll get your Pandora later than you might otherwise have, but yours is more likely to work and be generally better than it would have because OpenPandora improved their quality as they went along. For example, it's been suggested that OP won't get the factory to make any changes because they are reputedly a PITA, yet in the same post it's been noted that there is an unexplained delay. There are other explanations, but perhaps one of those statements is incorrect, and they ARE planning on making at least 1, posisbly 3 changes at the plastics factory to improve the quality/consistency of future cases.

Monk said:
It depends on how much of a mystery you mean. Apparently, they had to order 10,000 and have sold about 500. So they haven't paid for the TV-Out cables, the factory isn't shipping them until they are paid for, and we aren't getting them yet.

Well, I remember seeing pictures of those sweet cables... and also somebody mentioned they were already at Craig's.

Did they really ordered 10,000 cables? I think that's way too many cables, specially considering that NOT everybody would be ordering one of those.

And I think they are gonna lose more money for shipping the cable separatedly. Not to mention the fact that they should have at least explained this situation to those receiving their pandoras already.

Again, would be REALLY NICE to have an official word from the OPT to stop speculation.

Cuetzpalin said:
Monk said:
Did they really ordered 10,000 cables? I think that's way too many cables, specially considering that NOT everybody would be ordering one of those.
Isn't 10,000 the minimum order allowed?
In fact I believe that's what monk said, (in bold)

Cuetzpalin said:
Well, I remember seeing pictures of those sweet cables... and also somebody mentioned they were already at Craig's.

You saw photos of sweet samples :) Samples they have, but not enough to fulfil the actual orders.

Cuetzpalin said:

"Really" and "true"/"truth" are beyond my ability to ensure, but I CAN repeat what OpenPandora themselves have said. For example, on IRC EvilDragon is quoted as having said:

<EvilDragon> GodGinrai: Yeah, we need to discuss a bit more with the company. They want to produce 10.000 at once, which is crazy expensive. We were busy with so many other things before so we couldn't talk to them about that.
<EvilDragon> We will ship them later as soon as they are available.

Cuetzpalin said:
Again, would be REALLY NICE to have an official word from the OPT to stop speculation.

The best I can do is quote them :) For which I am not always smiled upon :(

Ta,

it may be well over a week, buts hope its not too long - we are just taking about placing an order which was original 10K then 1K now looks like it may just be for the next 3K

I'm more worried about the pace at which the changes are done by the chinese company and indeed it could drag over a month ++, this is based on their lousy track record, and things could take further if there is another bout of lost in translation.

I'm getting tempted to the dark side now the Ipad is in UK and any new gadget - lets face 2.5 years is a heck of a wait - i'm hoping the pandora will be worth the wait

Back