What Do People Want To See Demoed On First Completed Prototype?

'Raz' said:
No MUGEN :(.... So is there going to be any 2D Fighting Game Engine on teh Pandora?
Well, if those attempts at reverse engineering MUGEN pan out, they might get ported. Aside from that, you'd probably be waiting for someone to want to make one.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
'Raz' said:
I know.... N64 and DC are going to take a lot of time, but hte question is what would you like to see :).... Anyways, does anyone know if N64 is going to be done from scratch or be ported?

No MUGEN :(.... So is there going to be any 2D Fighting Game Engine on teh Pandora?
The shugendo guy is realy interested on porting his fighting engine on Pandora when it is ready

While not exactly what I would want to see, these would probably pull in the most customers:

Show basic features - Firefox, Word Processing, General PDA features, keyboard, touchscreen, etc.
MAME game
Amiga game
PSX - Final Fantasy VII or Metal Gear Solid gameplay (This will pull in a lot of people)
PC - Quake II or III
What's to come - NullDC demo (even if it doesn't do much)

If the video will be really long, add SNES or Genesis between MAME and Amiga.

'Yod4z' said:
'Raz' said:
I know.... N64 and DC are going to take a lot of time, but hte question is what would you like to see :).... Anyways, does anyone know if N64 is going to be done from scratch or be ported?

The shugendo guy is realy interested on porting his fighting engine on Pandora when it is ready

That's one of the projects trying to re-engineer MUGEN that I was talking about. He's interested in porting it? That's good to hear.

-God Ginrai

Flashy things that people know. Wipe out, metal gear, blah blah blah.

The purpose is pulling people into the project, so obscure games would be less effective.

I'd like to see a keyboard/analogue control/d-pad/casing stress test... let an eliphant sit on it, a 5 year old ADD kid play with it, make someone play decathlon and push the buttons real hard etc.

'Eight Bit' said:
I'd like to see a keyboard/analogue control/d-pad/casing stress test... let an eliphant sit on it,
I don't think the Pandoa is designed to withstand the weight of an Elephant

'Pleng' said:
'Eight Bit' said:
I'd like to see a keyboard/analogue control/d-pad/casing stress test... let an eliphant sit on it,
I don't think the Pandoa is designed to withstand the weight of an Elephant

You get the picture though :)
Just hoping the Pandora will be sturdy enough. I know I tend to push a button harder than is necessary in the hope I'll go faster or hit/shoot harder when playing a game. As the keys are directly on the main board I hope hard key presses won't damage the board.

How about some non game stuff? Stuff that will show the public how this thing will incorporate into the futuristic lifestyle of carrying around a computer in your pocket. Gaming is a huge focus of the Pandora, but for myself, and likely others, we'll use it for work, communication, mobile webslinging, HHGTTG, Pim, etc at least as much as gaming.

How about some PIM, synching, VOIP, on the go type stuff. How about switching from a game to some some pim, sleep, put in pocket, open back up and pick up your game? Life style stuff. Pocket life style.

Make it like one of those stupid iPhone commercials.

"Here's how you turn it on. Here's some unrealistically fast web browsing. Here's some YouTube. Here's some games. Here's some GameBoy games. Here's how you can use it to Photoshop while away from your computer. Here's how you can use it as a PDA with a full hardware keyboard. And here's Bluetooth tethering to a phone."

Yes, exactly!

'lulzfish' said:
Make it like one of those stupid iPhone commercials.

"Here's how you turn it on. Here's some unrealistically fast web browsing. Here's some YouTube. Here's some games. Here's some GameBoy games. Here's how you can use it to Photoshop while away from your computer. Here's how you can use it as a PDA with a full hardware keyboard. And here's Bluetooth tethering to a phone."

'lulzfish' said:
'.Gogeta§§J4BR.' said:
some of you guys mentioned World of Warcraft... and I've been thinking: if any blizzard employee gets hooked on the pandora, he could make a port for it to work on the pandora. I mean, what's the harm in it? :p this would be the first pocket computer to be able to run such a great success
I hope you're joking, because there's like no way Blizzard will put in the effort to port WoW until at least 25% of their customers already have a Pandora and are threatening to cancel / suicide-bomb Blizzard HQ if it's not ported.

Edit: No, you've gotta be joking. That's so much effort to even design a port. It doesn't even.

yes, I was dreaming :p

First of all, we should see it being opened, show how good the hinges are, what the controls and keys actually look like in a real P as opposed to on their own (as they have been shown previously).

Next, load Firefox and show some wireless browsing to show the wifi working, maybe play a youtube video or something.
Also a quick showing of the built in music and video playing abilities would be good too.

As for gaming, Quake III would get the attention of the general gaming crowd - show just how powerful this little handheld is.
After that, things that were not running fullspeed/very well on the GP2X should be shown, eg Playstation, Amiga (especially A1200), Dosbox and so on. And while showing all these emus, actually playing a game or two on each so we can see how well the controls and keyboard/mouse emulation (where applicable) work. And playing SF2 in either the Megadrive/SNES emulator would be good to see how well moves can be pulled off with the dpad too.

If theres time left, maybe a classic game or two running in MAME (eg Pacman) wouldn't go astray, and some of the other general applications of the P as well.

AND MAKE TO SURE TO POINT OUT THAT IT'S NOT CONNECTED TO A PC THIS TIME!!!!!!!!! (picking it up and turning it around etc while it's actually running would be the best way to show it's not connected to anything).

I would love to see NullDCe running at whatever state it's currently in as well, although at this point that's probably better left for a seperate video by itself, rather than one that shows off the features of this wonderful new toy.

'White Demon' said:
First of all, we should see it being opened, show how good the hinges are, what the controls and keys actually look like in a real P as opposed to on their own (as they have been shown previously).

Next, load Firefox and show some wireless browsing to show the wifi working, maybe play a youtube video or something.
Also a quick showing of the built in music and video playing abilities would be good too.

As for gaming, Quake III would get the attention of the general gaming crowd - show just how powerful this little handheld is.
After that, things that were not running fullspeed/very well on the GP2X should be shown, eg Playstation, Amiga (especially A1200), Dosbox and so on. And while showing all these emus, actually playing a game or two on each so we can see how well the controls and keyboard/mouse emulation (where applicable) work. And playing SF2 in either the Megadrive/SNES emulator would be good to see how well moves can be pulled off with the dpad too.

If theres time left, maybe a classic game or two running in MAME (eg Pacman) wouldn't go astray, and some of the other general applications of the P as well.

AND MAKE TO SURE TO POINT OUT THAT IT'S NOT CONNECTED TO A PC THIS TIME!!!!!!!!! (picking it up and turning it around etc while it's actually running would be the best way to show it's not connected to anything).

I would love to see NullDCe running at whatever state it's currently in as well, although at this point that's probably better left for a seperate video by itself, rather than one that shows off the features of this wonderful new toy.
+1

-God Ginrai

'White Demon' said:
Why is this so important? I mean, it'll be cool to see it running off a battery and woth no cables attached, but why is this so important? Do you think that the Pandora is just a LCD inside a plastic case, hooked up to a PC? :p

Back