What Do People Want To See Demoed On First Completed Prototype?

JerryG20

Hey guys, I'm just curious to see what other people would like to see MWeston (or other developers I guess, but I think he's is the only one that will have one with a keymat) demo in videos for the first video of a complete Pandora prototype? I personally want to see DOSBOX (particularly Warcraft II if possible) because we've haven't seen video of any DOSBOX running yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
'JerryG20' said:
Hey guys, I'm just curious to see what other people would like to see MWeston (or other developers I guess, but I think he's is the only one that will have one with a keymat) demo in videos for the first video of a complete Pandora prototype? I personally want to see DOSBOX (particularly Warcraft II if possible) because we've haven't seen video of any DOSBOX running yet.
There were some images of WCII IIRC

But this thread is going to become a big list of things everybody has their own favorites, and I think the devs should decide for themselves.

That said: colin mcrea rally on the psx emulator, please. :p

I wouldn't normally ask, but I guess it can't hurt; Jazz Jackrabbit (MS-DOS) would be nice to see running in DOSBox, in my view. :p The shareware version is still readily available (see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_Jackrabbit_(video_game) :p), the demonstration of which shouldn't infringe on anyone's copyrights or distribution rights as far as I can understand (the full game itself is still sold by Epic Classics, for what it's worth).

I want to see how good the keyboard is for writing, especially non English characters. That would be something to show of the keyboard.

We've already seen Quake 3 so why bother?

This video will probably be the next "Digg effect press release". So I think MWeston should take an extra few hours to edit something nice together, showing some Linuxy things, typing, web browsing, video, and of course some games including Q3.

(Personally I just want to see some GT2 :D)

'Gruso' said:
This video will probably be the next "Digg effect press release". So I think MWeston should take an extra few hours to edit something nice together, showing some Linuxy things, typing, web browsing, video, and of course some games including Q3.

(Personally I just want to see some GT2 :D)
Yeah, the first official prototype with the CNC and official keyboard will be a big deal, he should take his time to perfect it.

Some typing stuff with Abiword would be cool, or a demonstration of running something from an SD card. Maybe watching one of the old Pandora videos from one.

I want to see something that takes full advantage of the Pandora's power, so that means Quake 3 from how far it comes to showing off its power. :) DOS or Emulators are all good and everything, but they aren't going to be things that show off its power in terms of the SGX.

Seeing Quake 3 in such a portable form is going to make a lot of people go 'instant buy'. Believe it. ;)

Not just because of the game, but because it shows how capable it is.

I agree, showing games like Turrican 2 which ran fullspeed on the GP2X isn't what I want to see. Amiga games that didn't work full speed like Project X and Jimi White Snooker would be better. Then obviously a collection of PS1 games, I'm thinking Wipeout, R-Type Delta and Formula 1 would be a great start.

To think we'll be able to test these games out ourselves within a few weeks (hopefully), is an exciting prospect!

I'd love to see DOS Lemmings running under DOSBox using the touch screen in place of the mouse :D

'Monk' said:
I'd love to see DOS Lemmings running under DOSBox using the touch screen in place of the mouse :D
Aw, man. Lemmings 2 on the Pandora would be a lot of fun. Haven't played it in ages, think it was on my dad's 486 many many years ago.

I ran WarCraft 2 (and played through first level :p) on the unit; I only took a photo or two, because I don't have time to muck with youtube. ie: I can shoot a quick video wit my camcorder (which is in mpeg2 so easy), but spending an hour uploading it to youtube sounds like a big waste of time :)

jeff

I hope they show the following emulator (some have already been posted on YouTube):

MegaDrive - for some old school fun
SNES - ditto
PSX - working with sound, menus? - eboot files loading up
NeoGeo - would love to see this with sound - with iron clad/airwings/waku waku7
Atari ST & Amiga - just to show versatility and open up to people who still use these machines for normal use (i.e pandora shown with apps working at full speed on portable device)
MAME - playing the games that would not work on GP2X

General apps
Firefox - for web browsing
Abiword - to show word processing
GNumeric - for spreadsheet
Calender - well any calender that can hook up to outlook would be a big plus for attracting users to PDA capabilities of pandora
And how to create folders on desktop using matchbox theme did try on qemu PC build of angstrom but could not fathom out how

Back