A Plea To Extend The Re-ordering Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazza558

Today, MWeston shared a video showing the first Prototype Pandora actually working, but not in the same sense as I imagined. I appreciate that MWeston hasn't got the latest Angstrom image to show people at the moment, and the video would have been impressive in its own right, but the announcement that re-orders must be made by next week has almost removed the excitement for me entirely. The problem is, the latest demo hasn't shown anything practical, useful or usable (except the video playback and touchscreen) - and those who haven't repaid yet are expected to place their money down based on what they've seen.

Based purely on the video, I can't actually see myself finding the Pandora useful - although I know it would be if an updated Angstrom demo was shown, with Wifi web browsing, a music player, the Pandora being independent (not connected to a PC) and other apps used effectively.

As I say, I'd be just as excited as everyone else if there was more time for the developers to show off the software before the cut-off date which is 2 months before even the first Pandora is shipped.

The video was just thrown together because of all the clamoring for a video nownownow. There are already other videos showing the Angstrom / Matchbox UI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
The video was just thrown together because of all the clamoring for a video nownownow. There are already other videos showing the Angstrom / Matchboox OS.

4000 people ordered with no prototype whatsoever, now that something tangible is shown re-orders need to be extended.

How about no.

The problem is that production is going to start when we have a definite amount of orders. So we need a deadline, and at that point, that many pandora's (+a percentage for replacements and spares) will be ordered.

If we wait until the software is fully complete, the product will just take even longer to get into your hands. It is much better to finalise the software whilst the production is ongoing, and then when they come of the production line, they can be flashed, tested, and posted, rather than everyone twiddling there thumbs waiting for the production units as everything else is finished.

I'm sure the people who have already paid would prefer there units sooner, rather than later.

Also, you fail to notice that also the keyboard, both analog controllers, and shoulder buttons are shown working the demo. The only thing missing is the Wifi, which we know the hardware works, but the software isn't ready.

mazza558 said:
The problem is, the latest demo hasn't shown anything practical, useful or usable (except the video playback and touchscreen) - and those who haven't repaid yet are expected to place their money down based on what they've seen.

Based purely on the video, I can't actually see myself finding the Pandora useful - although I know it would be if an updated Angstrom demo was shown, with Wifi web browsing, a music player, the Pandora being independent (not connected to a PC) and other apps used effectively.
You've got to be kidding?! You already know what it can do, like chip said just look at all the previous videos. sooner OP get money off the people who need to re-order the sooner it can be manufactured, I couldn't give a shit about the people who are erming ahhing, if they still need to be convinced then they might as well just do everyone a favour and get a refund.

:confused:

How about the first time round, when people placed their orders not having seen anything except the beagleboard? There has been an angstrom demo, you've seen the hardware working in the prototype casework, and I think there are plenty of people who are prepared to place orders now based on what they've seen.

If you want to wait, that's fine - just don't expect to be able to keep your place in the queue, because I want it. Given that parts have already been bought, it makes sense to ensure that as many cash orders are taken so all 4000 units have a home before they roll off the production line, rather than reserve them for a guy who seems to be undecided now that production is closer.

P90Puma said:
Chip said:
The video was just thrown together because of all the clamoring for a video nownownow. There are already other videos showing the Angstrom / Matchboox OS.

4000 people ordered with no prototype whatsoever, now that something tangible is shown re-orders need to be extended.

How about no.

+1

Sorry but if you don't get the potential of the Pandora yet drop out of the pre-order race already. I'll be pre-ordering again within the week, and if for some reason it's going to take a couple of extra days to sort out I'll e-mail the Openpandora team to get a small time extension. That's as much flexibility as anyone who genuinely wants a Pandora should need.

Don't move the re-order deadline...

We can see an FDM with anstrom later. If people are still unsure they should wait for a future batch.

I'm going to have to agree with chip. We've already seen angstrom running on the Panda. Why is it necessary to view it on the completed FDM version?

Personally, depending on performance, I will be using Ubuntu's 9.04 ARM build.

There already were videos of angstrom and stuff running on the pandora. This last video was just to show the first completed Pandora actually working. Everyone realizing this seems to be happy about the video anyway...

Dear openpandora team, please do not under any circumstances not involving my order extend the deadline. I don't want to wait any longer.

Gah! Now I'm on the fence again! I thought I was over this point (as I obviously was when I ordered and even set up the unofficial blog).

I just expected the software to be more workable than it currently is, despite warnings that it'd be a bit rough to start with - I didn't expect this rough.

My current thinking, therefore, if the re-order cutoff is so early, and people won't get their Pandoras until April (May/June, taking into account manufacturing delays, packaging and QA), it's probably more sensible for me to become a second-batcher and grab one around July/August time. By then I'll get to see more polished stuff (or whether, unlikely as it is, the project has been pushed back into Sept/October).

(P.S - I guaranteee that if I pull out of the first batch, the next day there'll be this mind-blowing video of the final thing in the final case running Doom III at 60 FPS, or something ridiculously cool, and I'll regret it :p)

While I disagree with mazza558 (my re-pre-order was placed earlier today) I can see the point. I do NOT want any further slippage to the delivery date if it can bve avoided, but I AM a little more anxious that OpenPandora get as many pre-orders as possible. Even if they have passed a theoretical "minimum amount" (unstated) I imagine that the larger each batch is the cheaper they will be to make, so refilling the original 4000 units would be optimum, for OPs finances. If they haven't passed the "minimum amount" yet then it's even more important that people cough up!

Without dismissing the problems that there have been, or waving away the real risks in being involved in this venture as a cash-up-fron-customer, I feel we should be encouraging reprepurchases rather than dismissing potential Pandora-owners.

MWeston has had the FDM case for about two days now IIRC - and in that time we've had two videos! Superb work, showing what many have been asking for - a completed hardware prototype, showing that the gubbins can actually fit in the case (and better still, showing that they paid attention and modified the battery cover design to PANDER to the customers!). I rather hope that, some time in the next 7 days, more will be shown of the Pandora booting Angstrom and suchlike. It sounds like manufacturing won't start for at least 3 weeks, so there is time before shipping for the team to show us a lot - but given what MWeston has managed to show in 2 days I think there is room for hope that we will see at least 1 more video before the repreorder process deadline is met - and anyone who misses that has another 2 weeks, potentially, to place a NEW order. So it's not like they're taking away ordering altogether even when repreordering is complete.

mazza558 said:
I just expected the software to be more workable than it currently is, despite warnings that it'd be a bit rough to start with - I didn't expect this rough.
Its rough because Michael isn't using the software that is being worked on. He's busy and probably does have the time to update his hardware to the new distribution just for the point of taking a video when all the software he has at the moment works on his current setup.

However, you have seen the proper Angstrom distribution working in other videos, just not with all the other bits added. So you need to imagine yourself joining all the bits of videos together :)

mazza558 said:
(P.S - I guaranteee that if I pull out of the first batch, the next day there'll be this mind-blowing video of the final thing in the final case running Doom III at 60 FPS, or something ridiculously cool, and I'll regret it :p)
Precisely, you'll regret it if you give up on your pre-order, so don't do so. Go through with the pre-order and if you really can't work with the software when it arrives put the Pandora away somewhere safe until the stability you require is there. That's better than waiting for the second batch.

Personally I think you're worrying over nothing. The Pandora software is coming along nicely by the looks of things, MWeston just didn't have the current Angstrom build to show in his video.

Well, mazza558, just for you I will try to get Angstrom going. I'll need help from the other guys because these big distributions are not my area of expertise. I use the raw kernel and the console for that reason.

I've been reluctant to do it because I didn't want to ruin a card that I use in other devices (not that 2GB cards are expensive so that's a pretty lame excuse) and also ED has done a fantastic job of previewing that stuff. He does better commentary too. I find it hard to get excited when talking to myself and a camera. :)

MWeston said:
Well, mazza558, just for you I will try to get Angstrom going. I'll need help from the other guys because these big distributions are not my area of expertise. I use the raw kernel and the console for that reason.

I've been reluctant to do it because I didn't want to ruin a card that I use in other devices (not that 2GB cards are expensive so that's a pretty lame excuse) and also ED has done a fantastic job of previewing that stuff. He does better commentary too. I find it hard to get excited when talking to myself and a camera. :)
You know, that statement alone may have just convinced me to keep my place in the first batch :D

I just thought it'd be good to see the progress, given that the last we saw of Angstrom was quite a while ago and according to the Pandora git repository, lots of stuff's been done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back