What arcade games would you play in a compo? Would you?

Given MAME and ROM availability, would you play in a compo? (ie: submit scores a few times over a fe

• Yes, awesome, like the good old days

Votes: 33 66.0%
  • Yes. awesome, only if its a game or two I really like

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • No, don't care about measuring up against other people, or don't have time or whatever

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters

Fire up panmame, and any game that persists hiscores between loads should be convertable to c4a. If you want to make adding games easier, theres a post in the other thread about how you can help .. I can repost if needed

Jeffphone

Amazing stuff, skeezix & milkshake. You've nailed it. :)

All we need now are a few more players.

@ ED : How about some kind of official news / facebook post that the Pandora arcade is open.

@ Anyone thinking about giving it a go : Try it, it's really easy to set up and great fun as well, what more could you possibly want?

Just had another thought : Would people be interested in seeing a table that ranked users based on their filtered table positions for all time high scores for all games?

Here is how it could work :

For each game : 20 points for 1st place, 19 point for 2nd, ....... 1 point for 20th

Peoples points tally would be the total points gained for all games in which they ranked inside the top 20

This might well encourage people to try unfamiliar yet classic games, which can only be a good thing :)

It is HUGELY easy to set up, and this could give Pandy a LOT of good publicity!

I'm having a hell of a lot of fun with this thing!  Now we just gotta get even more games in there!  Would love to see Bosconian, New Rally X and Alpine Ski.  Those would be fun!  Sinistar would be fun too, even though I suck at it!

Defender would be a pile of fun, too...so would Joust.  Oh, god I could go on all day with games that would be awesome to have.

I have GOT to get myself a USB joystick that works with Pandy, though, becuase I could score a LOT higher if I had a REAL JOYSTICK instead of the thumb pad.  In particular, I'm thinking Pac Man and Ms. Pac Man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kumaki .. stick with native Pandora; only fair and all :)

I don't get much free time like years ago, so if anyone wants to comb through these two threads, and ..

i) try each game someone wants, and verify that if you register a score, and then quit panmame, and try it againm your score is still there? if so, make a list of these passing games in panmame, and let us know in one post.

ii) if you really want to help, then clear your hi/foo.dat (foo being the mame game name), and then restart panmame and run that game; then quit, and capture the .dat file

iii) even better, then run panmame again, get a hiscore, and capture that new .dat file

Then send me the list of games that are working with hiscore saving, and also the vanilla (untouched) dat file, and the dat file where you've gotten a score in it.

Those items will let me add new games quick.

jeff

OK, I'll go into PanMame and start trying.
You want only games that save highscores after quitting and coming back, right?
I'll start a list and the just edit the same post.

PanMAME game list here of games that retain high scores....

10-Yard fight (not a good candidate since there is a Dip Switch setting for invulnerability)
1941 - Counter Attack
1943: The Battle of Midway
1945k III (an excellent thousand-bullet hell game)
4-D Warriors (just weird)
Act-Fancer Cybernetick Hyper Weapon (another weird one)
Aero Fighters
Air Buster
Air Duel
Airwolf
Aliens
Anteater
Arbalester
Armed Formation

Ashura Blaster

Asteroids Deluxe (can't make regular Asteroids work on PanMAME)

I am now thru the A's and taking a break.

I'm embarrassingly unable to verify Arkanoid, just not good enough at it with the Pandy controls.
Same goes for Arkanoid 2 - Revenge of DOH.
I tried to verify R-Type but I can't. Embarrassingly, I am not good enough at it to get on any scoreboard.
I CAN confirm Frogger works.
Can't confirm Scramble, can't make the controls work...aren't you supposed to be able to fire forward as well as drop bombs in that game?
I do not possess AD&D Towers of Doom
Happily, I can verify Time Pilot. It works. Even better, Time Pilot '84 works!
Now, for Gradius, you need to use the ROM for "Nemesis" and it does work.
Road Blasters would not work at speed on my unit, so I don't have it on there.

Lets get some more modern stuff in there for us younger ones.  Would love to see shooters like R-Type, Darius, and Gradius added, and maybe some beat-em-ups in the vein of Final Fight or TMNT.

Kumaki, try picking ones that've been mentioned, since theres a good spread and gets people interested (though at the same time, picking peoples favsd means theres usually a clear dominator, which is annoying :) -- if you're going to hit all 10,000 roms in a row, it'll take you forever, and only a few meaty ones that people really want, and they'll be in alphabetical order :)

Verify R-Type, Frogger, Scramble, AD&D Towers of Doom, Time Pilot, Gradius if it works at all, Road Blaster, I dunno, stuff mentioned.

jeff

Lets get some more modern stuff in there for us younger ones.  Would love to see shooters like R-Type, Darius, and Gradius added, and maybe some beat-em-ups in the vein of Final Fight or TMNT.
Pbbbbblt.

Nothing beats the good OLD stuff.  Nothing.

Kumaki, try picking ones that've been mentioned, since theres a good spread and gets people interested (though at the same time, picking peoples favsd means theres usually a clear dominator, which is annoying :) -- if you're going to hit all 10,000 roms in a row, it'll take you forever, and only a few meaty ones that people really want, and they'll be in alphabetical order :)

Verify R-Type, Frogger, Scramble, AD&D Towers of Doom, Time Pilot, Gradius if it works at all, Road Blaster, I dunno, stuff mentioned.

jeff
I'll try.

but I'm using the roms I have, and, as you suspected, I WAS going in alphabetical order.

My main reason for doing that is so not to repeat.

I'll check the few you just mentioned here now, but I want to keep in alpha, so I don't check the same game three freaking times.

It is HUGELY easy to set up, and this could give Pandy a LOT of good publicity!

I'm having a hell of a lot of fun with this thing!  Now we just gotta get even more games in there!  Would love to see Bosconian, New Rally X and Alpine Ski.  Those would be fun!  Sinistar would be fun too, even though I suck at it!

Defender would be a pile of fun, too...so would Joust.  Oh, god I could go on all day with games that would be awesome to have.

I have GOT to get myself a USB joystick that works with Pandy, though, becuase I could score a LOT higher if I had a REAL JOYSTICK instead of the thumb pad.  In particular, I'm thinking Pac Man and Ms. Pac Man.
I would LOVE to see defender on the list!

1. We need an up to date list of ZIP files needed. It's already understood that these need to be .106, but exactly which ones do we want?

2. Needs an offline mode - I work nights, which are 12 hours. I can't connect my Pandora to wifi before the battery dies. An option to sync your highscores later on would be excellent.

D.

1. We need an up to date list of ZIP files needed. It's already understood that these need to be .106, but exactly which ones do we want?
They're all the default ones rather than any variants (if you use Mame on a PC with a GUI, it'll be the one that comes up first in a search for that game) -

bublbobl.zip

dkong.zip

fshark.zip

galaxian.zip

invaders.zip

mrdo.zip

mspacman.zip

pulstar.zip

rygar.zip

I don't get much free time like years ago, so if anyone wants to comb through these two threads, and ..

i) try each game someone wants, and verify that if you register a score, and then quit panmame, and try it againm your score is still there? if so, make a list of these passing games in panmame, and let us know in one post.

ii) if you really want to help, then clear your hi/foo.dat (foo being the mame game name), and then restart panmame and run that game; then quit, and capture the .dat file

iii) even better, then run panmame again, get a hiscore, and capture that new .dat file

Then send me the list of games that are working with hiscore saving, and also the vanilla (untouched) dat file, and the dat file where you've gotten a score in it.

Those items will let me add new games quick.

jeff
Made a dedicated thread for this here, looks like ASMO has been busy already :)

I just wanted to say that i'v recently got a very time consuming job. There's no way i'd be able to compete anymore.
You don't have to actively compete; you can just play, and if you happen to get onto a scoreboard.. great! Remember it also tracks an all-time scoreboard for each game, which is much easier to get on and stay on (top-500 and all :)

I will also be adding a 'personal bests' type scoring, to let you see your own profile page with your scores ranked, that sort of thing. Keep it fun for people like me, who suck :)

jeff

I just wanted to say that i'v recently got a very time consuming job. There's no way i'd be able to compete anymore.
You don't have to actively compete; you can just play, and if you happen to get onto a scoreboard.. great! Remember it also tracks an all-time scoreboard for each game, which is much easier to get on and stay on (top-500 and all :)

I will also be adding a 'personal bests' type scoring, to let you see your own profile page with your scores ranked, that sort of thing. Keep it fun for people like me, who suck :)

jeff
 I do not know you personally but I can say with conviction that you Sir Skeezik have done so much for this commmunity. You do not suck but rather you are luck and we are lucky you are here. :D   ...cheap rhyme  :p

Remember that!!

Last edited:
Good job Kumaki :)

Donkey Kong Jr.

gold.png
AFB Kumaki 38400 2013/03/26

silver.png
BOB drcjboduma 24000 2013/03/25

bronze.png
CLA Jumpman 22900 2013/03/25

Back