Founder of Pirate Games - Penjin Coder
Staff member
Website
pokeparadox.itch.io
WEBSITE
https://github.com/pokeparadox
YOUTUBE
pokeparadox
OK it's been a topsy turvy set of days, my Pandora was stolen, then was handed into the station, I've had the community display amazing generosity...
In any case I'm left with the very kind donation of a 2nd Batch Pandora pre-order!

I want to give this back to the community in the fairest way I can think of and that is as a competition prize. I would also rather if the competition was something that would drive up some community creativity, i.e. more software!

One idea I've had is make a game in the theme of "Getting your stolen Pandora back!" preferably using Penjin?
General Coding Compo?
Just Donate to be a prize in Summer Coding Compo?

I'm aware GPSpain Compo is running and the Summer Compo is incoming so I'm not sure. I don't want to hang onto this Pandora since that wouldn't be right, I also don't think it's fair for me to give it to someone I know personally.

So ideas? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no experience with pandora programming, but I want to make a beat em up like Dragon Ball GT: Transformation on the GBA. lets see how this goes.

w00t first post

bte: how do I use penjin?

Crap Game Compo! Not hard to code for, anyone can do it, even if they don't have a Pandora! I remember how it created fun at least for the then depressed GP2X crowd, even some who could not program a calculator before it managed to make a crap game!

To be honest, you maybe should make a compo closer to when the second batch are coming.

you could convert the pandora to cash by creating a donate X dollars to be part of a raffle in which the prize is the pandora. The money raised by the raffle could in turn be a prize for a coding competition for the lost pandora game or what not.

This way everyone can join in and everyone benefits from it.

Make a demo competition :D
Maybe only demos that run on a pandora, or demos about the pandora...

Com64 said:
wait, how do I actually COMPILE SDL for the pandora... can I just post the source code?
I am not sure I understand what you mean. In general you have link against the SDL libraries and use the functions provided by the SDL library to draw your stuff on the screen.
It seems like you are a very early beginner, so you might want to start here if you are really interested in SDL programming (and not just want to quickly snatch a Pandora in this competition - which won't work btw):
http://lazyfoo.net/S...rials/index.php
also search the Pandora dev section for more (old) threads about learning to code (good search words would be: "programming" "beginner" "noob" "help" "start" "SDL")

euleberlin said:
Make a demo competition :D
Maybe only demos that run on a pandora, or demos about the pandora...

Hmm I would prefer a competition with programs and/or games people can actually use after the contest ;)

All in all it is a good idea, though I think if it has to be a separate competition it should not take place soon (maybe before the 2nd batch, like yodaofborg suggested) to not divide the devs between the already existing ones and this one.

foxblock out

Suggestions:
1) email http://basiliskgames.com/ and see if they will port their game(s) if they are sent a free Pandora.
2) email http://www.linuxgamepublishing.com/ and see if any of them would be willing to port any of their games for a free Pandora.
3) email http://www.elecorn.com/caster3d/ and see if they will compile their iPhone(ARM and GL-ES)/Linux version for Pandora.
4) email [your independent game developer] and see if they will port [a game they make you like] for a free Pandora.

MonkeyChops said:
Nod51 said:
3) email http://www.elecorn.com/caster3d/ and see if they will compile their iPhone(ARM and GL-ES)/Linux version for Pandora.

I thought caster was already going to be ported :blink: or have I completely lost it?

Umm if it is then I missed it, been months since i looked at the commercial porting thread and didn't see or don't remember. Great news if you are right though!

this is the link i was thinking about
http://openpandora.wordpress.com/2009/01/30/caster-the-game-headed-for-pandora/

pretty old link though

Com64; really, you're starting at the bottom; your questions have nothign to do with Pandora; you're trying ot tackle 'learning how to program'. It is generally best to start doing that for your local machine before targeting a handheld, but at least Pandora is much friendlier than most, so you might be able to ignore that advice.

Whjat you do need to do, is start following 'how to program' tutorials all over the net (non-pandora specific.) Learning basics of C/C++, or Python or Java or whatever, is where you need to go. Not in this thread :)

jeff

(And I mean this in the most positive sense; learning to run is the way to go, every time, and we're all about hackng and coding and so on on this site; but you're asking the first-step questions, and you can do that here, but I mean for you to also look up tutorials all over the place. Theres piles of very good resources all over.)

skeezix said:
Com64; really, you're starting at the bottom; your questions have nothign to do with Pandora; you're trying ot tackle 'learning how to program'. It is generally best to start doing that for your local machine before targeting a handheld, but at least Pandora is much friendlier than most, so you might be able to ignore that advice.

Whjat you do need to do, is start following 'how to program' tutorials all over the net (non-pandora specific.) Learning basics of C/C++, or Python or Java or whatever, is where you need to go. Not in this thread :)

jeff

(And I mean this in the most positive sense; learning to run is the way to go, every time, and we're all about hackng and coding and so on on this site; but you're asking the first-step questions, and you can do that here, but I mean for you to also look up tutorials all over the place. Theres piles of very good resources all over.)

Agreed. Here's a great place to start: http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/introduction/

:)

Com64 said:
how do you compile C++ for the pandora?
Exactly the same way you compile C++ for the x86, with a compiler (gcc notably)
There are two ways to do it: you can compile on the platform itself (ie, you build x86 programs on an x86, and you can build Pandora applications on the Pandora); or you can cross compile.
There are pros and cons to both. Don't listen to anyone who tells you cross compiling is bollocks :p
Since you don't have a Pandora (I think?) or any convenient substitute (you could also build on a BeagleBoard, for example) your only option is to cross compile. Cross compile means you build an application for one platform on a different platform (ie, build for the Pandora on an x86)
If you are on linux, cross compiling is "easy". If you're on Windows, it's a little more difficult, but not by much. By easy, I mean it takes a couple more steps than straight building. You need: a cross compiler, like gcc, except designed to output ARM compatible code instead of x86; and you need the Pandora libraries, mostly the same as the x86 libraries, except they've already been run through the cross compiler to be ARM compatible. To get an ARM compatible library, sometimes it already exists and you can download it from the website, sometimes you need to build it from source with the cross compiler, and others you can rip out of the Angstrom (ie, the Pandora) repo; this is the hardest part of cross compiling, and when you're ready I'll be happy to help. Getting a cross compiler is easy. When you're ready to compile, instead of using regular "gcc", you use "gcc-arm" or whatever the cross compiler is actually called, and it spits out a Pandora compatible program.
But all of that is quite a ways down the road. First you need to learn to program. :)
If you stick with cross platform libraries like gtkmm and sdl, then you should have no problems adapting whatever you write for x86 to run on the Pandora, so no fear about learning "bad habits".

MonkeyChops said:
you could convert the pandora to cash by creating a donate X dollars to be part of a raffle in which the prize is the pandora. The money raised by the raffle could in turn be a prize for a coding competition for the lost pandora game or what not.

This I like - a donation drive... which drums up money for the coding compo, and regulars get a chance to win a Pand for a minimal fee!

The coding compo could then be judged on different criteria depending on how much is raised. Yeah I think this could work really well!

WizardStan said:
Com64 said:
how do you compile C++ for the pandora?
Exactly the same way you compile C++ for the x86, with a compiler (gcc notably)
There are two ways to do it: you can compile on the platform itself (ie, you build x86 programs on an x86, and you can build Pandora applications on the Pandora); or you can cross compile.
There are pros and cons to both. Don't listen to anyone who tells you cross compiling is bollocks
tongue.gif

Since you don't have a Pandora (I think?) or any convenient substitute (you could also build on a BeagleBoard, for example) your only option is to cross compile. Cross compile means you build an application for one platform on a different platform (ie, build for the Pandora on an x86)
If you are on linux, cross compiling is "easy". If you're on Windows, it's a little more difficult, but not by much. By easy, I mean it takes a couple more steps than straight building. You need: a cross compiler, like gcc, except designed to output ARM compatible code instead of x86; and you need the Pandora libraries, mostly the same as the x86 libraries, except they've already been run through the cross compiler to be ARM compatible. To get an ARM compatible library, sometimes it already exists and you can download it from the website, sometimes you need to build it from source with the cross compiler, and others you can rip out of the Angstrom (ie, the Pandora) repo; this is the hardest part of cross compiling, and when you're ready I'll be happy to help. Getting a cross compiler is easy. When you're ready to compile, instead of using regular "gcc", you use "gcc-arm" or whatever the cross compiler is actually called, and it spits out a Pandora compatible program.
But all of that is quite a ways down the road. First you need to learn to program.
smile.gif

If you stick with cross platform libraries like gtkmm and sdl, then you should have no problems adapting whatever you write for x86 to run on the Pandora, so no fear about learning "bad habits".

yeah I dont have a pandora yet, but how whould I get a beagle board?

Yeah, cross-compiling is what I need to do, I guess, but I cant test out my code that way.

My computers are as follows:
an old dell laptop with windows xp pro
a new HP Mini with Windows 7 Ultimate

when I get my mini back from getting fixed in a week or so, I will install Angstrom or Arch linux on it as a secondary operating system for programming. I am using use dev-c++ and SDL. I am a pretty fast learner when it comes to these things I guess...

PokeParadox said:
MonkeyChops said:

This I like - a donation drive... which drums up money for the coding compo, and regulars get a chance to win a Pand for a minimal fee!

The coding compo could then be judged on different criteria depending on how much is raised. Yeah I think this could work really well!

I wish I could be part of the donation drive. I really miss out on things...

anyway I hope I get my pandora eventually.

the idea is to raffle off the pandora. you get a raffle ticket/entry by donating to a coding competition. the money collected is the prize for said competition.

So unless you can't come up with a small amount of money for an entry you can at least be part of the raffle for a free pandora and also benifit from the product of the coding competition. once you (and me for that matter) learn to code I'm sure there will be plenty of competitions you could be a part of. :)

@pokeparadox, if you want to increase how much money is generated by this you could allow people to buy more than one entry but I'd set the limit at 5 so its not unfair to people who can't afford boat loads of tickets. If someone was still willing to trade thier first bactch slot (long shot), that would also increase how much was generated. there is also the question of how you will pick the winner. I'd know about anyone else but I don't trust random generators, mostly because they aren't random :p

MonkeyChops said:
@PokeParadox, if you want to increase how much money is generated by this you could allow people to buy more than one entry but I'd set the limit at 5 so its not unfair to people who can't afford boat loads of tickets. If someone was still willing to trade thier first bactch slot (long shot), that would also increase how much was generated. there is also the question of how you will pick the winner. I'd know about anyone else but I don't trust random generators, mostly because they aren't random :p

that offer still stands.

Com64 said:
Yeah, cross-compiling is what I need to do, I guess, but I cant test out my code that way.

when I get my mini back from getting fixed in a week or so, I will install Angstrom or Arch linux on it as a secondary operating system for programming. I am using use dev-c++ and SDL. I am a pretty fast learner when it comes to these things I guess...
Don't worry about cross-compiling. Stick with SDL and use some simple coding practices and anything you write should be portable to the Pandora. Just compile and run it on your regular computer until you're ready to start testing on a Pandora.
Also I recommend against Dev-C++. Years ago it was one of the better IDEs for Windows and I'd often suggest it, but it hasn't been updated in 5 years. Code::Blocks is a more modern, free IDE that continues to be updated with new features and bug fixes. It's pretty good.
If you have any questions, the folks at Cpp-Home are pretty smart and always willing to help. The home page also has some tutorials that may be useful.

Back