What arcade games would you play in a compo? Would you?

Given MAME and ROM availability, would you play in a compo? (ie: submit scores a few times over a fe

• Yes, awesome, like the good old days

Votes: 33 66.0%
  • Yes. awesome, only if its a game or two I really like

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • No, don't care about measuring up against other people, or don't have time or whatever

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters

Looks really great! congratulations!

I see BOB has some score on rygar there hehe, I wish I could take part ;)

Is there a way to differentiate the difficulty levels on the games?

A replay option would really kick!

I really like the page! :)  

Looks good, but too many BOB on Donkey Kong.

Scoreboard hog.

Their best ONLY should display..  One entry to a person.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoreboard hog.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to add this as an optional display mode? Perhaps add a checkbox for it near the top where you have the buttons to select the display period.

- Neelix

Keep bugging us .. theres thigns milkshake can do on his side, and/or things I can do on the backend.

Theres lots of things we can do still as well, such as integration with the boards etc.. but not nearly enough free time :)

jeff

Love the new look website for the scores, great work milkshake & skeezix.

Would it be possible / desirable to show gold, silver & bronze (1st, 2nd & 3rd) trophies on the homepage?

Scoreboard hog.

Or even better, an option to display one entry per person, with your default view preferences saved via cookie / login.

That way everybody is happy. :)

Roll on the first competition say I. :)

The first one is easy gold/silver/bronze trophies.

Only showing 1 person per table is not really doable without having massive chunks/gaps missing from the table plus how would you know who the chunks/gaps belong to?
I could replicate skeezix and show first score and then skip sequential entries from the same person that directly followed another.

But if you really want a league where only your highest score counts then this would need to be done at the skeezix end :) I prefer that idea though as it stops massive waves of scores by the same person. (not mentioning any names "bob" "cough" "cough").

okay okay, I can work on it.

I need to clean up the "API" to the server side; obviousl;y I didn't think ahead too much when I 'designed' (ha!) it, so I'll have to consider it. But perhaps jst adding &filter=onceonly" or something is the way to go, for that sort of thing..

jeff

I need to clean up the "API" to the server side; obviousl;y I didn't think ahead too much when I 'designed' (ha!) it, so I'll have to consider it. But perhaps jst adding &filter=onceonly" or something is the way to go, for that sort of thing..

jeff
It also occurs to me that once it is filtered, it should be a simple matter to number the results sequentially, ignoring the original rankings...

- Neelix

Its always simple to do one way, but trying to offer 'everythhing to everyone' is where it gets hard. To me, I'm keeping all the data and just showing some records; myself, I like to see that something is hidden (hence showing ... and also the real numbers.) Others may want to just purely filter out and suppress such hints, or variations inbetween. I'm trying to leave some of that for the 'frontends' like milkshakes, while putting some in the server. (example: say we want to show just a few rows in some cases, not the works, then it makes sense ot have a row limiter on the server, to avoid sending useless traffic across the network; but to me, really coimplex UI choices coudl be done client-side to keep server lean. Always a funny decision where to draw the line.)

Or sometimes you just decide.. 'there is no ideal way, but the best overall for everyone is _this_, and people will deal with it' <- the Apple way, but often also the right way.

So if 90% of people just don't want to see scoreboard spam, then I can just do that, and call it a day, rather than paramaterizing everything to hell and making the code messy. ie: Original goal, making it work more or less how the machins work, may not be the real goal anymore.

jeff

Or sometimes you just decide.. 'there is no ideal way, but the best overall for everyone is _this_, and people will deal with it' <- the Apple way, but often also the right way.

So if 90% of people just don't want to see scoreboard spam, then I can just do that, and call it a day, rather than paramaterizing everything to hell and making the code messy. ie: Original goal, making it work more or less how the machins work, may not be the real goal anymore.

jeff
I can filter the duplicates out but didn't want to do anything like that unless the no duplicates becomes an officially recognised position for the participant and not just a simple filtered view.

Scoreboard hog.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to add this as an optional display mode? Perhaps add a checkbox for it near the top where you have the buttons to select the display period.

- Neelix
Well, even THAT would be okay.

I don't want MY best scores obliterated by a Scoreboard Hog.

That is why I like the idea of ONE entry per person.

jeff
It also occurs to me that once it is filtered, it should be a simple matter to number the results sequentially, ignoring the original rankings...

- Neelix

Exactly.

what about THIS...which would cater to everyone?

The MAIN list is filtered, one entry only per person.

You have a checkbox where you can access your OWN list of your OWN  best scores...and hog that scoreboard all you want, since each person would have their own, lol.

It would go by a cookie so it knows who you are.  then, you have the main list, one entry per person...and you have a checkbox where you can change to all your own best scores, and then everyone should be happy.

By the way, I have not yet downloaded this...I have been playing around with DraStic.

This is next on my list to download and begin playing around with.

Boy oh boy I got so much good stuff on my Pandy now it is unbelievable.

Ok everyone I have updated http://c4a.openpandora.org thanks to a few suggestions (and chat with skeezix).

* added a filtered view (on by default) with a toggle to switch to viewing all scores (including duplicates).

* added (for Mr_Loon) silver and bronze trophies on top of the already existing gold trophy into the scoreboard.

* corrected spelling of "current month) thanks to mcobit.

Enjoy!

I AM enjoying!!

Got #7 on the filtered list for Ms. PacMan, #8 on Galaxian, #5 on Space Invaders, and #10 on Mr. Do!

Great work, guys, and thanks for the filtered list!

Nice to be able to see all scores, too, to see where that stacks up, but I really like the filtered List, so that everyone only gets one entry, so I can see where I stack up against other players, without a huge amount of the same player.

this is really awesome stuff, I am hoping to see more and more and LOTS MORE games added to this!

I do not have the Pulstar rom, though... :(   same for Flying Shark.

I know better than to ASK, though...

This is so Awesome!

Thanks to all involved, this is so fun to play and compete. The score site is super cool and very well made. I'm so looking forward to more new games. Rolling Thunder, Frogger, Bezerk I can't wait. I think I might try to play tonight, and go for that Ms. Pacman score, as it is the only one that is in my reach. Bubble Bobble got to crazy, to fast. LOL

Chris

Would LOVE to see Rolling Thunder, Frogger and Berzerk!!

Frogger I actually might stand a chance in!

EDIT: I'd REALLY love to see Crazy Climber, because I will kick anybody's ass at that, any time any where.

Would LOVE to see Rolling Thunder, Frogger and Berzerk!!

Frogger I actually might stand a chance in!

EDIT: I'd REALLY love to see Crazy Climber, because I will kick anybody's ass at that, any time any where.

I love the new uncluttered scoreboard, thanks a lot milkshake :)

This is really shaping up :)

Maybe you should somewhere add a link to the repo page of c4a as well, so people know where to get the emulator when they stumble upon the scoreboard.

Nice, all it needs for authenticity is a scratch 'n sniff card with the smell of fried food, and a few well placed cigarette burns around the D-Pad. ;)

Wow, that new scoreboard sure is purdy!

One request - I reckon it'd be preferable if on switching from filtered to the unfiltered view, the awards (silver, bronze) stayed on the same entries they were on before.  So if LVI had scores of 10000, 9000 and 8000, and VIC had 7000 and 6000, and BOB had 5000, the gold would be on the 10000 score (as it currently is), but the silver would be on the 7000 and the bronze on 5000.

Back