What arcade games would you play in a compo? Would you?

Given MAME and ROM availability, would you play in a compo? (ie: submit scores a few times over a fe

• Yes, awesome, like the good old days

Votes: 33 66.0%
  • Yes. awesome, only if its a game or two I really like

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • No, don't care about measuring up against other people, or don't have time or whatever

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters

Its trivial to run on any desktop as well, but so far I've been assuming that we want like-versus-like -- a desktop with a gamepad or USB arcade controller woudl be highly unfair against a pandora.

I could open another clone of the system for other platforms.. its in my plans, and trivial to do. But wsomeone would have to drum up traffic for such a thing, as I only have so much time :)

jeff

a desktop with a gamepad or USB arcade controller woudl be highly unfair against a pandora.
This. You don't want to know what my Mr. Do! score is on a real machine or desktop Mame ;)

Pengo works well with the Dpad....

Not much unfair depending on the game I guess.

I've always played on keyboard anyways

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, i could run another server instance and give out a panmame desktop build :0 (i have a linux build, anyway.) but not sure i want to get into supporting that.. Time constraints.

If someone else wants to build a mame for linux, osx and windows, including his ore.dat support, i can rig up the rest of it. (I've taken all my code back oit of mame for c4a, to keep things easy for now.. Hence being a before/after job. I did instrument realtime updates into mame but then i can't use other emus easily and lock to specific versions, etc. we'll see in the future..)

So really, any his ore.dat mame build can work.

I'll just configure another server and good to go..

So whose got the toolchains up for os /win32/linux :)

Jeff

Do people get intimidated by existing high scores? does that put off potential players?

One idea I've tossed around a few times but never got serious about was a profile-page; not much to show on it now, but could for example show 'personal bests' per game. ie: Compete against yourself, not worry about the global scoreboards.

ED had a neat idea.. a 'todays best' as well. Compete for todays champ, and not worry about the monthly champ score.

... ways to make it interesting even for non-epic players :)

jeff

How about keeping the top 10 scores/profiles hidden for a set time period ,

and if you got a high score maybe only you could see your placement ?

I personally don't get discouraged I get encouraged to play my best.

Now if I can find some free time to play, I would be a happy camper!

Do people get intimidated by existing high scores? does that put off potential players?

One idea I've tossed around a few times but never got serious about was a profile-page; not much to show on it now, but could for example show 'personal bests' per game. ie: Compete against yourself, not worry about the global scoreboards.

ED had a neat idea.. a 'todays best' as well. Compete for todays champ, and not worry about the monthly champ score.

... ways to make it interesting even for non-epic players :)

jeff
I think it would be nice....just like the arcades you know, how the machines usually got reseted overnite clearing up day´s highscore pinball way.

Good ideas! About development, really nice that such is possible on desktops, but I don´t have the knowledge to do so.

Anyway, not being selfish, it is a nice scene to keep to pandora and maybe a few open handhelds. Should bring good attention to them.

Great work there! 

Good ideas.  Super-high scores CAN be a real off-putter.  I like the individual profiles as well, so that you can have your personal best saved.  And high scores re-set every week or month or something, so that you get a chance, maybe to get on the board, if only for a while before the super players hog the board again.

another idea:  Only one entry on each game's Board for a player.  That way the same person can't hog the scoreboard from everyone else.

If they get a better score than previous on Board, the new score is saved, the old score wiped...so that, say Kumaki can't have three of the top ten scores on the Board...only one, and the highest one Kumaki achieved.  See?

another idea:  Only one entry on each game's Board for a player.  That way the same person can't hog the scoreboard from everyone else.
The problem seems to be when 2 people are competing for the top score, see all time for Mr Do & Donkey Kong.

Why not just limit it to 1 entry per person on the all time charts? Think of it as like a sporting event where to determine the medals only your best time / performance is recorded.

Looking forward to the first 'official' competition.

Enjoying Rygar as well, never played that one, seems like an early & more fun version of Rastan Saga to me.

another idea:  Only one entry on each game's Board for a player.  That way the same person can't hog the scoreboard from everyone else.The problem seems to be when 2 people are competing for the top score, see all time for Mr Do & Donkey Kong.Why not just limit it to 1 entry per person on the all time charts? Think of it as like a sporting event where to determine the medals only your best time / performance is recorded.Looking forward to the first 'official' competition.Enjoying Rygar as well, never played that one, seems like an early & more fun version of Rastan Saga to me.
I like this idea :) skeezix what do you think?

In my ghetto view, I '...' repeated entries from the same guy.. seems good enough to me. The edge case is where two people (say) go back and forth, so you havea list of A/B/A/B/A/B.., and so I dont' collapse any of that out.

I could pretty easily just not show 'row number', and then drop subsequent views of the same guy, and it would look like that; I prefer not to fudge the _data_ though.. the data shoudl be the whole show, and its the _view_ that changes.

We could offer multiple views.. at milkshakes level in the fancy frontend he's got (say), where he could show the full list, the collapsed list like me, or the filtered list where its all unique names with their best score. (Or he coudl have a radio button, and send the value to me, and my server could do ther filtering, to save on traffic throughput and keep the js easy.) *shrug*.. whatever.

To me, however, I like the way I have it (lol, isnt' that always the way ;) -- I _like_ to see the back and forth combats. ie: I do it liek the real machyines did.. you get a score on, your name goesd with it; the machines could be taken over, 10 slots all the same dude. They didn't know or care who was submitting. We _can_, since we know more.. but .. whats best for everyone? I dunno. Our sample size isn't large, so hard to say whats right for everyone..

(thats a waffle, I know :eek: )

jeff

I agree the back and forth combat is great, I have done that a few times.

But for the sake of encouragement, maybe an easier route?

Altough I don´t have an idea how could that go about.

I holded, and proudly, the highest score on Shoot´em ascii made by Jan Ringos:

http://www.mx-3.cz/tringi/www/Shoot_em_ASCII

That game would be a fine thing runnning on pandora :)  

But the boards got hacked after a long battle between me and a couple chaps.

I have to revisit it soon. Music is just great.

​edit:music on the youtube video is not the one, altough fine, check the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I don't like scoreboard hogs.

If I see a bunch of the same name on the top list, it is offputting to me.

Quite frankly scoreboard hogs piss me off.

Yep, I agree.

Maybe a daily or weekly thing, or hide some of the names, I really would not know how to solve such.

It gets worse let´s say, the top 50 are the same name on way too unreachable score.

Seems to be this is just one of those things where you won't be able to satisfy all of the people all of the time, so making a configurable view sounds ideal to me, if that's possible.

For what it's worth, having the month view reset every four and a half weeks, combined with the '...' solution is enough for me. Although anything that makes my MrDo score look more competitive would be welcomed, naturally.

I guess if ROT2 with prizes (or even just kudos) comes round it'd have to be restricted to one score per participant, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

New fancier web frontend is up (thanks milkshake!)

http://c4a.openpandora.org/

A few features to come yet (I'm holding him up ;) , but much nicer than the ghetto basic links you've had until now (but those will keep working if you like them.)

jeff

Back