What arcade games would you play in a compo? Would you?

Given MAME and ROM availability, would you play in a compo? (ie: submit scores a few times over a fe

• Yes, awesome, like the good old days

Votes: 33 66.0%
  • Yes. awesome, only if its a game or two I really like

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • No, don't care about measuring up against other people, or don't have time or whatever

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters

Oopos, edited.. DKjr. Kumaki has been clamouring for that one I think.

milkshake .. you'll have to find the marquee for that one.

I've been super tied up lately, but I need to add a couple more games soon.. but hard to predict which, depends on easiest out of the Asmo list :)

jeff

Oopos, edited.. DKjr. Kumaki has been clamouring for that one I think.

milkshake .. you'll have to find the marquee for that one.

I've been super tied up lately, but I need to add a couple more games soon.. but hard to predict which, depends on easiest out of the Asmo list :)

jeff
Defender would be nice ;)

Maybe I can finally show off my skill 

Photo on 3-18-13 at 2.22 PM.jpg

Yes, I saw DonkeyKong Jr. was added, and guess who has the number one score there? :D

Incidentally, I'd love to see Bosconian, City Connection, Burgertime, New Rally-X, and Joust as well.

Defender would also be good.

So would Sinistar, even though I suck at that one.  For that matter I suck at Defender, too, but it's still fun - even though I spend most of my time blowing up on that game.

We ARE enjoying!

Ya know what would REALLY be a lot of fun, too?  If we could have a Compo on Atari 2600 games, lol.

How many of us were awesome at Atari in our youth?

But that's another project, no intention to derail this one.  Seriously, Skeezix, great work.  Just planting a bug in your ear for when this thing gets all the games it needs to have!

Non-arcade is fairly painful to do, since floppy/cassette/cart games had no standards at all, high score could be anywhere in RAM/sram at all; ie: for each game, woudl have to do quite a bit of digging, so its not really practical without a massive crowdsourcing effort. Specific games that are already well known coudl be done.. notaz mentioned for example, that Sonic or the like has been pretty well opened up, so maybe he could build somethign into picodrive for a few specific games, to leverage C4A. But who knows...

jeff

Well, it was a thought.

I would be willing to help crowdsourcing, if someone can tell me what to do.

But, as I said, for now, we need to get C4ALL with all the games it needs.  This just got my mind working in that direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeez, how about regular Pac-Man?

and is there any way to have the Ms PacMan be the speed-up version of Ms. PacMan...I do ever so much better on that version!

you know, the one where you go about four times as fast as the rotten ghosts?

Recent activity is nice.  But there ARE some things I really didn't want seen...that 24,000 score on Donkey Kong Jr is just embarrassing!!  LOL!!  at least it will go away quickly, LOL.  Great work, Skeezix, keep it up!!

Still hoping for Frogger & Black Tiger :)

Still loving that feeling of classic arcade nostalgia. :)

Any chance we could get a  simple guide to how to add the compatible games?  I'm having a hard time finding the right files .. 

Any chance we could get a  simple guide to how to add the compatible games?  I'm having a hard time finding the right files ..
Look at the last part of the web addresses for the hi score chart pages to find the zip names, e.g. http://c4a.openpandora.org/#/kod shows that king of dragons is kod.zip
Hope that helps :)

Pacman is pattern based, so I would recommend we skip that one. You can pretty much play for as long as you want, once you know the pattern. There is still skill involved to get a "perfect" game, but otherwise it just depends on how long you want to play.

Joust, Berzerk, Frogger, Dig Dug, Burgertime, Galaga, Time Pilot would all be excellent choices. I'm looking forward to any and all updates. This is some of the best fun I've had since I bought my Pandora.

Chris

A. Isn't Ms. Pac-Man also pattern-based?  I know if I move a certain way, the ghosts always move the same way, too.

B. By now, most people would have forgotten the patterns.

C. Yes, I know they could probably be found on the Internetr.

D. Most would be very rusty at it anyway, and the patterns require perfect timing.  Once you are off the pattern, you're scroogied.

I'm looking for updates to include any of the games you just mentioned...as well as a few I have asked for.  Especially Crazy Climber, because I will kick anyone's keester on that game.  Now, you DO have to go into the settings on that game to set your controls to work, because Crazy Climber did require two joysticks, one for the right hand and one for the left hand.  But it works beautiful for me.

A. Isn't Ms. Pac-Man also pattern-based?  I know if I move a certain way, the ghosts always move the same way, too.
Actually, one of Mrs. Pacmans main program feats, is the randomness of the ghost patters. The team that made it, wanted to make a mod to the standard Pacman game, so that they could use existing hardware, and with a small modification/cost, they would have a whole new game. The other issue was that Pacman stopped making huge returns for arcade owners due to the patterns, so Mrs Pacman(Crazy Otto) main focus was to make sure the ghost would never behave the same way twice.

A lot of those original arcade games had very weak AI, and there are many ways to trick those games in to patterns. Pacman is the easiest to execute, but many have similar flaws. 

Chris

So do you want to eleiminate any games that MIGHT have patterns?

By the way, does anyone know HOW you pass THRU the ghosts on Ms. Pac-Man?  I have tried to duplicate it intentionally, and never can manage.

It always seems to happen...when it does...in the top third of the screen in a long straightaway.  But, beyond that, I have no idea how it happens.

It's all a matter of timing....  If it's done the same way as Pacman the collision detection is based on a single pixel.  If you and the ghost are centred on the same pixel at the same time,  then you die...  Since both you and the Ghosts only ever move one pixel per frame along fixed paths this is usually good enough to trigger it.   Sometimes though if the timing is just right,  you and the ghost can end up centred adjacent pixels and moving in opposite directions.  If both you and the ghost then advance one pixel in the following frame you end up swapping places, and so are never actually on the same pixel at the same time, and you pass right through. 

- Neelix

So do you want to eleiminate any games that MIGHT have patterns?

By the way, does anyone know HOW you pass THRU the ghosts on Ms. Pac-Man?  I have tried to duplicate it intentionally, and never can manage.

It always seems to happen...when it does...in the top third of the screen in a long straightaway.  But, beyond that, I have no idea how it happens.
No not all games, just Pacman. 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/s82nzkZBaek?feature=oembed

Chris

Back