Win A Pandora

Ok, devs without Pandoras. Or as I've just decided to call them, Développeurs sans Pandières.

I believe Ari64 is way down the pre-order list. Also on the emulation tip, Tinnus will kick arse and take names too. Looking broader, Dflemstr is working on The Box, Panorama and other stuff - all beneficial to the wider community. Laurent could be good, if he was still interested of course (he may have moved on to newer platforms through lack of a Pandora, but he's still around the forums).

These are high profile guys anyway. I'd like to hear nominations for some underdogs too, especially people who are more needy than others (financially or whatever). But it can't just be "some guy I know who is broke but a great kernel hacker," it ought to be someone who is also a proven community member.

Question: If it's donated to someone to save them waiting for the next 2,000 units to ship, what to they do with their existing unit? Pass on the donation? Or none of our business maybe? :)

I could be wrong about Tinnus. I know he did all his previous OGL work on PC, and he's re-doing that work now, but I guess I'm only assuming he's without a Pandora. Ari has done all his work on Beagleboard I believe.

pass the donation sounds cool. perhaps 3 or 4 passes down the road and we'll finally figure out how to legally do the donation drive :p
Having the donation pass would also take the pressure off the dev who gets the "Pandora Bump" as it won't be like they are getting paid to preform and make it to much like a job.

list so far:
smoku
Ari64
Tinnus
Dflemstr
Laurent

If Laurent has indeed lost interest in pandora, my vote would probably be for him. I like the idea of getting back lost devs. Perhaps someone needs to send pm's to everyone on the list to see their interest level and see if they do indeed need a pandora.

I'm a Wiz/GP2X dev (I've freely donated B'lox!, Balloonacy, Dicey, Drench, Guru Logic Champs and SantaMania and something else I can't remember right now, with lots in the pipeline) and haven't got a Pandora ;)

Finally, someone with the hide to nominate themselves. :D A worthy nomination too.

Sadly there's less and less interest in this thread it seems, I don't see many people jumping in to make nominations. We can't put a poll together on the back of three or four opinions.

Poke, if you have someone in mind then don't feel bad about just doing it. That's what your donor did after all ;) But if you're really struggling to make the call, maybe a new thread will get people involved a bit more.

Gruso said:
With some patience we will see these things improved over time anyway, thanks to multiple contributors.

Well that's true of games and emulators (and apps in general) too. The difference is that seems to be progressing fairly well as it is, and more importantly, if the new dev puts out some great app, it only effects those who use it it, whereas the firmware effects every Pandora owner.

Gruso said:
^ I agree that would be good, if we could find the right dev with enough time & energy, and the guarantee of results. Checking all those boxes is close to impossible though.

I don't think there's one grand dev out there who will make it all better.

That's not really what I meant. I just mean one more experienced, and motivated person working on these issues would be nice.

I'm just saying if it were up to me (it's not but if it was), and it came down to an app developer or a firmware developer, I'd go with the firmware dev, as that seems to be the most pressing issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
it does seem to garner more interest if one is moaning i must say!

For me I'd chuck out some spamming emails to the payback dev, the chap who did qwak, is that drwhoseitfellow still around who was punting some big name game previously and some of the folks who have done some of the good gp32/2x stuff in the past.

I'm sorry I'm not posting any suggestions - the trouble is, I don't want to end up inadvertently excluding people somehow. :p I'll happily take part in a poll, though. :lol:

@mosschops - "drwhoseitfellow" was, if memory serves, TheGoodDoktor. ;)

Gruso said:
Poke, if you have someone in mind then don't feel bad about just doing it.

i agree. gift it to somebody you like and dont feel bad about afterwards. :)

[sub]i vote for me! ;) [/sub]

I'm certainly in favour of the "vote for your favourite dev" idea.

If we're going to accept nominations though, we should probably start a separate thread.

I'm not sure if the forum poll system is the best system for the final vote though.
It seems a bit open to abuse.

^ I'd be willing to start and supervise the poll, if you want me to do it. You can trust me :p

mali said:
^ I'd be willing to start and supervise the poll, if you want me to do it. You can trust me :p
Sure mali, I have no objections, but if the only options are "Mali, Mali's Cousin, Mali's Aunty, Mali's next door neighbour and Mali's next door neighbour's pet gerbil" then I'd start to get suspicious! :lol:

Just give it to somebody. Make it a question or something.

Win a Pandora, the only thing you have to do is answer THIS question:

"How do you spell padnora?"

Back