Release VVVVVV for Pandora

Thx for the port pickle! I have bought the game with the humble indie bundle, like most other ppl, but never played it that much for some reason. Now I can stop playing angry birds :lol:

I'm thinking that Link's point is that it would be good to be able to directly purchase ports like this as PNDs including the data, so that clear purchasing stats are available, which could be pointed to when asking permission for porting closed, commercial titles. :p

Sure it would, but our current distribution systems to not yet support that.
Oh, I know. :) I was just saying, heh.

Anyway, I second Link - great work on the port, man. :D

Well I just completed this on the Pandora (altho I don't have all the shiny trinkets yet) an I really enjoyed it. Fantastic, original game. The elephant bit was bizarre. Anyone managed to get the really difficult trinket on the Pandora yet? The one thats got the msg screen just before it that says "They'll never get this one".

I also just happened to finish the game last night, i think i have 14 trinkets so far.

The hard trinket is called Veni Vidi Vici, I have attempted to try and get it, the farthest Ive gotten is up and slighty back down ;-)
I actually managed to get that one after I found out how to correct the resolution (set scale to 1), but it still took me about 20-30 tries after correcting the resolution.

Thanks for the great port Pickle. ;)

Pickle, I don't suppose you could add in an option to disable up/down triggering the flip - I lost count of the number of times I died in the tower due to unwanted flips.

+1 from me, rage quitting is unseemly for a man of my age :unsure:

This looks like another forum? Where can I buy the full .PND download? That's what I'm asking for. If you can point me in the right direction, maybe I'm missing something. Thanks for the reply regardless.
The problem I "solved" is the one about them tracking the download. I actively informed them that they now have more money because of the Pandora port.

Sure it would, but our current distribution systems to not yet support that.
Ours don't, but theirs do. The humble bundle already has multiple sources (Windows, Mac, Linux): it would be trivial for them to add a new file, PND, to the Linux section.

edit: you know what would also be nice of me? If I recognized Pickle's hard work and gave him a couple of bucks here and there as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ours don't, but theirs do. The humble bundle already has multiple sources (Windows, Mac, Linux): it would be trivial for them to add a new file, PND, to the Linux section.

That would be interesting if they actually supported pandora officially. But Im skeptical that they would, i think the only way is how we are doing it now.

Just finished trying to add a simple 2x scaler and it performs worse than the opengles render. So will stick with that. I think the only better option is using the hw scaler with the game running at 320x240x32, but im not sure if will work.

Im not too disappointed though running the opengles render at 650 mhz isnt bad in my opinion.

I just tried to launch it on my pandora but all I get is a blacksrceen popping up and disappearing again (the SD led is flickering too, so something is loaded)

I assume I somehow picked the wrong files I used those from my VVVVVV-Folder:

"[graphics] [icons] [levels] [sounds] vvvvvvmusic.vvv" ([ ]-indicates a folder)

I used the linux version from the humble bundle and I'm on the latest hotfix.

What do I do wrong?

u need the folder called "data" just copy the entire directory not just the contents to the appdata folder "vvvvvv"

u need the folder called "data" just copy the entire directory not just the contents to the appdata folder "vvvvvv"
I'm sorry that was I typo, I used the files inside of "data" .

Or should my path look like this appdata/vvvvvv/data ?

I copied the content of data into appdata/vvvvvv/

thanks, works like a charm.

I would be greate if the actionkey could be maped to a,b,x,y

thanks, works like a charm.

I would be greate if the actionkey could be maped to a,b,x,y
i thought A was the action key, B is back and the other two don't seem to do anything. It is fine for me but I don't see a point in having all buttons being the action key.

i thought A was the action key, B is back and the other two don't seem to do anything. It is fine for me but I don't see a point in having all buttons being the action key.
I meant one of those, I simply forgot to try a, I'd prefer X as action, but that's not important, awesome port!

I think this should go into the repo

Just wondering if FoxBlock had any influence for his game from this, see a resemblance.
You mean Greyout?

VVVVVV probably had an influence on it as I played it before and in many cases it's a prime example of good game design (make up a new and interesting new mechanic and _fully_ explore it).

I have not drawn any direct inspiration from it, so any resemblance is kind of unintended (yet possible).

I am wondering, where exactly do you see the resemblance? (It's probably a good thing, so I might emphasise on this in the currently running development of the final version).

You mean Greyout?

VVVVVV probably had an influence on it as I played it before and in many cases it's a prime example of good game design (make up a new and interesting new mechanic and _fully_ explore it).

I have not drawn any direct inspiration from it, so any resemblance is kind of unintended (yet possible).

I am wondering, where exactly do you see the resemblance? (It's probably a good thing, so I might emphasise on this in the currently running development of the final version).
Yessir, Greyout. Resemblance in spikes being bad and just puzzle like feel for different rooms similar to Greyout to me. I never played this game, played the demo and thought of Greyout. What you did with b/w colors is kind of similar to using the ceilings and walls for movement, but I'm sure this is all open to interpretation.

Thanks for the reply!

Yessir, Greyout. Resemblance in spikes being bad and just puzzle like feel for different rooms similar to Greyout to me. I never played this game, played the demo and thought of Greyout. What you did with b/w colors is kind of similar to using the ceilings and walls for movement, but I'm sure this is all open to interpretation.

Thanks for the reply!
Ohhh, now that you mention it, I think I did actually get direct inspiration from VVVVVV in the form of the spikes. I also mention it in the credits... now that is kind of embarrassing ;) (in my defence, I am currently designing a few new levels and re-designing the old ones and I want to focus on the b/w mechanic and want to use spikes as an obstacle less).

Sorry for the off-topic.

Hi,

Just bought the game, and it works like a charm on the Pandora :)

I love the music btw !!!

Bye and thanks for the port, Magic Sam

Back