Release VVVVVV for Pandora

THIS WAS IT! :D
The game just din't creat an hidden .vvvvvv folder within the vvvvvv appdata folder, I had to create it manualy to make saves work. Now it works like it should. Quicksaves, Autosaves, everything. Only the slightly wrong aspect ratio remains but besides that, everything works fine. :)

I just did this too, and indeed save now work for me too.

I would have preferred saves in a visible folder myself (so I don't have to put the card into my card reader on my PC to backup the files), but oh well. At least it works now.

I do think this should be included in the pnd, so that it automatically creates this folder if there isn't one there, as it's not really something your average user (read: none of us) is going to automatically know how to do, even if told to do it in a readme.

Interestingly enough, the game runs slower once the hidden folder is in place - it was nice and zippy for me at stock speed before, but after put in the hidden folder it is somewhat slower now. Guess I'll have to up the mHz speed on my panda for this game now.

Interestingly enough, the game runs slower once the hidden folder is in place - it was nice and zippy for me at stock speed before, but after put in the hidden folder it is somewhat slower now. Guess I'll have to up the mHz speed on my panda for this game now.

It shouldnt do that, Ill try and fix this and aspect ratio problem soon. I did update the pnd without the .vvvvvv inside it, so that should be fixed.

Could it be that the current pnd is broken?

I get a "wrong fs type"-error on mounting, on my PC, on my Pandora and even when directly trying on the server.

The md5sum is the same on the server, on my PC and on the Pandora.

ok i have fixed the aspect ratio issue with adding the correct setting to the unlock.vvv file. I went back to including one in the pnd with the needed settings.

If you have already installed/run vvvvvv pnd then you need to check the following 3 settings and set them all to 1

fullscreen, advanced scaling, opengl

Im still investigating the sw render. So far I have had to success with notaz SDL. The game runs the full 30 fps with 320x240x32, so i think it could handle a simple 2x sw scaler.

I can confirm the new PND works fine so far.

Had one issue where in the middle of the game it suddenly said the game is paused - and I had no chance of continuing it and had to hard-kill it.

where do we get the new pnd? :)

Same link as before ;)

Couldn't reproduce that pause-thing though. Played 40 minutes through it just fine.

Major frame loss with that huge blinking elephant, but as there's nothing serious going on, that's not an issue.

This is great, thanks Pickle! :)

Heh, whenever a Hundle Indy Bundle comes along I buy it with hopes of anything in it will be ported to the Pandora sooner or later. ^^

where do we get the new pnd? :)

Same link as before ;)

Couldn't reproduce that pause-thing though. Played 40 minutes through it just fine.

Major frame loss with that huge blinking elephant, but as there's nothing serious going on, that's not an issue.
I still didn't get the meaning of the Elephant. ^^" But I was not even able to reach that area without godmode. I guess it was after this deadly red vertical auto scrolling corridor, whoever coded this is insane! :D

But I try to finish the game on the Pandora without godmode. Somehow it plays a little bit better on the Pandora than on the PC with Keyboard. At least I die not that often. :)

This is great, thanks Pickle! :)

Heh, whenever a Hundle Indy Bundle comes along I buy it with hopes of anything in it will be ported to the Pandora sooner or later. ^^
Yay, there are alot of good games in. The Bundle with VVVVVV also included "COGS" an excellent 3D Puzzle Game. Would fit perfectly for the Pandora, our Handheld should be powerful enough to handle the graphics.

http://www.cogsgame.com/

COGS already has mobile device ports, so the drawing code should already be there if we can convince them to let us port.

ok i have fixed the aspect ratio issue with adding the correct setting to the unlock.vvv file. I went back to including one in the pnd with the needed settings.

If you have already installed/run vvvvvv pnd then you need to check the following 3 settings and set them all to 1

Im still investigating the sw render. So far I have had to success with notaz SDL. The game runs the full 30 fps with 320x240x32, so i think it could handle a simple 2x sw scaler.
Bad news is, the new version still crashes instantly and hangs up the Pandora when I try anything in the ingame graphic settings.

Good news is that when I set these values you described in the unlock file manualy, I finaly have correct aspect ratio. :)

Bad news is, the new version still crashes instantly and hangs up the Pandora when I try anything in the ingame graphic settings.

Good news is that when I set these values you described in the unlock file manualy, I finaly have correct aspect ratio. :)
One thing to try, Fusion_Power, is removing your current configuration files in your appdata directory (or rename your configuration to something else). Pickle is probably changing the default configuration that the PND creates if it hasn't been run before. I doubt his new PND will delete existing configurations and reset them (which it shouldn't; that it allows users to preserve their configuration between runs of the game).

I tried it with and without the old files, the behaviour is the same. Pickles new default unlock config file has to be set manualy to the correct values, otherwise you still have a wrong aspect ratio. The corect settings are not in the default file yet.

During gameplay, I also noticed some slowdowns, mainly in areas with moving background patterns like these zickzack shapes, it goes over the entire bg and is animated. VVVVVV really has some (compared) tough HW requirements it sems.

It would be nice to buy the full version for the Pandora, just so the author can track sales that are Pandora related, and this information would be great for the community regarding future ports. As Prom said, she wouldn't have bought this otherwise, same here. But not everyone will take the time to email the author or post here. With some real data on downloads, maybe these Angry Birds people would have taken our request more seriously.

I tried it with and without the old files, the behaviour is the same. Pickles new default unlock config file has to be set manualy to the correct values, otherwise you still have a wrong aspect ratio. The corect settings are not in the default file yet.
Ah, okay, just making sure.

During gameplay, I also noticed some slowdowns, mainly in areas with moving background patterns like these zickzack shapes, it goes over the entire bg and is animated. VVVVVV really has some (compared) tough HW requirements it sems.
I've noticed the same slowdown with the highly animated backgrounds. Clocking up a bit actually makes that a lot better.

It would be nice to buy the full version for the Pandora, just so the author can track sales that are Pandora related, and this information would be great for the community regarding future ports.
Solved that little problem like so.

Back