Release VVVVVV for Pandora

@pickle, cool, im not rushing you dont worry ;) i was just itching to update the wikipedia page for vvvvvv to say its not also available on pandora (currently i have it saying there will be a port with a reference linke to this thread but as soon as its in the repo ill change it so it says its available with a link to the repo :p

I would like to mention a bug a ran across last night.

I was playing the tower section, and part way through it I saved the game and stopped playing. Later, when I continued to play, I restarted the game from the save point (part way through the tower), and I was not able to continue from there - instead it just showed the tower section, scrolling from where I saved it up to the top and then just stayed there. I was not able to exit the game in any way whatsoever, even the Pandora button wouldn't kill it, I had to remove the battery and restart my Pandora.

So I could not restart from the tower after saving there, and had to restart from the last teleporter (which allowed me to play the tower again and grab the two coins on the way, so it was not all bad). Just thought I'd mention it here.

Impossible, you should always be able to do a hard reset. "Hard" implies hardware, which VVVVVV should not screw up.

By the way, a hard reset is Pandora Button+Power Switch.

I would like to mention a bug a ran across last night.

I was playing the tower section, and part way through it I saved the game and stopped playing. Later, when I continued to play, I restarted the game from the save point (part way through the tower), and I was not able to continue from there - instead it just showed the tower section, scrolling from where I saved it up to the top and then just stayed there. I was not able to exit the game in any way whatsoever, even the Pandora button wouldn't kill it, I had to remove the battery and restart my Pandora.

So I could not restart from the tower after saving there, and had to restart from the last teleporter (which allowed me to play the tower again and grab the two coins on the way, so it was not all bad). Just thought I'd mention it here.

did it lock up the pandora completely? This could be expected as the gles driver/gpu if they fail can result in such behavior. Ive finished the game and havnt had one lock up yet (during gameplay that is). If it did lock up could be the safe file was corrupt.

If you still have the save can you put it somewhere, so either I or the original author could look at (you could just zip up the files in .vvvvvv)

I'll have to take another look at it (on the weekend hopefully). I didn't know of the hard reset at the time, but just holding the Pandora button down didn't bring up the app kill screen.

I don't have that save anymore, since I restarted from the teleporter and redid the tower level. But I'll have another go at re-creating the save and see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen that bug before, happened when I loaded the game at the tower level. I can't remember if I solved it by holding the pandora button or if I needed a full switch+pandora reset, but the game itself was definitely broken.

Oops, I forgot to mention: I managed to make VVVVVV lock up the other day.

I was looking to see what display options there were, entered the relevant menu and went into the full-screen options, then accidentally hit a bit (I think it was the action button), and it locked up completely. The music kept on going, but the Pandora needed a hard-reset to break out of it, because I couldn't get a response from the Pandora button alone.

Oops, I forgot to mention: I managed to make VVVVVV lock up the other day.

I was looking to see what display options there were, entered the relevant menu and went into the full-screen options, then accidentally hit a bit (I think it was the action button), and it locked up completely. The music kept on going, but the Pandora needed a hard-reset to break out of it, because I couldn't get a response from the Pandora button alone.

Yes an graphical changes are going to lock it up for the moment as SDL and EGL can be very sensitive. There really is only one mode needed i.e 320x240 scaled by opengl to 640x480 there isnt a need to change anything. I know some have said disable the settings but im not sure yet i want to do that change yet.

Hello, it's normal that the VVVVVV screen is not centered with the display of the Pandora screen ?

Thank you in advance

Hello, it's normal that the VVVVVV screen is not centered with the display of the Pandora screen ?

Thank you in advance

It was with previous versions of the pnd, you need to check the following 3 settings and set them all to 1

fullscreen, advanced scaling, opengl

Sorry, but where is this parameter ? Ingame if change a setting, vvvvvv crashes :s

in the appdata folder where will be a hidden folder called. .vvvvvv, inside it is a file called unlock.vv. Change the settings i mentioned earlier.

If for some reason your still stuck, delete the appdata/vvvvvv folder, get the latest pnd, run the pnd, copy data back over, and it should run.

Back