Release VVVVVV for Pandora

misterkev

Still Fresh
Hi all,

Hope I'm posting this in the right place - it is software related news, so I think it fits here. I'm a huge fan of Terry Cavanagh's brilliant VVVVVV. I really wanted to see it on the Pandora, but as it's not open source didn't hold out much hope of seeing it ported. But as the saying goes, if you don't ask you don't get, so on the off chance I sent a message to the author asking if he'd be interested in porting it himself.

Anyway, I was delighted when he replied yesterday. He said that he is very interested, Once the latest patch is on Steam he says he intends to start work on a Pandora port, and has already been talking to a developer who's up for doing it!

I've noticed one or two people ask about the game in other threads, so thought I would share this news with the forums. Hope others are as happy to know about this as I am.

----- update: release info -----

pickle.gp2x.de/vvvvvv.pnd (considered beta until it's in the repo)

You need the data files. Buy the PC version here or here. Once installed, find your /data folder and copy it to /pandora/appdata/vvvvv

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the original on Steam (bought via on of the Humble Bundles a little while back). Would love to see this on the Pandora, as well as several other games from previous Humble Bundles. :p

Oh wow. I have already finished the game on my desktop, but would gladly purchase it again for the Pandora.

Awwwwwesome. Words cannot describe how awesome that game would be on the Pandora. I got that game in a HB, too, and it was sooooo awwwwweeeesome.

[regains composure]

We should delegate a community member to talk to other projects like that and see if they're interested in porting some of their closed source games. Yes, yes, woot open source and free software, but I and a lot of people here would also happily pay for a game like VVVVV. The Pandora isn't as big as the Android or iDevice market, but can still bring in some cash and publicity for them.

Anyway, I was delighted when he replied yesterday. He said that he is very interested, Once the latest patch is on Steam he says he intends to start work on a Pandora port, and has already been talking to a developer who's up for doing it!

That would be me, glad to hear that you heard back from him recently. My first inquiry to Terry was promising, but had been a while since I had heard anything back. I had sent some other mails on the status but have not heard anything.

Based on the libraries used it appears it will be a very quick port (for pandora at least). Just need some source code :)

Edit: By the way i have been assuming that the binary could be released without data and would not require us to buy the data a second time.(HB sells pc/mac/linux under the same license) But I would hope and expect that if the game is available for play that those that do not own it might purchase it.

I would quite like to play this on the pandora, but I don't fancy buying the game again. If there's a way of getting the pandora version for free (or by proving you've bought the game before) this will be definite good news.

I have the Original from Humble Bundle, I thought they are all Open Source after a while? Would be great if a port happens somehow, I always can use Original Data files for this. :) Same for the other Bundle Gems like Braid, Cogs, Cortex Command, Crayon Physics, Hammerfight, Revenge of the Titans...

Most of them would be great Games for our Handheld too. ^^ Maybe Contacting the all the Devs and ask them for a Pandora Port? So no public Source is required at all?

I have the Original from Humble Bundle, I thought they are all Open Source after a while? Would be great if a port happens somehow, I always can use Original Data files for this. :) Same for the other Bundle Gems like Braid, Cogs, Cortex Command, Crayon Physics, Hammerfight, Revenge of the Titans...

Most of them would be great Games for our Handheld too. ^^ Maybe Contacting the all the Devs and ask them for a Pandora Port? So no public Source is required at all?

No only Aquaria, Lugaru, Penumbra, Gish, Revenge of the Titans are open source (i think thats all)

I got a hold of the crayon physics author once, asked about the commercial system for pandora, which doesnt exist, havnt heard back.

VVVVV would not be open sourced, but we are fortunate that the author will at least be open to letting someone like myself work on it.

I'd buy it again for a nominal amount to have on the Pandora. Like, $1 upgrade fee or something like that. On the other hand, it is only $5, I've spent more than that on games I'm likely not going to play anytime soon on Steam sales.

But I would hope and expect that if the game is available for play that those that do not own it might purchase it.
That's what I did with Lugaru. :p Once the Pandora port popped up, it was an insta-buy.

Edit: By the way i have been assuming that the binary could be released without data and would not require us to buy the data a second time.(HB sells pc/mac/linux under the same license) But I would hope and expect that if the game is available for play that those that do not own it might purchase it.
This would make a lot of sense. Glad to hear the port is/will be in capable hands :)

Someone is actually working on an authorized C64 clone of it. Until now there's just a small 1 year old demo, though.

Great news. I have the game, but I don't really enjoy playing it on the desktop for some reason - I daydreamed about a handheld version!
Exactly this is also my feeling for many of the Humble Bundle Games I tested so far, except Cortex Command maybe. ^^""

Good thing is that VVVVVV has so minimalistic graphics that at least this should run full speed on the Pandora...at least if it is not coded in Java or Flash or whatever "Handheld unfriendly" stuff. :D

the goods have arrived ;-)

Update: VVVVVV has a software render path so its working on the pandora. Have some things I want to try to make it better. But looking good so far :)

Back