Upgrades, a compo and a special game (2012-11-28)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Wooot - thanks a lot to all you upgraders out there.

You really managed to get me a lot more work - packing Pandoras like hell (but I like that. I'm happy for every customer who finally receives his unit!).

Over 40 upgrades have already shipped, another 60 or so will follow until the end of the week.

Good thing I'm getting 100 more units this week.

I'm pretty sure the boards will get more lively again once these units all arrive at their destinations.

Also, I've got some more good news for you:

It's finally time for another compo, held by my shop, the DragonBox.

I will post more information and rules as soon as I find some time to write them down, but here are some quick informations upfront:

• The compo will end at the end of January. This will give the full christmas holidays time for coding :)
  • There will be various categories with prizes (ports, original games, emulators, etc.). So no port has to compete with an emulator or original game.
  • The system can be ANYTHING open... (Dingoo, Caanoo, Pandora, etc.). However, the sourcecode has to be released at the end - after all, we're promoting OpenHandhelds here. You can still define your own license.
  • Your entry doesn't have to be something new. It can also be an updated version of something already released. You can also release beta versions for public testing.
  • Among the prizes will be vouchers for my shop, a Pandora, etc. I'll let you know. If anyone else also want to contribute something, that's possible as well (of course)

Well, that's just a quick info upfront. More soon, but you can already start coding if you like.

Speaking of coding, you probably remember the thread from a while ago about the RPG Days of Dawn.

Well, they just started their Kickstarter funding today!

What does this have to do with the Pandora, you might ask?

Well check this out:

dod.jpg

This is an actual picture from the developers running on the Pandora.

It currently runs on Android (as there's no Unity 4 out for Linux ARM), but even without optimizing, it ran really really well already and supports the controls and buttons out of the box (now someone tell me the Pandora is powerless ;) )

That would be an awesome commercial game. An optimized Pandora port (maybe even with proper packaging on SD Card?) will most probably become a stretchgoal.

It might even be that you can get special Days-of-Dawn-Pandoras (airbrushed) for some pledge... but that's something Tassilo has to reply, I'm not sure what his plans are exactly.

I'd be very happy to see this game released - and playing it on the Pandora would be my favourite.

So much for a quick update.

Good times are ahead, with the Amiga Emulator getting better every day, Slackware being an awesome alternative full OS, more users getting their units and some more games and apps as well as a competition.

Okay, back to work for me (well, first a couple hours of sleep).

Last edited:
ED,

The Open Pandora is powerless. I can only hope the touchscreen makes some kind of revolution to prove all you controller-obsessed fanboys wrong...

:D

Good to hear all is well with the DragonBox!

The compo is a good idea. I had too much work/life stuff going on to continue working much on Microbes, so a compo could be a good extra motivation to improve it some more and finally release a final version :)

As for Days of Dawn: I don't really feel the need to have commercial games on my Pandora, but I can see why some people would want that, and I do think it is nicer to get an interesting indie game than yet another big-studio title.

Wow so many ideas:

- A working easyrpg PND

- a Pandora Game Compiler with GUI based on the dev-tools PND.

WHO You choose your Source Directory and it ./configure and make it alone:)

- DVB-T viewer Software Luke Me-Tv(i Know there is a Port from Me-Tv)

- Newer and better versions it Videoplayers(to Support more Codecs)

- A Software who you can not Download and view only ever youtube,

because many like myvideo,myspass,clipfish,dailymovie,msn videos too.

Maybe a Firefox plugin who uses mplayer newest version for pandora.

-a optimized desmume

And many others.

There are many Games by happypenguin.org or sourceforge.

Cool ;-)

This is great to hear. It doesn't really matter to me whether mine ships this week or next, but knowing that things are moving smoothly is great news. It sounds like a substantial portion of the preorder queue is getting cleared with this.

Also, nice to know about the competition.

It currently runs on Android (as there's no Unity 4 out for Linux ARM), but even without optimizing, it ran really really well already and supports the controls and buttons out of the box (now someone tell me the Pandora is powerless ;) )
Is that on the 600MHz or the new 1000MHz unit?

I asked about the system requirements:

Hello, Matthew.

It should run smooth on such a system:

2GB RAM

Windows XP or later; Mac OS X 10.5 or later.

A 3D graphics card with about 256 VRAM

DualCore Processor with about 2GHz

Best regards,

Tassilo

So admittedly I'm a bit confused as to how it would run successfully on the Pandora?

Is that on the 600MHz or the new 1000MHz unit?

They tried it on both, but Tassilo should be able to answer that.

Good news. Does this mean Craig is getting more units to clear his queue as well?

Good news. Does this mean Craig is getting more units to clear his queue as well?

He gets units when he can afford them or based on new sales and donations.

I'm just handling the current upgrades (the one he sent the eMail out a few days ago).

So the game uses Unity? Many ones seems to use this, would be great if it could run straight onto the Pandora, without Android. :) There are some very promising games that are based on the Unity Engine. ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
A new compo? Daaaaaamn, I'm already working on a crazy new game, but its not appropriate for compo; free time is hard to come by, but maybe I need to do something small fopr the compo.. been a few years since I joined one. Hmmmm :)

jeff

Back