Upgrades, a compo and a special game (2012-11-28)

Does this also mean 100 or so preorders will also be going out soon given that each upgrade pays for a preorder?

Wow, how ironic would it be if my original preorder would have been shipped in this batch, but since I upgraded to a 1Ghz I missed it.. :)

Stay positive... Stay positive...

Does this also mean 100 or so preorders will also be going out soon given that each upgrade pays for a preorder?

The cross-upgrades are at cost price, so they don't pay for anything (they just reduce the queue at no loss for Craig/ED). It's new 1Gig full orders that pay for old Pre-order.

Paid the extra cash to upgrade my unit for a 1Ghz unit.

Hope I get it fast. Tired of waiting after 3 years.

The end of waiting is near

So the game uses Unity? Many ones seems to use this, would be great if it could run straight onto the Pandora, without Angström. :) There are some very promising games that are based on the Unity Engine. ^^
Running straight without Angström, so... without operating system? Dafuq are you talking about? o_O

to the topic: I think I will participate with some kind of... surprise, too ;)

So the game uses Unity? Many ones seems to use this, would be great if it could run straight onto the Pandora, without Angström. :) There are some very promising games that are based on the Unity Engine. ^^
Running straight without Angström, so... without operating system? Dafuq are you talking about? o_O

to the topic: I think I will participate with some kind of... surprise, too ;)
ANDROID! I meant without ANDROID and straight onto the Pandora OS, meaning Angström. Sorry! :ph34r:

Hey, a compo :) . I might try and port my Space Rocks game to pandora just to participate, if I somehow get it to compile using the available tools :p . If.

The cross-upgrades are at cost price, so they don't pay for anything (they just reduce the queue at no loss for Craig/ED). It's new 1Gig full orders that pay for old Pre-order.

This doesnt make sense to me by the numbers... the original pre-orders were sold for $350. It turns out this was below cost and so it was possible to upgrade to the "premium" queue by paying an additional $150 (total of $500) to bring it back up to cost levels as described here: http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/4003-why-the-pandora-is-the-way-it-is/page__hl__%2Bpremium+%2Bupgrade

Now there are 1GHz units which I assume cost the same ($500 or close to it) to produce as the 600MHz models. The only significant cost difference would be in the price of the OPAP chips. These units are being sold new at a price of ~$700.

Since the price of these new 1Ghz Pandoras are supposed to cover the cost of the 1GHz unit itself and also make up for below cost aspect of the original pre-orders they would need to be priced at least twice the difference between the original pre-order price and the cost to produce ($350 + 2*$150=$650) which aligns very well with the current pricing of ~$700.

That said:

Original pre-order $350 + upgrade to 1GHz $350 = $700... the same price as a brand new 1GHz Pandora. I still don't understand why these upgrades would not also cover an original pre-order.

Last edited by a moderator:
That said:

Original pre-order $350 + upgrade to 1GHz $350 = $700... the same price as a brand new 1GHz Pandora. I still don't understand why these upgrades would not also cover an original pre-order.
My understanding is the money is gone already by production failure,so upgrade is just clear the old queue.

Probably help a bit but not like brand new one.

BTW

ED do you have any schedule to ship more unit to Craig in this week?

After some thinking, I think I have an idea for a game that's simple enough that I can probably complete it for this competition, but seems on paper at least like it could be a very fun game. Yay!

After some thinking, I think I have an idea for a game that's simple enough that I can probably complete it for this competition, but seems on paper at least like it could be a very fun game. Yay!

Simple games are often times quite fun. Obviously it depends on the specifics. Tetris is probably one of the least complicated games ever, and we all know how that turned out. Same goes for Mario, it's quite simple as well.

I agree, there are a whole load of simple yet great playability games I could list.

I would like to see a clone of Berzerk or Combat, as played on the 2600, both pretty simple [i imagine, I don't develop games so could be wrong]

Look forward to seeing these entries on YT demoed, and one day, playing them :)

Back