Updates in all areas, spiced with case renders

Can't we adjust the brightness of the keyboard LEDs? Yeah, i want the transparent one.

Maybe if mutliple colors are produced, the buyer could choose the color of every part of the Pyra which is one single piece when taken apart.

Transparent case anyone? :D

attachicon.gif
Transparent.jpg
Only if it's transparent Aluminium please. ;)
Your wish has been granted.

I could see an International Orange (Aerospace) case for myself, but it won't happen anytime soon.

For the shades of red, I could see Carmine or maybe Maroon.

These are taken from the Shades of Red Wikipedia article.

Otherwise, I could have one in either black, white or silver, but they'd be a bit bland.

I like the idea of a dark glossy blue, but the Pyra logo is red and glossy finishes aren't greasy fingers compliant.

If not available in red, I'm totally taking a beige box. That would be totally fitting : the retro-looking, awkward and surprisingly powerful pocket computer.

If there's a beige box, I'd like to see a darker beige (like the IBM 5151 monitor) or, even better, matte black bezel.

And I'd add a cheesy sticker on the other side. Maybe an Amiga checkmark, or racing stripes a la OutRun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to see a colour that the Pandora has been available in, I'd rather they be clearly differentiated.

I'd like yellow, but I know that's never going to fly.  So either cobalt blue or gunmetal grey methinks.

What I'm wondering is what the practicality would be to have more than one case colour. Would it make any difference to the price if an order of (for example) 6000 cases was broken down into say, 2000 dark blue, 2000 dark red and 2000 black, as opposed to having them all be the same colour?

- Neelix

What I'm wondering is what the practicality would be to have more than one case colour. Would it make any difference to the price if an order of (for example) 6000 cases was broken down into say, 2000 dark blue, 2000 dark red and 2000 black, as opposed to having them all be the same colour?

- Neelix
Probably not till you only sell 100 Yellow or whatever Colour doesn't happen to be popular...

Yes, I'm with fusion power, give the community a choice of colours which they can vote from. That should be fairly painless.

I'm pretty hung up on red but the transparent case does look sweet too.

The best would be to offer more colours from the beginning, maybe 3 or so. Black/white and one real colour that can be choosen. ^^"

I'm personaly still for EDs former Pandora colour Idea: Antharzit, which can look awesome! :D

There is also the point about the surface texture, I guess most people prefer flat like I do, glossy is bad. But it could also be a little bit more "rough" than the one from the Pandora. Done right this could improve the feeling and grip.

I know that stuff but it's actualy not comparable with real transparent plastic/glass unlike the Star Trek version. ;)

imac-new-colors.jpg
Transparent Retro Style ;-)

Maybe you can left the space for the WiFi Chip empty, some Users will survive without it and others (like me) solder them in later by them self.

I say ED should make one-color black case for the first release.  He then adds more color choices at a later time if PYRA sells well enough.  Or may be wait a year later after release of OMAP5 PYRA and offer more color choices together with a new SoC board, say OMAP6 ;)

TI's poor supply for the wifi chip and samples makes me nervous about how well they'll support OMAP5 throughout the duration of Pyra's life, even if they promised it'd be good :/

-1 for kickstarter why give them money?

I'd rather all the cash for my Pyra went where its supposed to... More chance of further development and a successful project without someone else taking a cut....
 I feel the same way, and I'll add that I think that this community is a) big enough to fund the first bath w/o KS and B) more close knit, understanding, and open to direct communication vs some KS people who will freak out the minute things don't go like planned. I also think KS pushes too much pressure on unnecessary distractions like special reward tiers and stretch goals (although those are technically optional, people would probably freak out if they weren't there too)

^This, but I think the colour should be 90s beige. If not that, black is the most neutral colour though.

Probably not till you only sell 100 Yellow or whatever Colour doesn't happen to be popular...
In that case the answer to that is simple, if the market for a colour is unknown, keep quantities of that colour small until you can see what sells well.

Some time ago there was a colour poll, which I seem to recall indicated fairly strong preferences for black, dark blue, or dark red amongst those who responded, and every time the subject has come up, those have been the most prominent suggestions, which is why I suggested large quantities of each of those.

That's not to say it wouldn't be worthwhile to get small numbers of other colours to see what sells well.

I'd even go so far as to suggest it would probably be a good idea to do a very limited number of pink cases, to see if there is a market for them. (you might be surprised)

But that could be a moot point if it isn't practical or cost effective to get different colours in a batch to begin with. (hence my original question)

- Neelix

That transparent case looks really neat, but I would only really buy it if it had programmable RGB lighting. That said, if I had to pick a colour for the Pyra, I'd say either dark grey or black. Oh, and just a suggestion, but a really nice addition would be a glowing Pyra logo on the back, MacBook-style.

Back