Updates in all areas, spiced with case renders

Very Dark blue is what i would like, with a slight mettalic blue touch.

And a silver color for the Pyra logo.

Last edited by a moderator:
... Just like the .... Zero Cool's laptop in 'Hackers' movie.
I would spring for a transparent case, and I am embarrassed to say that I enjoy 'Hackers' significantly more than I should. If I remember correctly, the transparent laptop was not actually Zero Cool's but a gift from The Plague. Dade, didn't use the laptop and it wasn't featured for more than a few moments. Just long enough for me to want one.    

Transparent case anyone? :D

attachicon.gif
Transparent.jpg
Cool !! But maybe should be better to see the effect in a dark room, I suppose that all the leds will make it shine too much

deep dark red with flecks of 24 carrot gold..... does my taste know any bounds (like do I have any?)

seriously though, especially initially there really is only going to be one colour, how can half a dozen different case runs (some runs might never get wholly used) be afforded ?

Better we stick with black in all seriousness - if the case design is open source (and lets not start the pedantry about what open source isn't) then anyone can always print out their own custom case colour...

Can we start poll about the color and then open another for the hue/brightness?

Can we start poll about the color and then open another for the hue/brightness?

I suggest we start with a poll on the choice of colorspace in which the other polls are to operate. My vote goes for HSL.

Thanks for the update. Sound good except for the lead time issue.

Concerning the case color. I think that is always difficult without seeing it. Even with black... I imagine there can be quite a few difference in the exact color and finish (mate / brilliant...).

Personally I would go for a (mate) black. I think it's the less risky solution. I am wonderning what a deep blue case would look like though.

Transparant seems cool at first, but after the novelty factor I am not sure it's a great choise. And the backlight won't work the same effect.

Now, what changed for the case since the last time I posted?

The edges where your palms hold the device have been rounded.

This should make playing a lot more comfortable.

The lid edges will have the corners changed to be slightly rounded in order to fit there.

You can easily see that in the picture here.
The biggest discomfort that I had with the Pandora was that the buttons were too close to the edge, so my thumb was always bent to press the buttons.  After a while it started to hurt.  I'm wondering if this is still a problem since the top row of the keyboard was moved down.

Nice thanks for the update ED! I realized how much work Nikolaus has to do in this project, he should be honored, too!

attachicon.gif
Transparent.jpg
OH MY GOD YES if its possible with the material.

I would love to see the boards, even though the most will be blocked by the battery. Also it might fail with the backlid buttons

Otherwise uh Im into beige, black, alu. (not yet possible I know) and other dark colors.

During that timeframe, we can also choose the colors (together with the community, of course).

I will probably publish a Blender file so everyone can work on color designs as well!
As long as it doesn't end in an endless discussion like the keyboard layout... ;) I recommend that you offer some colours you want to have and the community chooses from these.Can we also have the (more useful) .sat file of the case to play around with it? I would like to test some stuff that is in my mind now that I see the new case... ^^"

I've rendered a few pictures for you.

Don't worry - weird stairs-like artifacts you can see on the case are due to importing a CAD file into Blender - the Mesh had a too low resolution.
You just have to set the objects to "smooth" shading instead of flat, Blender has an option for this so the surface will always be displayed smooth, in the edit as also in the rendering image.
25-manual-meshsmooth-shading.png

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:DE/2.6/Manual/Modeling/Meshes/Smoothing

You even can interpolate a more smooth surface by adding the subdivision surface modifier which adds more "virtual" polygons to the geometry of an object. But beware, this can also change the entire geometry if not done properly. http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Modifiers/Generate/Subsurf

The edges where your palms hold the device have been rounded.

This should make playing a lot more comfortable.
Perfect, looks already even more palm-friendly than the old Pandora case. :)
The lid edges will have the corners changed to be slightly rounded in order to fit there.

You can easily see that in the picture here.

attachicon.gif
ClosedLid.png
Nothing to complain there, the Lid has to follow the lines of course. But I spot another possible "sharp edge" in that pic, On this picture, the area on the front seems to still has the "negative rounded" edges that annoyed me onto the Pandora so much. You don't touch these usualy but it looks and feels cheap. Try a "positive rounded" edge for the depressed area please. ^^"

The shoulder buttons have been slightly tweaked so that the upper button has no dead spots (where you can't press them).
Yupp, the pivot point has to be behind the touchable area to prevent this, otherwise you can press against that spot and the button doesn't work. ;) I tried to pay attention in my sketch to this issue but it should be no problem when designed well enough to have the internal pivot behind the outer touchable area.I'm still not convinced about the simple plastic hinge part of the case for the triggers. Looks complicated to mold within an already complex case design. There are more easy ways to do that which could help to make the mold simpler.

attachicon.gif
Transparent.jpg
Only if it's transparent Aluminium please. ;)

Back