Release UAE4All 2.0

If it is separate to the main program, he can hold it back, yes :(

Edit: Of course this would be considered bad style, but all changes he made to the gpl sources he needs to give away.

[...]

Well, I mean, if he just did a frontend and doesn't modify the code of the emulator itself, he doesn't have to make that opensource. Also if creates a makefile for android, he doesn't have to provide it as it is not part of the gpl software, but his own creation.
Okay, thought so. I have a feeling it being bad style won't bother the dude much. ;)

So I think it's not worth asking for the code as he probably changed nothing to the uae4all-code (except replacing input-stuff).

But even inputstuff for android would be great to have in mainline :)

^ True.

John, if you can build an Android version, I'm sure we can make sure your version gets all the sales/downloads.
That sounds great - thanks for the support! :)

Not much time currently on my hands but maybe I'll give it a try (now that I finally own an Android device ;) ).

So request his sources and go for it :) You deserve the money more for fixing all this stuff :)

Thanks for the encouragement - I think I might have a go. Learning something about Android can't hurt (even if my uae4all port-attempt should fail).

Yeah, go for it and request his source code and see what happens. It at least might make him think a bit harder about cashing in on the work of others!

Can this be made to work with .DMS files?

Or can anyone recommend some software for PC that can convert the .DMS files to .ADF?

That sounds great - thanks for the support! :)

Not much time currently on my hands but maybe I'll give it a try (now that I finally own an Android device ;) ).

I contacted the guy. He said he can provide the source code to his users, following the gpl. if you are willing to pay for it, you can get the source code.

No, no and no, this violates the GPL! You have to give out the sourcecode for the gpl software freely.

No, no and no, this violates the GPL! You have to give out the sourcecode for the gpl software freely.

Actually I checked the GPL license, and the license clearly says:

Does the GPL require that source code of modified versions be posted to the public? (#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic)
The GPL does not require you to release your modified version, or any part of it. You are free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever releasing them. This applies to organizations (including companies), too; an organization can make a modified version and use it internally without ever releasing it outside the organization.

But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's users, under the GPL.

Thus, the GPL gives permission to release the modified program in certain ways, and not in other ways; but the decision of whether to release it is up to you.

To the program's users.

Any good reason to challenge this?

Last edited by a moderator:
But the person, who obtains it can release it for free again, so this is quite mood and if he requires you to buy his stuff to get the source I think he is more of a douchebag than anything else.

Well, I mean, if he just did a frontend and doesn't modify the code of the emulator itself, he doesn't have to make that opensource. Also if creates a makefile for android, he doesn't have to provide it as it is not part of the gpl software, but his own creation.
That heavily depends on how the frontend interacts with the main program. Making a proprietary frontend link against a GPL'd core is forbidden by the GPL and I can't think of another way of doing it in this case.

But the person, who obtains it can release it for free again, so this is quite mood and if he requires you to buy his stuff to get the source I think he is more of a douchebag than anything else.
It takes a customer who's got the ability and motivation to do it, and that chance isn't actually that high, so many just make a quick buck out of it. Until that happens they earned enough money to consider it profitable. Ethically somewhat evil, but absolutely a valid way to earn a few bucks.

A customer, that requests the sourcecode can release the code without building it or distributing executables, so someone would need to buy it and then put the changes upstream.

Thanks for the legal infos guys!

@itami: The space where the black bars are on the Pandora version are not used by the app - so I can't just move the drive status there.

Back