Uae2x 0.1alpha Wip

This has made me decide to buy a GP2X - great work! Thoughts with you and your family, hope it all goes well.

chiark posted on Oct 18 2006 at 11:46 PM said:
This has made me decide to buy a GP2X - great work! Thoughts with you and your family, hope it all goes well.

..and many on the Amiga boards are also interested in seeing how the emulator turns out - this really is very cool! Thankyou GnoStiC!!

Best wishes to your wife, I hope all goes well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,

Eagerly downloaded this as I am a big amiga fan. Having problems getting it to start though. I'm using the 1.3 rom image from my "Amiga Forever" pack by cloanto, but it doesn't appear to be working. I tried starting it with no disk in and I don't get the insert disk prompt. Also tried various other rom images from the same package - 1.1, 1.2 etc.

Guess it doesn't like the rom images?

Does it have to be an image off something like the "relokick" disk? Think I have one of those somewhere....

Fizzy posted on Oct 27 2006 at 08:57 PM said:
Hi guys at

Eagerly downloaded this as I am a big amiga fan. Having problems getting it to start though. I'm using the 1.3 rom image from my "Amiga Forever" pack by cloanto, but it doesn't appear to be working.
That's because the Cloanto kickstarts are encrypted. You need to either download an unencryted kickstart off the web (google is your friend - you want kick13), or you could probably follow some convoluted kickstart dump process from within winuae.

critical posted on Oct 27 2006 at 10:05 PM said:
Fizzy posted on Oct 27 2006 at 08:57 PM said:
Hi guys at

Eagerly downloaded this as I am a big amiga fan. Having problems getting it to start though. I'm using the 1.3 rom image from my "Amiga Forever" pack by cloanto, but it doesn't appear to be working.
That's because the Cloanto kickstarts are encrypted. You need to either download an unencryted kickstart off the web (google is your friend - you want kick13), or you could probably follow some convoluted kickstart dump process from within winuae.

Thanks for the info - all working ok now. :D

Pretty impressive stuff! Been playing turrican and its nigh on full speed as is. Been using headphones and I believe the sound is a mono mix? Dunno if its just my rubish headphones or something like that - anybody else notice this?

i had time to work on uae2x again today but it's not ready for a wip2 release yet :/

i resolved the random crashing bug i had, which was keeping me from moving forward.. it's now *very* compatible and should be able to run any games and programs..
BUT
still lotsa optimizations left since i've lost some (10-20) fps with new 680x0 cores and aga support and being compatible and hardfile support and etc etc..

adding smp support is now main goal (although it is really hard for amiga emulation)

quote from toni wilen (author of winuae):
Base emulator is single threaded but filesystem, uaescsi.device etc.. "expansion" devices use separate threads.
Making separate threads for CPU or custom chips is very difficult due to complexity of Amiga hardware (everything is interconnected) I think only last phase of display processing can be moved to separate thread but it increases complexity unnecessary and does not help much.

but if going smp can gain a few more fps, a few fps it is.

btw, source is here: uae2x source
(please note when you compile and run the emulator, it assumes you're running it from console, prints lots of debug information and does not bring up the menu. this is because i test the uae2x from console and i don't want to bother with the menu. and.. menu does not cover all the available options yet.. uae2x asssumes you have kick.rom and df0.adz in the current directory)

capture from settlers with new uae2x:
settlers.png

there is no ETA for wip2, i just wanted to let you know that i'm still working on it :)

EDIT:
thanks to Gaterooze for the donation.

GnoStiC posted on Oct 28 2006 at 10:50 PM said:
i had time to work on uae2x again today but it's not ready for a wip2 release yet :/

BUT
still lotsa optimizations left since i've lost some (10-20) fps with new 680x0 cores and aga support and being compatible and hardfile support and etc etc..

Do you think maybe you could have two versions, one that supports AGA and is slow, and one that is plain original Amiga (which most games and demos are anyway) and is near fullspeed? This way the optimisations could make the original Amiga fullspeed with sound and no overclocking needed. Otherwise you will slow down 95% of the software just to be able to run an extra 5%. That doesn't sound like a good tradeoff, probably not worth it. You could have a menu or two different .gpe files, one fast and one AGA etc. MAME has a similar setup.

DaveC posted on Oct 31 2006 at 05:17 AM said:

BUT

Do you think maybe you could have two versions, one that supports AGA and is slow, and one that is plain original Amiga (which most games and demos are anyway) and is near fullspeed? This way the optimisations could make the original Amiga fullspeed with sound and no overclocking needed. Otherwise you will slow down 95% of the software just to be able to run an extra 5%. That doesn't sound like a good tradeoff, probably not worth it. You could have a menu or two different .gpe files, one fast and one AGA etc. MAME has a similar setup.

Yes it would be nice to have a nice feeling A500 before any AGA stuff comes on board.

Like DaveC says about the 5% most AGA games come in A500 flavours with some exceptions.
Just my 1 cents ;)

Keep up the good work when you can can! :D :D

loving AGA for the below but i aint holding my breath, i realise the difficulty in emulating it.

chaos engine 2
pinball illusions
slam tilt ( i think )
alien breed 3d + 3d-2 iirc

Stainy posted on Oct 31 2006 at 10:36 AM said:
DaveC posted on Oct 31 2006 at 05:17 AM said:

BUT

Yes it would be nice to have a nice feeling A500 before any AGA stuff comes on board.

Like DaveC says about the 5% most AGA games come in A500 flavours with some exceptions.
Just my 1 cents ;)

Keep up the good work when you can can! :D :D

I could't agree more. I rather have full speed working A500 than AGA. Who wants AGA if it means a slow down? Amiga 500 is the best amiga anyway :lol:

The current emulator version is plenty playable. I just wish it had key configuration. Maybe you could keep it as a "speed version" with just some added functionality? :)

Out of interest, how much is a decent donation? nothing motivates like cold hard cash but ive no idea about how much is astonishing and how much is insulting :blink:

Out of interest, how much is a decent donation? nothing motivates like cold hard cash but ive no idea about how much is astonishing and how much is insulting :blink:

its whatever you can afford, what is extremely generous for one person might be loose change for another...
Remember though: If you do donate, putting a massive banner in your signature vulgarly showing off to the community about how generous you are/aren't is entirely optional ;)

Stupid question: How is this different from uae4all for the gp2x?
uae2x is based on latest e-uae 0.8.29w3..
i may be wrong but uae4all seems to be based on uae 0.8.22..

uae4all includes fame core, uae2x does not..
uae4all includes several patches/optimizations (they have a year headstart :rolleyes:), uae2x is not yet fully optimized..

uae2x supports savestates, hardfiles etc and seems to be more compatible..

it's best to have both on your SD..

removed >68000 cores
removed AGA
added savestates (i had no idea they would be so useful)
added hardfile support (don't know if it works yet)
transparent virtual keyboard (looking for a volunteer to draw me a keyboard, i just draw one with paint, it looks bad)

i remember adding some more features, although i can't remember now :}

still optimizing..

Back