Uae2x 0.1alpha Wip

GnoStiC

Website
gnostic.lryiu.com
i'm working on this emulator about 2-3 weeks now.. actually, i tried to understand what uae does for the first 2 weeks.. you simply get lost in that code :)

i was avoiding a wip release but i guess more testers and feedback wouldn't hurt..
there are many known issues but feel free to mail me for any bugs/suggestions etc..

notes:
1) place your rom files inside roms folder and your adf/adz/dms under disks folder..
(no free file browser yet..)
if you don't select any rom, roms/kick.rom is used by default..

2) my implementation of cpu tweaker crashes uae2x, so i placed a uae-tweak.gpe shell script which sets cpu/ram/lcd settings based on Evil Dragon's settings.. you may use it or modify it to meet your own settings..

3) many thanks to techfreak (mfk) of www.gp2xtr.com for taking his time and testing nightly builds..

download here:
uae2x 0.1alpha WIP

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

:DDDDDDDDDDDDD

Thanks for this, love the UI.

But I am unable to get the emulation to work, I am using the 512kb overdumped kickrom that I use with both UAE4ALL and PSPUAE and it seems to get stuck at a white screen after going through the grey screens.

edit: just tried the 256kb kickstart 1.3 and it just sticks on a black screen.

I am using firmware 2.0.

let's try this
1) don't insert anything into df0
2) under prefs, set cpu speed to 1 (default is 3)
3) if you have more than more one roms, select it from rom menu
or name your rom as kick.rom (all letters lowercase) and place it inside roms folder
4) select run

do you see default amiga's insert disk screen?

Iorgy77 posted on Oct 11 2006 at 06:21 AM said:
Thanks for this, love the UI.

But I am unable to get the emulation to work, I am using the 512kb overdumped kickrom that I use with both UAE4ALL and PSPUAE and it seems to get stuck at a white screen after going through the grey screens.

edit: just tried the 256kb kickstart 1.3 and it just sticks on a black screen.

I am using firmware 2.0.

:D

Estopero posted on Oct 11 2006 at 04:33 AM said:
thanks ....

:DDDDDDDDDDDDD

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic :) Ah... the sweet feeling of freedom!

Could you put the source up somewhere, please?

EDIT: Turrican played very smoothly at 200MHz, great job. Silkworm less so, but that's no surprise.

I've encountered a few issues that you probably already know about:

After having run a game, then returning to the menu to select a different one, hitting Reset doesn't make the newly-selected disk run (it just goes to the insert Workbench disk screen).

Selecting Reset, then Run did the job, but Reset on its own will never do more than drop me back to the insert Workbench disk screen. It would be cool if it didn't seem to lose the contents of DF0 when reset is selected.

I can't seem to navigate up tree in the disk selector

Exit sometimes crashes my GP2X.

I like the GUI... the option to save settings (sound state particularly) would be great. I know this is a very early release - it's wonderful that it's this good already.

Fantastic :) Ah... the sweet feeling of freedom!

Could you put the source up somewhere, please?
well, my uae2x source folder is a mess and is about 93mb now.. (containing many other uae source pieces)
i'll be remove unnecessary files by the weekend with a better readme, bugfixes and rls with the source..

EDIT: Turrican played very smoothly at 200MHz, great job. Silkworm less so, but that's no surprise.

I've encountered a few issues that you probably already know about:

After having run a game, then returning to the menu to select a different one, hitting Reset doesn't make the newly-selected disk run (it just goes to the insert Workbench disk screen).

Selecting Reset, then Run did the job, but Reset on its own will never do more than drop me back to the insert Workbench disk screen. It would be cool if it didn't seem to lose the contents of DF0 when reset is selected.
actually what uea2x's reset does is eject df0, df1, and reset emulation.. then you have to select the disk again.. i guess, i must add a eject df0/df1 selection on menu and leave reset as a real amiga reset..

I can't seem to navigate up tree in the disk selector
no proper file navigation yet..

Exit sometimes crashes my GP2X.
hmm.. that never happened to me.. but i'll check..

I like the GUI... the option to save settings (sound state particularly) would be great. I know this is a very early release - it's wonderful that it's this good already.
"storage" icon is for savestates.. first i wanted to be uss compatible but as it does not save autoconfig, expansion boards etc, i thought creating a new savestate thingie would be better.. i'll work on it when i can.. :)

Excellent, just had a quick play on Stunt Car Racer and it was ace.

Yet another project I will definitely be donating to in the future.

Thanks GnoStiC!

WOW, great start!

It plays Head Over Heels, Anarchy, Deflektor and F1 (aka Vroom) fullspeed with sound (I tested at 275mhz). Spindizzy Worlds has flickering sprites, but is quite fast. Batman the Movie wouldn't load. That's all I've tried.

Bugs:

Sometimes on the menu screen, the arrow does not line up with the selections, and the selection square remains stuck on Disk. By hitting start and then select again, it fixes this.

The cursor on the virtual keyboard does not always seem to line up with keys.

A nice feature would be some kind of disk loading indicator, so you know it hasn't frozen up. The battery LED did come on while trying to load Batman the Movie, when it hung on a black screen. It went off after a while.

Thanks so much, GnoStiC, and also critical for getting the ball rolling :)

Let me see if I understand this correctly...

You have been working on this emulator for just 3 weeks, and you are already getting this kind of results? Dude, are you a coding God or something??? :eek:

Thank you very much for working on this emulator, since the Amiga is my favourite system.

I will be installing the emulator as soon as I get home, and report any bugs back to you.

Thank you very much!

GnoStiC posted on Oct 11 2006 at 06:25 AM said:
let's try this
1) don't insert anything into df0
2) under prefs, set cpu speed to 1 (default is 3)
3) if you have more than more one roms, select it from rom menu
or name your rom as kick.rom (all letters lowercase) and place it inside roms folder
4) select run

do you see default amiga's insert disk screen?

Thank you very much setting the CPU to the first notch did the trick, I cannot wait to see what you do with this. At the moment it is very playable. :)

What is your paypal address? Is it the email listed on the readme?

edit: please change the the menus so that holding in one direction changes settings rather than moving each time. To change the chip ram from 1meg to 512k I have to move the joystick left 500 times at the moment. ;) Or maybe have set values 512k, 1024k, 2048k.

Iorgy77 posted on Oct 11 2006 at 12:29 PM said:
edit: please change the the menus so that holding in one direction changes settings rather than moving each time. To change the chip ram from 1meg to 512k I have to move the joystick left 500 times at the moment. ;) Or maybe have set values 512k, 1024k, 2048k.
Try moving it in the opposite direction <_<

subcon959 posted on Oct 11 2006 at 11:55 AM said:

:lol:

Iorgy77 posted on Oct 11 2006 at 01:11 PM said:
subcon959 posted on Oct 11 2006 at 11:55 AM said:

:lol:
Having said that, it doesn't seem to stick at 512 once you go back into prefs so maybe it's not supported yet.

gaterooze posted on Oct 11 2006 at 02:08 PM said:
Bugs:

Sometimes on the menu screen, the arrow does not line up with the selections, and the selection square remains stuck on Disk. By hitting start and then select again, it fixes this.
that's because menu also uses usb mouse, so that mouse pointer is freely movable :)
i better add limits to it when there is no mouse..

The cursor on the virtual keyboard does not always seem to line up with keys.
i'll fix it in one of the new versions..

A nice feature would be some kind of disk loading indicator, so you know it hasn't frozen up. The battery LED did come on while trying to load Batman the Movie, when it hung on a black screen. It went off after a while.

Thanks so much, GnoStiC, and also critical for getting the ball rolling :)
battery led as a disk indicator.. added to my to do list..

Iorgy77 posted on Oct 11 2006 at 02:29 PM said:
What is your paypal address? Is it the email listed on the readme?
yep :rolleyes:

you are right.. i'll do it like that.. (512 or 1024)

subcon959 posted on Oct 11 2006 at 07:26 PM said:
Having said that, it doesn't seem to stick at 512 once you go back into prefs so maybe it's not supported yet.
will be fixed in new versions, thank you..

This is a great first release and I want to thank you for your work on this. I have been having some issues though. I want to tweak the settings so I have been using the uae2x-tweak.gpe. I tried to hit B to accept and it crashes. I think you mentioned this happening. So, I opened the uae2x-tweak.gpe in programmers notepad and changed my settings to what I wanted and saved it again.
Code:
 #!/bin/sh
./cpu_speed --upll --timing 1 --cpuclk 285 --trc 6 --tras 4 --twr 1 --tmrd 1 --trfc 1 --trp 2 --trcd 2
./uae2x.gpe

Now when I go back and run uae2x-tweak.gpe I go to the tweak icon to check the settings. I noticed everything was changed. The settings showed up as this:

upll --timing 1 --cpuclk 282 --trc 5 --tras 3 --twr 16 --tmrd 16 --trfc 16 --trp 1 --trcd 1

Anyone know why this is happening?

geise69 posted on Oct 11 2006 at 08:47 PM said:
This is a great first release and I want to thank you for your work on this. I have been having some issues though. I want to tweak the settings so I have been using the uae2x-tweak.gpe. I tried to hit B to accept and it crashes. I think you mentioned this happening. So, I opened the uae2x-tweak.gpe in programmers notepad and changed my settings to what I wanted and saved it again.
Code:
 #!/bin/sh
./cpu_speed --upll --timing 1 --cpuclk 285 --trc 6 --tras 4 --twr 1 --tmrd 1 --trfc 1 --trp 2 --trcd 2
./uae2x.gpe

Now when I go back and run uae2x-tweak.gpe I go to the tweak icon to check the settings. I noticed everything was changed. The settings showed up as this:

upll --timing 1 --cpuclk 282 --trc 5 --tras 3 --twr 16 --tmrd 16 --trfc 16 --trp 1 --trcd 1

Anyone know why this is happening?
that's me again.. i read system's settings and print them as they are, but actually they are +1..
trc 5(+1) = 6, tras 3(+1) = 4 ..
and twr 16 because it returns as 0 and code assumes it overflowed and rotates to highest possible..

Back