Tweaking and Finalizing

I remember that in some early shots the Pandora's silver case looked a lot darker in the photos than the actual device looks in real life. I imagine we're seeing a similar effect here.

-Neelix

I like the idea of a clear case, but I'm concerned a bit at how direct sunlight (or other light rays) can do to the internal components... is there something that can be photosensitive inside ?

I like the idea of a clear case, but I'm concerned a bit at how direct sunlight (or other light rays) can do to the internal components... is there something that can be photosensitive inside ?
makes me think of the raspberry pi 2 reboot bug when exposed to a camera flash xD

Well, if there is then it is easy enough to solve: sunscreen/sunblock lotion. :D

It works:

Evil Dragon looks so proud, also love your comment on PGS.

"I won't call it a scam, as scam means that someone does something bad on purpose, and that's not what I think.
However, being sceptical isn't a bad thing, and I've seen some projects with REALLY good ideas fail because the amount of work and money is underestimated.

I know complex PCB design takes a LOT of time. And the smaller and feature-rich a product is, the more time it takes.

My guess is that you'd need at least 300k USD and 1 year to complete a fully working prototype with your own PCBs from here.

Just the molds for the case would cost 50 - 80k USD, one set of bare multilayer PCBs take 6 weeks to produce, then you need to populate and test them and do that a couple of times... and each run probably costs about 20k USD as well.

The final price you sell it here is LESS than the production costs for an Apple iPhone, and Apple produces these in billions and have VERY VERY good deals with distributors, even providing some parts themselves.

You plan to have more features and sell it for less than Apples costs.

So yes, as much as I hope you can pull it off and wish you the very best, it sounds a lot like you're underestimating the amount of work, prices, etc.

You will never know the real production costs before the real prototype is finished, you can only estimate them, but looking at the features, knowing the prices of parts, your estimation seems too low.

Right now I see three options:

1. This is a scam (which don't hope it is)
2. You underestimated the costs
3. You have some investors or other money lying around so you don't even need any of the Kickstarter money

Please don't see that as trolling.
I do not want to troll, I am not calling you a scam, I just want to make sure you REALLY thought this through, as I don't want you or any of your backers run into a wall."

Looks super rad!

<buzzkill>
Interesting that one of the battery retaining clips broke already.
</buzzkill>

Not really. The plastic wasn't the one we use and it even was broken (in the machine too long and burnt).
These are usually sorted out in mass production, but here, it was just a color sample.

Hey, does Undertale work on Pyra? If not, could someone get it ported or find an emulator for it?

Hey, does Undertale work on Pyra? If not, could someone get it ported or find an emulator for it?

If it is a windows game there is a chance it works with wine (If wine works on the Pyra) but don't keep your hopes up :p.

If it is a windows game there is a chance it works with wine (If wine works on the Pyra) but don't keep your hopes up :p.
It's also x86, so it requires an emulator like qemu or Exagear. When runnning with wine it uses OpenGL as well, so glshim will probably be needed.

I've been wanting to try it on Pandora, but kinda got stuck getting glshim to work from inside Exagear. That was many months ago though, I wanna try again with more recent versions of Exagear and glshim,

It's also x86, so it requires an emulator like qemu or Exagear. When runnning with wine it uses OpenGL as well, so glshim will probably be needed.

I've been wanting to try it on Pandora, but kinda got stuck getting glshim to work from inside Exagear. That was many months ago though, I wanna try again with more recent versions of Exagear and glshim,

Interesting project and i might try too when i get my Pyra but i mostly gonna use mine to browse the web when i travel, watch videos, do programming and retro/emulation gaming. Its a pain to play games like Metroid on a phone.

*snip* Its a pain to play games like Metroid on a phone.
[doublepost=1468003485,1468003187][/doublepost]
Its a pain to play games like Metroid on a phone.
yes that is true, with the exception that the pyra will have excellent gaming controls for retro gaming. Maybe I misunderstood you, but just incase: this will not be a problem, as the pyra is not a phone first, but rather a portable mini laptop, with very decent gaming controls and phone functionality added as a small bonus. I was always very much impressed with the dpad and buttons on the pandora, and playing through metroid or other games that require accurate input, has never been a problem. the analog nubs on the other hand... well let's just hope that the pyra will have better analog nubs.

[doublepost=1468003485,1468003187][/doublepost] yes that is true, with the exception that the pyra will have excellent gaming controls for retro gaming. Maybe I misunderstood you, but just incase: this will not be a problem, as the pyra is not a phone first, but rather a portable mini laptop, with very decent gaming controls and phone functionality added as a small bonus. I was always very much impressed with the dpad and buttons on the pandora, and playing through metroid or other games that require accurate input, has never been a problem. the analog nubs on the other hand... well let's just hope that the pyra will have better analog nubs.

Yes that is one of the reason i will like the Pyra. The controls. What i meant is emulation on a regular phone is a pain because of touchscreen controls are imprecise. And to play with a BT gamepad you need a stand or something to keep the phone up on a table.
My laptop is a bit big and impractical when on the go so Pyra will be the perfect device :p

@EricB: ah now I get it. Sorry, thought you might think that the pyra was touchscreen only or something ^^.

Been following the Pandora and Pyra projects for a long while (Even before Pandora was a finish product :p) so i know what they can do. Just never got around to get a Pandora before (Money reason) but now i decided to get a Pyra.

Edit: Was actually gonna get a Pandora a while back but i found out the Pyra was being developed and decided to wait :D

Last edited:
It works:

Evil Dragon looks so proud, also love your comment on PGS.

"I won't call it a scam, as scam means that someone does something bad on purpose, and that's not what I think.
However, being sceptical isn't a bad thing, and I've seen some projects with REALLY good ideas fail because the amount of work and money is underestimated.

1. This is a scam (which don't hope it is)
2. You underestimated the costs
3. You have some investors or other money lying around so you don't even need any of the Kickstarter money

Please don't see that as trolling.
I do not want to troll, I am not calling you a scam, I just want to make sure you REALLY thought this through, as I don't want you or any of your backers run into a wall."
I think your calling this a scam... I think you might be trolling.
[doublepost=1468104195,1468103858][/doublepost]
@EricB: ah now I get it. Sorry, thought you might think that the pyra was touchscreen only or something ^^.
The number of open small screen touch enabled desktop level PCs is incredibly sparse. I would even call it conspiracy. I'm just looking for a touch enable small screen open device to use as a daily pc.

Back