Today Is A Great Day!(Hopefully)

Mabe Lie is a strong word ,If Ed lets us know about everyother pitfall ,in a way it's
good but when it becomes very personal, i would say keep all the really bad stuff close
and at least not on the world wide web.

Am i the only one that see's Open Pandora as a Business ?
i want to see them do great and i am sure you all do too but
mabe you only want this so you can have your device then
disapear ? i want to see some normal guys make it big, it prooves
it can be done in such a way as Open Pandora but still theres
a need to know and some things should be lefdt on the shelf untill
it's all done or the worst case senario hits us all.

paddy said:
borgqueenx , why don't you shut the fuck up ,you know nothing about business then
if you think lie's are not common place ,in any case all i am saying is please don't
give away too much and get a business head on.

And Mali i don't agree with you ,this is all too open and that's why
with every little detail we get more and more people are canceling orders
yep it doesn't always look good and i would opt not to give out some details
of the progress of the Pandora .what i am saying is not to let it all out
the bag ,something craig actuly does and i agree with that part of craig at least.
I think you need to check yourself at the door paddy. Mali is right, I ve been in business for 20 years. Lies, get you no where. Think Enron, think toyota, all those companies covering shit up. The OP team is doing the best they can and deserve our full support. They have my commitment to there dream, no matter how long it takes. The OP team needs to know WE the community are with them, to the very end

Last edited by a moderator:
mali said:
Lil_Jon_Dave_Chappelle_L_461c9a590d.jpg

Attachments

• Lil_Jon_Dave_Chappelle_L_461c9a590d.jpg
    Lil_Jon_Dave_Chappelle_L_461c9a590d.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 86
WizardStan said:
~Levi~ said:
Im paitent as all sin, I dont mind waiting for the Pandora.
Sin tends not to be patient. Personal experience and people watching have lead me to believe that most sins are committed due to a lack of patience.

Lol. You get the expression =p

paddy said:
Mabe Lie is a strong word ,If Ed lets us know about everyother pitfall ,in a way it's
good but when it becomes very personal, i would say keep all the really bad stuff close
and at least not on the world wide web.

Actually, it's exactly this personal stuff, that keeps people in ;) Give people info and show them that you appreciate their help and they'll follow. I wish my English was better then I would write detailed info.
In short: If you see it as a community project, then you have to make the compromise of being open with all consequences. If you act as a closed company, be ready for a nice assfuck when you disappoint the customer.

Alerino said:
If ED had disclosed ONLY that they would start assembly on april's 1st, we wouldn't have this bitching thread/threat. People are freaking out about deadlines. All we have to do now is focus on pandora potential uses.
But we also know what happens if people aren't informed about the details. They start weird speculations that lead to frustration too.

And one honest question: Do you really think this is a bitching thread/threat?
Where have you been in the last 1.5 years? A bitching thread looks way differently, I can assure you ;)
This thread is a joke, really :D

Alerino you my friend are better with words than me and that is what
i really wanted to say.And borgqueenx i am sorry for the rude words.

While Paddy is right, it is common place for businesses to lie - or at the very least omit the truth. I seriously doubt that it is in OpenPandora Ltds best interest to take a stance of lying or omitting truth. There is a huge difference between the OPLtd model and say, Nintendo.

Nintendo is liable to their shareholders to make a profit. While public image to them is important they are in a position of such popularity and financial stability they can afford to tell the public "Here's a system firmware update that's essential to the future stability of your system" when the reality is that it's just a hack to disable homebrew and does nothing to improve stability for the average end user. Who have they hurt? Just the homebrewers and the pirates, and they have worked in the best interest of their shareholders - by lying. This is par for the course behaviour for just about any incorporated business. Industrial plants routinely fudge numbers about the amounts of toxic chemicals they dump to boost the bottom line, hoping that the EPA doesn't fine the shit out of them. It's a dice-roll - and a lie that makes sharholders more money.

OpenPandora Ltd, on the other hand is not liable to any shareholders, and entire reputation is pretty much reliant on how this community perceives them (at least for the moment). Lying does not gain them anything - perhaps a handful of people who are on the fence about cancelling. It really hurts the real fans though, and only hurts their main source of good-will, word-of-mouth advertising, rabid fan-boy zealots. A handful of sales that are unsure about the value of the purchase is not worth even one rabid fan-boy.

In short the quality and quantity of lies you can safely tell is inversely proportional to your potential client base.

Alerino said:
we wouldn't have this bitching thread/threat
Of course not. We'd have a completely different thread with an equal number of bitching and threats. :p

Alerino said:
@ mali & mindlord & WizardStan
excellent posts!

well, on the 26th and the april 1st, we are going to see the same threads, right?
Yep :D

mali said:
Bosbeetle said:
They did mention that they calculated some extra days to set stuff up etc. This can probably be done without the cases there. The boards are not there yet either. So I expect no extra delay past april 1st
It's surely possible to think that way, but then speculation enters the game.
lol, seriously? That is when speculation enters?

crade said:
lol, seriously? That is when speculation enters?
It's just about expectations. You are right that both thinking it won't affect the schedule and it will affect the schedule are speculation. I should have worded it differently. Keeping expectations low, in this case adding those days on top, is safer when you don't want to be disappointed ;)

just so I could have an arm device before the Pandora arrives I had gotten me a used Zaurus.
just so I could know what xfce would be like on the Pandora I have gotten me a Neo Freerunner.
just so I can test my patience until the Pandora arrives, the FreeRunner is a good device to have. I'm so glad the Pandora OS is in a much better state already than the FreeRunners', which has been out for 2 years and does not have a fully working OS yet. I have 2 Linux distros flashed on it (1 internal, 1 on SD).
just so I can cap it all off I was wishing I'd get the Pandora before my 40th birthday.
just so you know my birthday is in 2 days time and I won't have my Pandora but I only ordered in October so in April it will be just one year divided by 2.

2 devices, 2 years, 2 distros, 2 days. I think I'll order me another Pandora just so I can have 2x the pleasure when they arrive.

Anyone notice the magic number in this saga? ;)

@ED: Please start on the 2nd April, not the 1st. For those of Catholic ordinance the 2nd April will be "Good Friday". What can be a better "Good Friday" than starting assembling Pandoras on a magic-numbered date?

I consider the openness of the team a one of the many reasons I've stuck with this project.

Consider this analogy: You are waiting for a progress bar to finish. First it moves at an anticipated pace, but suddenly it stops at 49%. The bar does not seem to move for some time. What do you do if a) this is all the information you have, or b ) you see what is happening, and find out that the program is parsing a large file as a part of the operation.

If all we had was a progress bar- or just the official posts -I believe many would have quit because the team wouldn't respond.

It may be a bad analogy, but I think it gets my point across :)

EDIT: darn smilies

Ordered on day1 and have browsed these forums for what feels like an eternity and the delays are getting to me now I must confess. (to the point of actually signing up today)

As pointless as it is to ask, if production starts in April, when is a realistic timeframe for the last of the first batch to go out? Ok I doubt i'm the last, but i'm pretty sure i'm not the first. The amount of phone calls where i've been told various dates...

It seems so long ago that I walked into Barcleys and deposited a couple of hundred quid into someones account for something I had no idea i would still not have in my possession

-The long suffering silent.

Garrick said:
It seems so long ago that I walked into Barcleys and deposited a couple of hundred quid into someones account for something I had no idea i would still not be in my posses

It's all good until the feds work out we're funding a terrorist training camp :lol:

Back