The price of the pandora and how it is divided

sandwhich

Still Fresh
I probably haven't followed this close enough lately, so mind me if this was already asked elsewhere:

Currently a pandora costs 370(450 inkl. VAT)€ and 460$(?) for people from the US. Beside Craig mentioning, that the long term price of pandoras might go to around 600$(around 575€ inkl. VAT) I am curious how the current price sums up. As I get it, there are several parts in that price that could be removed after some time:

Current price = (production costs) + (money to fund the production of future batches) + ?(general profits)? + (investors share) + (money to produce remaining preorders) + ?(money to cover EDs and Craigs losses due to CC)?

Is there any estimation, how much a pandora could cost in a few month when the last three parts of that equation are paid off?

It would be very sad to see future pandoras targeting these crazy prices high end smartphones come up with(money I would definitly not pay) or the current price remaining as it is (money noone I know, although liking what my pandora can do, would pay).

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously? "Crazy high" isn't exactly how I would describe a $600 price tag, especially if that applies to future models (i.e. 1 GHz "Pandora 2"). What would you use your Pandora for--emulation? If that's your main interest, it might not be the device for you (although it's pretty stellar for emulation).

-JT

If 600$ comes to 575€ inkl. VAT, that IS too much, at least for me. I have the pandora for the same reason I had a GP2X and a WiZ. Emulation, Homebrew, classics. It performs well here and I believe there is no other device hat could do the same.

Telling people "it might not be the device for you" as soon as they question something seems to be part of the community here, but the pandora IS the device I want. It's just its price that I consider a bit too high and of which I'm I asking whether it could be lowered, nothing more...

The thing is, if you want decent up to date power and the complete functionality of a computer, it's got to be more expensive.

Even Samsung, Apple etc. can't bring them in cheap when making MILLIONS of units.

The 1GHz pandora is certainly a divisive issue.I am happy with it but I understand why others are not.what is irking people is the fact that the 1ghz models are available before all the classic preorders have been filled and the high price.It's unfortunate but i doubt OP can do much about it.some kind of a price restructuring if possible would be good.

the price is shocking.

especially when the build quality is questionable. I got a refurb last year that I returned for a refund because the hinge started to crack and then the lcd went and i'd only had it two months. To be fair it lasted longer than my Vita which got the unbootable problem (and apparentally millions did) within twenty days.

I think the main interest and buyers have moved on - it seems a bit shame that they could not get funding to produce say 10,000 ready to ship in 2010.

the price is shocking.

especially when the build quality is questionable. I got a refurb last year that I returned for a refund because the hinge started to crack and then the lcd went and i'd only had it two months.

I think the main interest and buyers have moved on - it seems a bit shame that they could not get funding to produce say 10,000 ready to ship in 2010.

Well you will be pleased to know both those issues have been solved.

The thing is, if you want decent up to date power and the complete functionality of a computer, it's got to be more expensive.

Even Samsung, Apple etc. can't bring them in cheap when making MILLIONS of units.

No offense, but my question was whether the current model of the pandora could be sold for less once the named parts off the price are setteled and how much that would be.

The cost of the pandora is important - I'm not a huge fan of calling people idiots... but I feel the urge to educate some of the people in this thread and hopefully help they make an informed decision in the future.

There is a economic practice called up-sell. The iPhone, the Kindle, even your Nintendo 3DS costs much more to produce and ship than the price on the ticket. Amazon sells their device for cheap, because it TRAPS people into using their products which will earn them a return on their investment over time.

The Pandora is not the kindle. It's not attached to a bunch of appstores, affiliate marketing schemes and other services trying to pimp you. The cost of the Pandora is the cost. You pay for R&D, final production, shipping and management..... and at the end of the day, you have a product you own completely with minimum limitations....... to do whatever you want without needing to jailbreak

http://www.npr.org/b...ery-kindle-fire

also, regardless of cost. The new CPU is progress - Progress is enabling and good... time for an out of context quote by MLK jr

All progress is precarious, and the solution of one problem brings us face to face with another problem. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Remember, Craig isn't selling you games on SD cards for $60 each... He's selling you a self contained unit

The OpenPandora is like ZOMBO.com - The only limit is yourself!

Back