The plan a bit more detailed (2011-09-27)

Recently we were asked by CraigIX to donate some and given an additional option to purchase a little keychain device in support of the ongoing Pandora project. I know those funds aren't enough to re-reamp production - but are they at least going to you (Evildragon) for Pandora related activities?

Also, Craig will be building the iCPs. If those take off as well, he will be pretty much working fulltime on iCP assembly.

So it's best if I create Pandoras here and send the finished ones to Craig for his customers and he created iCPs and sends the finished ones to me.

BTW: A quick update with some numbers.

So far, I got about 230.000 EUR already for sure and 320.000 EUR maybe.

And this is all with guys from the community here... I wonder what I'll have to offer when I meet those major investors next week. It looks like everything will be settled until then... well, not that I would complain about that :)

This community simply rocks :) Thank you all :D

I'm going to make a phonecall to GC today... it seems we can start pretty soon, so I might order some stuff right away today.
Great news ed. If theres still time in a few months i will invest at least the minimum amount.I think its a good idea to have global components do the full assembly of Pandoras. :)

Recently we were asked by CraigIX to donate some and given an additional option to purchase a little keychain device in support of the ongoing Pandora project. I know those funds aren't enough to re-reamp production - but are they at least going to you (Evildragon) for Pandora related activities?

No, they help Craig to keep everything going, and I don't need those funds right now :)

As far as I remember this isn't that new. ED wrote weeks ago that he was either planning to do the assembly by himself (at least for the forst 1k units) or directly at GC.

No shipping to UK except for that machines that were ordered by people from the island.

In my opinion this makes perfectly sense. Craig is fully occupied by doing the ICP stuff and who knows what the people he hired for assembly are doing now? I doubt that they still work for Craig so wherever you start the assembly of the new units you need to hire new people and to teach them how to do it. So why not safe all those money for sending boards and units from A to B and back?
It's good if it can be handled like this. I just was worried that they still would continue the complete Pandora Assembling in England. But of course it is the best solution when everything is assembled in one place. ^^

I wonder if the new investor thingy would have worked already in the past. Would have solved many problems and maybe it would be much cheaper in the end comparted to the current situation.

However, it also is possible that the investors are so open for the Pandora now because it is actualy an existing and tested product with customers, a comunity and a software base. ^^

Exactly, I think investments at an earlier state would have left ed with a lot of angry investors because of the cc crises.

So far, I got about 230.000 EUR already for sure and 320.000 EUR maybe.

And this is all with guys from the community here... I wonder what I'll have to offer when I meet those major investors next week. It looks like everything will be settled until then... well, not that I would complain about that :)

[...]

I'm going to make a phonecall to GC today... it seems we can start pretty soon, so I might order some stuff right away today.

That's amazing! :)

But don't make too huge steps until the contracts are signed.

PS: And of course congrats to skeezix. ;)

Exactly, I think investments at an earlier state would have left ed with a lot of angry investors because of the cc crises.
Actualy, I meant if the investment AND the german Company was choosen from the very beginning. ;)

I guess the Nub-crysis would have still happend then and same for the Chinese Case Company issues, but at least OPT never had to deal with CC. ^^

There is a saying in Dutch and I just googled the German counterpart ;)

"Man darf die Haut des Bären nicht verkaufen, bevor man ihn getötet hat."

Shouldn't you wait for signed contracts? Saying you want to invest is not the same as investing.

Shouldn't you wait for signed contracts? Saying you want to invest is not the same as investing.

Don't worry, I won't order everything.

But I've also got some money left in my company, so I could pay the one-time costs for bare PCB production (those are less than 5000 EUR).

This would safe weeks - and we NEED to do that, otherwise there will never be anymore Pandoras ;)

"Don't count your chickens before they've hatched."

good finaly more software dev as some say software matters more than hardware

Last edited by a moderator:
ED, I still don't feel a free pre-order like that is what you should be doing. Every place where pre-orders are made be it game stores or whatever need you to ake a deposit, the Pandora should not be any different.

I agree with Darkknight on this one for sure. It seems it would work well to not offer preorders till the company was sure they could start filling demand in a reasonable time then require a $25 deposit that is non refundable. If you can't deliver in time it would be refunded and the $25 taken off the price when it is delivered. It would be a financial promise between both parties and I would think many people would take the gamble hoping to save $50. Then just make sure to cut off preorders as soon as the number gets to high. Get caught up and repeat.

With all these large numbers running around I am wondering how much of the profit OPT is going to squeeze out of this. It seems almost like the group is planning on loaning themselves out of a profit. Is it just me?

Also I have no place to say anything here but I am going to anyways... I understand the necessity of delaying the deliveries of batch 1 and 2 preorders, it seems like the OPT team owes those people a little something. And I am sure a keychain and a case for the device will not make the years of yearning go away but I would think it would win back a few brownie points with their loyal customers.

I think some custom protective skins would be cool and reasonably priced.

Anyways, I didn't preorder, so this isn't my issue, so maybe I shouldn't be talking about it.

Im Back, and i dit the Mats: For my favored PS2 Games, and the PS1 Games, and all Stuff i have on my Pandora 1, i would need about 72gb on the Pandora 2, but since 64gb sdhc Cards are realy expensive, maybe whe need a mini flashdrive whit this sice..

Congratulations Skeezix! (You can only become a dad once ED :) )

What 30PB should be enough for everyone? We are talking about RAM here right? For the SSD/HD, I was thinking more of a GoogleByte (GLB?) ... or better two of those ;)

Just like 640 kb RAM will be enough for anybody? ^^

It is. You just have to specify your usage.

In the 70's, 640Kb of RAM was enough for anybody.

In the early 80's, 640Kb of RAM was enough for your main memory.

In the late 80's, 640Kb of RAM was enough for your video memory.

In the early 90's, 640Kb of RAM was enough for your USB stick.

In the late 90's, 640Kb of RAM was enough for your phone SIM

In the early 00's, 640Kb of RAM was enough for your hard drive cache.

In the late 00's, 640Kb of RAM was enough for your wristwatch.

Also it should be noted that the quote was said at a time when the maximum theoretical limit was 1MB, and that 1MB needed to be divided between user and system: 640Kb of RAM should be enough for users because the other 384Kb needed to be reserved for the system.

The equivalent quote today would be something like "3.6GB should be enough for anybody" (on a 32bit system) because the upper 400MB or so is used by the system (specifically the graphics card).

Or "1.8TB should be enough for anyone" when referring to flash media, 2TB being the absolute physical limit of an SDHC card and then needing to subtract some for overhead.

Or "<absolute physical limit of technology minus some amount necessary for overhead> should be enough for anyone"

I dit the mats like i said bevore, and i need for all good games i have about 80 gb, but 128gb would cost about 250 €....., thas a bit too expensive..

Meybe whe can get 6 SD Card Places to have 16gb each?? Than whe have 98 gb on the Pandora 2 ...

But meybe when the Pandora 2 is allready, the carts are a bit less expensive, but i dont know..

Ok, enought of topic, lets doing the bussines again, i wish the pandora projekt a lot of luck..

I dit the mats like i said bevore, and i need for all good games i have about 80 gb, but 128gb would cost about 250 €....., thas a bit too expensive..

Meybe whe can get 6 SD Card Places to have 16gb each?? Than whe have 98 gb on the Pandora 2 ...

But meybe when the Pandora 2 is allready, the carts are a bit less expensive, but i dont know..

Ok, enought of topic, lets doing the bussines again, i wish the pandora projekt a lot of luck..

By the time the Pandora 2 comes out I'm sure 256 GB cards will be just as expensive as current 32 Gb ones. It's going to be years away.

Also, I know you noted that your English is not the best in your signature, I recommend using the spellcheck in your browser, it can help your learn better english, your spelling is not too far off and I'm sure the spell checker will pick up where you leave off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back