The Gp2x Is Dead!

palmertech

NOOOOOOOO!!!! I just found this out from the gp2x stock status thread, and it appears that the GP2X is finally dead. Why, GPH? WHYYYYYYYY! This is so incredibly depressing..... :sniffle: Wait a sec... Does this mean that the price of a used GP2X will skyrocket? I had one, but it is currently in pieces, being used in a project, so there goes hope of owning a collectors item... I wonder how well the GP2X scene will hold up without the GP2X... Discuss.

gp2xappreciationnr9.png

The GP2X isn't dead, people still develop for it.

I know. But the same can be said for the Atari 2600. I will love mine forever, but now all my friends that planned on getting a GP2X this summer are unable to... And I imagine that it is the same for many other people.

Given what a disaster the gp2x was I'm surprised they made it this long. Let it go and wait for something better. It won't take much to top the gp2x and software for it can easily be ported to any ARM device. Hell the gp2x didn't even have any worthwhile graphics hardware, everything was software. There is really nothing to miss and honestly I won't be too upset if I can't buy a handheld with a shit control scheme that eats AAs like water.

hopefully I will have no use for mine once I get a pandora, then your friends can buy mine! :)

I just bought one from gp2x.co.uk and its getting delivered today/tomorrow (got an email saying its been despatched).

If its faulty, do I just wipe my ass on the guarantee and use the GP2X F200 as a beermat??

Probably. Should have bought from GBAX. This is apparently GPH's last screw over move before abandoning us.

Well, I did buy it from GBAX.

I can remember using GBAX to buy it, then looking at gp2x.co.uk, and over at gp2x.co.uk it was less expensive. At the time I thought sh*t! But I definately did buy at GBAX.

The sites are both the same arent they, owned by the same people?

Seems like it, both have the same contact information.

Oh, woops, I knew that. :p Craigx should stand behind his guarantee. So I think you are safe. :D

Damn!? I feel lucky a bit. Yeah the front end sucks, but thank you DEV folk for the outstanding work. The community is great! Pandora is around the corner. If only gasoline automobiles were so easy to halt production of.

And bringing our boys and girls back home.

Peace

Danks!

Link

If Ford was willing to cut off all relations with customers without warning, leaving all of us without warranties or parts, could certainly halt production. We would hate them for it, but it could be done. Look at GPH, they saw no obstacle! :p

Disclaimer: Yes, I know it is more complicated than that, my dad is in the car business. I was just trying to prove a point. :)

Well there's no official announcement from GPH yet just a cryptic message from the maker of a competing device. If its true I hope I can at least get a cradle for cheap now though. Anyway its possible they are just making another hardware revision and decided to stop making new units of the current revision.

In any case accessories are still in stock and distributors are sure to still honor their warranty if you got one recently.

gp2x devs have not stopped making new programs and games and hell if the gp2x is defunct it makes it potentially even cooler to dev for in a way.

I'm not gonna stop using my gp2x anytime soon as I have loved it from the start. Its a good piece of hardware that devs allowed to have an excellent software library. A fair amount of devs have said they have no plans of abandoning the gp2x immediately so need to panic yet.

palmertech said:
NOOOOOOOO!!!! I just found this out from the gp2x stock status thread, and it appears that the GP2X is finally dead. Why, GPH? WHYYYYYYYY! This is so incredibly depressing..... :sniffle: Wait a sec... Does this mean that the price of a used GP2X will skyrocket? I had one, but it is currently in pieces, being used in a project, so there goes hope of owning a collectors item... I wonder how well the GP2X scene will hold up without the GP2X... Discuss.
Hopefully I bought my GP2X in coding learning purposes. Only the wimps that cry that they did nothng while gp2x was here

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex. said:
gp2xappreciationnr9.png

The GP2X isn't dead, people still develop for it.
I like that picture, but it kind of makes me sad.

I do hope that a few things still come out and or improved on the GP2X. Just because it is discontinued shouldn't effect the ones we all have. It is not like they will now all evaporate out of our hands.

The future will all be about fancy 3D, widescreens, and internet. The GP2X is probably one of the last devices that fit retro games so well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I second the "wait for official confirmation". I'm pretty sure Craig actually edited his message and that the original said it'd be discontinued, then it was changed to be (surprise, surprise!) more ambiguous. Although his sites do say that it's no longer manufactured... We all know how accurate his sites tend to be though :rolleyes:

Back