The Gp2x Is Dead!

grahf said:
To me, judging by the size of the SD slot, the screen looks to be at about 3". The tapering around the card slot kinda throws it off. 3" is ok with me, but just barely. I'm not interested if the screen is much under 3".

Besides the screen, red trim and the second d-pad, I kinda like it. I would buy one if it was around $100.
It looks like they could have put a 3.5" screen in there as there is a big border around the screen. Even if the unit grew by 1/4" and the border shrunk by 1/4" so what, at least it would be more useable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, i'm sure that manufacturing price is the reason. Maybe we get lucky and they end up using the same screen as the GP2x. I was always satisfied with it.
But who knows at this point, I'm more concerned with the (lack of) buttons. Lets wait and see what the end up actually putting together.

duagor said:
That design is a fake.
I hope so. Or at least some other companies product. I mean Wiz? Why not stick with the GPxx naming convention.

If GPH are gearing up for a new product wouldn't continuing selling the gp2x make more sense as its money coming in that could go to the development of the new device.

Id take a wiz on any device with dual dpads and no buttons.

Hmm... if the right side is indeed a real D-pad, then it would be impossible to charge the X-Buster and dash (as well as jump) at the same time in the Megaman X games (without reconfiguring the controls). :eek:

Same goes for some fighting games... Primal Rage comes to mind; that game required a lot of simultaneous button presses. <_<

I really like the name + the design of the new console, i'll definitely be buying one.

327925835.jpg

Hando (site admin) sais that he has deleted Wiz's topic in pandora forums on the GPH's quest (I hope that topic will be spared, or just cleaned from pandora's dirty posters)
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=43331
Wiz prototype design got totaly harrased by pandora's wankers...

Maybe dual Dpad is not much for oldschool emulation, but for original homebrew it hits the spot.
It looks likes for me that new screen is not a touchscreen one
A good device to learn C/C++ and OpenGl ES.
Lesser buttons = more fun

jbrodack said:
Why not stick with the GPxx naming convention.
Because the GP** naming convention sucks and makes no sense. As someone who has been on these forums enough, I know that GP32 stands for Game Park, and I assume (not sure, though) that the 32 stands for 32-bit. I also know the story about GPX / GPX2 / GP2X... But, it's stupid, and even on these forums there have been multiple jokes at it's meaninglessness of a random assortment of letters and numbers.
  • "Game Park" is not a very well known company outside of these forums.
  • GPH ≠ Game Park, so why continue to name your system after a company you decide to leave 5 years ago (or however long it was)
  • And, I know that this is not other handhelds - but other handhelds haven't done the "sequel" naming style. (There is no Game Boy II, or WonderSwan 4) Handhelds normally either add something to the name (Game Boy Advance / WonderSwan Color) or change the name entirely (Nintendo DS / SwanCrystal / Nomad)
  • The "Wiz" is actually not a bad nameI know it's a synomn for urine - but so is the Wii, and - yes, people made fun of that name, too - but it's the best selling console on the market, and people got over the name.
  • Wiz is short for Wizard, which is a good symbol for game system - lots of Wizards in video games.
  • Wizards are powerful - power is good for a tech toy.
  • If someone is a "Wiz" at something - they are highly skilled at it, and can usually get things done quickly.
  • Wiz also implies speed (that car just whizzed by here!) - Speed is good for a tech toy.

I know both current commercial handhelds are a series of letters - but they aren't 4 characters long - and most people know what they stand for. (Just in case - DS = Dual-Screen / PSP = PlayStation Portable.) In the case of the DS - it stand for the unique feature that sets it apart from everything else. In the case of the PSP, there have been over 14 years of highly-successful brand recognition of the PS/PlayStation name that back up the PSP name - not just a handful of enthusists, like the GP** name - but with the entire video game community and beyond.

Another reason is, perhaps they don't want to associate the Wiz with the GP32 or the GP2X. Maybe there's something new about this (like the dual-dpads, or the above rumored motion sensor) that makes it a different animal than the GP2X.

Craig & Co. purposefully chose the name Pandora rather than GPH3Y2 or some other equally indecipherable code (from what I've read at least partly...) because it's not just another open source game system. It's not just the GP2X-2, or the next in a line of related handhelds made by different companies. It's a different animal. It's a (to avoid flames for whatever marketing abbreviation I choose) pocketable computer. Perhaps the people at GPH were thinking something like that.

A GP** system has a built-in fanbase. Followers of this forum, at least, and I'm sure there are GP2X users who don't read here, but would buy the next-generation of the GP2X, just because it's the next generation of the GP2X. But a lot of those same people will buy the next system from GPH - no matter what the name.

There are some people that got burned on the GP2X, or the GP32, in one way or another, and won't buy a GP** system ever again. By not associating the name, perhaps GPH hopes to reach those people.

Also - just looking at a bunch of letters and numbers doesn't grab most people's attention (notice the marketing success of Apple - whose systems all have pronouncable names like iMac, MacBook, Mac Pro - not XLS-7201 / EPW-5995 / LD-8600 ), but words do.

I'm not saying it's always wrong to use non-word letters and/or numbers to label your gadget. So please don't flame me with examples of successful code-named products. It was asked "Why didn't they follow GP2X" - and I gave some possible reasons.

Oh, and one more. People have suggested that the change of the SoC will kill (at least some) backwards compatibility. Naming it after a previous system implies backwards compatibility, if there is none - it's best not to name it that way. (I'm looking at you Xbox 360, PS3, and Game Boy Micro! <_< )

This is not about backward compatibility. Why mp3 still played evrywhere? Do you patch roms for each platform you emulating with them on?

WIZ = World Infiltrating Zealot :)

Who knows. Maybe they even doing "gp2x mini" along with the "Wiz". Can't wait to see better quality photos of Wiz since I want to make it my desktop wallpaper :)

If they change the control scheme, this might be a decent GP2X-like system for my brother.

quasist said:
Hando (site admin) sais that he has deleted Wiz's topic in pandora forums on the GPH's quest
What a revolting development this is

i see the rational, but it doesnt have that "cool" soundingess like the pandora or psp.
something like the MPT (mega park three, mega is an anagram for game, relating to GP)

I'm not that sad. The GP2X wasn't good. No, it was a piece of shit, but it did what it did better than anything. I am totally welcoming of a new successor and Pandora seems like just as good as any. My GP2X died the other week, so I'm screwed, fortunately 3 handhelds are around the corner and things are looking fine. The GP2X software library was great and all, but there wasn't much that couldn't have been done better on emulation.

PoisonedV said:
The GP2X software library was great and all, but there wasn't much that couldn't have been done better on emulation.
Actually, a lot of GP2X homebrew games don't have emulated counterparts. I think the GP2X's software library reached the level of maturity that should grant this fact acceptance.

I really never played any, so I must have missed them. They were mostly generic arcade or puzzle games.

Alex. said:
PoisonedV said:
The GP2X software library was great and all, but there wasn't much that couldn't have been done better on emulation.
Actually, a lot of GP2X homebrew games don't have emulated counterparts. I think the GP2X's software library reached the level of maturity that should grant this fact acceptance.

I'm with Alex here. I've never seen a system, outside of the Amiga, that reached the levels of developer commitment the GP2X currently enjoys. And that wont disappear overnight.

Right now, most - if not all - devs have their eyes on the Pandora. They probably have read and absorbed the OpenGL basics and are looking forward to the next step up. The explosion of software that will be available for the Pandora one - two weeks after launch....

sam fisher said:
I for one will certainly support GPH's new console and will develop for that. Hopefully anything I release will end up on the "Wiz" and the Pandora.
Good to hear. I like to see a Boomshine conversion...

BTW, welcome back Sam! :)

Regards,
Stephan

Back