The Gp2x Is Dead!

fishybawb said:
Even if it is a "real" d-pad, you normally only need to press buttons that are close to each other at the same time, in which case it'd be just like hitting diagonals. I think it looks good.
It's true that only 1 out of 3 2-button combinations on a 2x2 grid would be completely ruled out by a D-pad - hitting "the diagonals" is not an answer.

Super Mario Bros. 3 - Raccon Tail Flight on a D-pad Down to build up speed. Then at the edge of the cliff... Down, down-right, down, down-right, down, down-right... over and over and over again. Precisely hitting a diagonal isn't easy - making sure two buttons are down isn't hard.

I don't like it. If the one on the right is just four wedge-shaped buttons in the form of a D-Pad, that's okay, stupid IMHO, but doable. Two actual d-pads is bad. Two false d-pads is bad. But, what do I know? I'm not a game system designer.

And, besides ruling out 1/3 of all possible button combinations is a problem anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those dpad`s are like a number 47 bus, You wait for ever when you need one, When you don`t, Two come at once. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I personally don`t think it`s a bad looking system. Very similar in style to the GP2x, But, With what looks to be like a proper dpad at last. If this is for real, And GPH do plan to release a system like this, With hopefully better performing hardware and better build quality than the GP2x, And they change the right dpad to 4 buttons, I think i might just buy one. :)

Trooper

Come on, loads of games have a run button, also imagine trying to do combos on that second Dpad, or a double button jump move (Wonderboy for example needs you to press 2 buttons at once for the super jump).

This is retarded, GPH can change this, it is just a matter of if they will actually listen this time. Let's not have the GP2X first edition situation all over again.

GPH: Do you actually PLAY any games?!

You may wonder why I care, Pandora etc., but we will still be selling this in the UK so we want it to be as good as it possibly can. This can be made better if GPH just add those action buttons in.

craigix said:
Come on, loads of games have a run button, also imagine trying to do combos on that second Dpad, or a double button jump move (Wonderboy for example needs you to press 2 buttons at once for the super jump).
*says in Chef from South Park voice... for some unknown reason* Mark it down, Children. Craigix and I agree. First the news about the buttons on the iControlPad, and now this... It's getting cold in here - I think something must have frozen over!

I like the design. Looking forward to homebrew for that
-Image Redacted-
Dual Dpads looks yummi for first person shooters

First XGP model had similar controllers on Left and Right sides from the screen

IMHO, only that is somewhat ugly - speaker's holes.

I also like the design. Very clear and puristic. I also like the dual controllers. Very good for arcade games like Robotron, Assault, Smash TV, Vindicators, SDI or Total Carnage. There are also the shoulder buttons that can be used if different buttons must be pressed simultanously...

Regards,
Stephan

**smells motion sensor

They should call this "MegaWiz", not just "Wiz" :)

atomicthumbs said:
Let them persist with their control scheme. Less competition for the Pandora.
People are still going to want a GP2X, which is being discontinued. What GPH is doing could work much better as a GP2X replacement than Pandora. They're really not close enough categorically to be considered competition.

atomicthumbs said:
craigix said:
You may wonder why I care, Pandora etc., but we will still be selling this in the UK so we want it to be as good as it possibly can.
If the creator of the Pandora doesn't wish ill will towards the Wiz, why would you?

chad78 said:
atomicthumbs said:
craigix said:
You may wonder why I care, Pandora etc., but we will still be selling this in the UK so we want it to be as good as it possibly can.
If the creator of the Pandora doesn't wish ill will towards the Wiz, why would you?

1. He is not a sheep to listen anyone...
2. because he is a donkey :p
It is a RPG situation

It looks like one of those crappy little Chinese PMPs complete with a microscopic screen and lousy controls. I assume from the looks of it it is one of those little 2.8" GBA sized screens that the Chinese are in love with these days. I thought the GP2X's 3.5" screen was a bit small, but this thing! OUCH! GPH included a lolipop with the first GP2Xs. With this they need to include some aspirin for the headache that you will get looking at the micro postage stamp screen. Blech! A step backwards from the GP2X!

What happened to the buttons! First they came out with the F200 with all buttons and no d-pad, now we get all pads! Their stupidity is legendary. I suppose you could mod it by taking out the second pad and sawing it into 4 pieces but still :rolleyes:

So they killed the GP2X to come out with this? And what is the advantage? Poor quality 3D (who cares, not like there are going to be games that rival the DS or PSP) a small screen, non replaceable battery, and two pads? So the CPU is faster, but with all of those other flaws I don't see it being worth it.

To me, judging by the size of the SD slot, the screen looks to be at about 3". The tapering around the card slot kinda throws it off. 3" is ok with me, but just barely. I'm not interested if the screen is much under 3".

Besides the screen, red trim and the second d-pad, I kinda like it. I would buy one if it was around $100.

I'll get one to complement my Pandora.

If it is based on pollux, it will be a signigicantly faster than GP2X with OpenGL ES 1.1 with the ability to render 1 million polygons a second.

This will be great, as it will be smaller, lightly. Really fitting in my pocket with the ability to do PSX for real this time.

Hmmm....if this did PSX emulation fullspeed, I would consider it...but it really looks quite terrible.

I appreciate the D-Pad, but what's the deal with dual dpads and no set of buttons? Imagine trying to play fighting games like that...that'd be a real pain. Not sure how great the controls would be for PSX like that too. I also wonder if it has a touch screen.

Battery life better be improved.

I also think they really need to include wifi...

I think I'm pretty sure I won't be buying Pandora AND Wiz...McDonalds doesn't pay all that well. If Wiz is under $100 though, and it has working PSX...I would consider it. Honestly, the only door I think that this system could open is PSX emulation, MAYBE better multimedia apps. Aside from that, I don't see any big developments occurring on the platform.

i, personally, hope this will be a cheap, psx running, small, durable, player.
alas, it will probably just play divx.

Back