The Caring Corner :)

Keeping busy is the best. Lately I've been building wood wick candles. The crackling isn't perfect yet, but still amazing to have around.
How do you get a piece of wood to function as a wick? Do you twist it to break the fibers off of each other? Or does it just work with a solid piece?

Am definitely back to normal, because I've noticed that I keep changing my project plans on a whim. Current ones are, add features to unit convertor program, make platform game and write book (formerly known as mystery project) using Sigil.

Edit: Forgot to mention have completed Wikipedia scraper.

Last edited:
How do you get a piece of wood to function as a wick? Do you twist it to break the fibers off of each other? Or does it just work with a solid piece?
I've been using ice cream sticks and it just works. I believe those are made from beech. Will try with a piece of balsa wood next.

I probably should have a go, because my ability to focus is nowhere near as good as it used to be.
Same here. 10 years ago or so I could familiarise myself with some complex topic and create solutions to problems in that field, before much manifested in my long term memory. Now, when I try to get the hang of something complex, I mainly hurt my head.

I blame FOMO and too much choice. I can do pretty much anything I want to but can't decide what I want to do most so end up doing nothing. And when I do do something I switch randomly between things due to my attention span having diminished since I was younger.

I didn't do anything demanding with the brain of mine for years. I guess depression would be a fitting term. I didn't even play games, since my pc tends to crap out, when I try any 3d application, since I last updated it. Never found the cause.
And when I tried to do something ambitious, I put the target to high.

So to anyone, I guess, If you've got a well trained brain, don't stop using it - at least not for years. It reduces like an unused muscle.

I can't remember if I've done much of anything intellectual or anything at all really due to my depression ruining my ability to store memories. The stuff that I do remember tends to be the bad stuff that's happened and the good stuff tends to fade away.

On a less depressing note, here is a video featuring the most serious man in the world.

I was on vacation in a cabin near West Jefferson, North Carolina from 4 PM Tuesday to 10 AM this morning. Had my tablet with me, but mostly avoided it and had a good time. Actually lost five pounds in those three days.

The weird thing is, after getting back and putting everything away, I took a nap, and woke up stiff as hell. It was a struggle to even get to the bathroom. Funny, I started the vacation that way too, sort of, but it had been gone for the last couple days.

Might be the body healing from all of the exercise you've been taking away from your tablet. Although I'm not sure what you'd been doing before the trip to cause similar features.

All the diarrhea and a bit of vomit today. No clue where it came from. Thought it might have been that famous Ashe County Cheese we got on vacation, but my dad said on the phone today that he ate his last night, and nothing bad has happened to him.

My back has been bouncing around from being better to not so good too.

I'm also torn on whether I should have some water yet or not. I'm not sure what the effects of dehydration are, but I know what the effects of too much water will be.

In my experience bladder discomfort and headache are the most common signs of early dehydration for me, at least when I was younger and more liable to end up in that state, but I guess that different folk might have different symptoms for that.

For me the only effect of drinking too much water are needing to go to the toilet more often, but I do believe it's possible to die from ingestion of too much water, from back in the day when kids in clubs on ecstasy were reportedly dying from that.

Ask a doctor, but from what I've heard one has to drink extra water when having a diahrrea, to recover the lost liquids (ok, not the lost liquids, just an equivalent amount). I'm not sure what the consequences of dehydration are. Headache, blood pressure problems, it could eventually be serious. The alternative is serum direct to the vein but that's normally only possible in a hospital. Too much water can be dangerous but it has to be really a lot, like in normally one is not able to drink so much in his right senses unless forced. At least in "acute overwatering", so to say. "Chronic overwatering" is more likely, that would be having the habit to drink too much water (I don't know, maybe double or triple as a normal person) every day for a long time. That might overload the kidney, I have heard. But I have no idea about health.

Last edited:
If you're losing water, refill. If your salt level's too low, your body can't afford to keep additional water, though. So, put 0.9% salt in your water and let your kidneys sort out, what to keep and what to get rid of. That's what they're good at.

If you're losing water, refill. If your salt level's too low, your body can't afford to keep additional water, though. So, put 0.9% salt in your water and let your kidneys sort out, what to keep and what to get rid of. That's what they're good at.
Yeah get a big glass (about 500ml) and add a teaspoon of salt to it. I think the 0.9% comes from a teaspoon of salt in a pint glass, which I make to be a solution of 0.868% (so 0.9% on rounding), but in a 500ml glass that becomes 1% dead, but I reckon that's close enough. If you're having trouble keeping down food, you can also add a teaspoon of sugar to it as well. I have had to do that in the past.

You know, I don't know who's coming in to give me my evening meds tonight. It's kinda important, as I think I may have puked up most of my morning Klonopin, so I'll really be needing the evening one.

Back