The Caring Corner :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
funny-nap-remedy-best-treatment.png

Also in other news Idoha and I are going to have a Google street view adventure today (so I've been told).

Sun lamp, yo.
Any recommendations there?
Buy second hand... or get a suntan studio 5 sessions discount (it's faster to tan full body than tio move your body around the lamp to get equal exposure). Summer is coming, so you will get enough light later in the year.

Agree on changing meds if nothing is happening. Just consult with your docter first.

Again repeating that you should take up running. It's cheap (requires a pair of good sneakers), and you get a good dose of endorphines out of it.

edit:

about closing your account. Why not change the password to those generated ones (by keepassX) and then store it in a save place? This way you can come back if the need arises.

Last edited:
This will probably get me sent to Coventry but here goes. I dislike programming, I feel that it's something that I should like/want to do but I just don't. When I'm doing it I find it stressful and want it to be over so that I can spend the rest of the year trying to forget about my experience.

Picture related:

2saf5n8.jpg

I dislike programming
There is nothing wrong with that. You do not have to do it. There are plenty of ways to make a living and most hobbies do not require you to code (although TIS-100 can be a lot of fun).
I feel that it's something that I should like/want to do but I just don't. When I'm doing it I find it stressful and want it to be over so that I can spend the rest of the year trying to forget about my experience.
Ever had to extend crappy code of someone else under time pressure? That is where the real anti-fun starts.

The reason I feel like I should enjoy/do programming is that I'll be looked down upon f I don't. It probably all ties into my lack of self esteem, I've been ready a few times to just forget all my computing knowledge because I feel that I've not learned anything worthwhile/am no good at anything computer related.

The reason I feel like I should enjoy/do programming is that I'll be looked down upon f I don't. It probably all ties into my lack of self esteem, I've been ready a few times to just forget all my computing knowledge because I feel that I've not learned anything worthwhile/am no good at anything computer related.
Not everything is programming. You need a diverse skill set:
  • Google-fu, because somebody else has done it before
  • HigLevelDesign, because you need communication skills to translate wishes and requirements into a system design. Even by talking to other teams you can get good info (for example: Unix teams do not talk much to Windows teams, yet share similar problems, which might have been solved already by the other team)
  • Architect, because it takes a bit of knowhow to know what the best tool is (in-house knowledge, ease of use, re-usability, speed, and many other factors)
  • Detailed Design, because the architect does not actually know how to do it.... ;)
  • Planning, Gannt, notulate, meetings, display progress and project-to-future, budget, resources, vacation, etc). Report status to the manager(s). Push mandates down to the programmers.
  • Testing. Unit testing, Technical Acceptance Testing. User Acceptance testing. Fuzzing, Performance Testing, etc.
  • One-liner-fu to re-usable scripter. Just collect all handy scripts and put them in a menu of sorts, so it can be reused. (add parameters, add inline help, etc)
  • Procedures in general. How to allocate a new machine that the testers need. How to shoot a change request, how to get stuff approved by management, how to handle the new CI's. Ownership and maintenance of these new assets, etc.

Tips:

Learn yED to visualize stuff. It's awesome (and works on the Pandora)

Last edited:
Not everything is programming. You need a diverse skill set:
  • Detailed Design, because the architect does not actually know how to do it.... ;)
The architect is probably focused on the hard parts that need alignment of all stakeholders, the environment it's made and deployed in and all the technical requirements.

And not everyone likes programming. A lot of people that use computers can't program and not every programmer I know enjoys programming.

I just feel the urge to say how bad is the "Ready Player One" movie... it is sooo bad !! (Maybe the worst movie I ever seen) :mad:

Going to see if I can get more sleep tonight than I have done the last few nights, since lack of sleep has caused me to be overly dramatic (it's usually either that or incredibly annoyed).

I just feel the urge to say how bad is the "Ready Player One" movie... it is sooo bad !! (Maybe the worst movie I ever seen) :mad:
Thanks for the warning. I saw the trailer and thought it was ok (better than tron, due to the plot), with lots of retro elements mixed in (tron, back to the future, David Lee Roth). Are you sure you haven't just forgotten other bad movies?
I hated Godzilla (stupid reptile wants to hatch egg in human infested area, instead of the intelligent city saver), but the soundtrack was awesome. Was it worse than movies like Transformers (any movie), Tron, MazeRunner?

Thanks for the warning. I saw the trailer and thought it was ok (better than tron, due to the plot), with lots of retro elements mixed in (tron, back to the future, David Lee Roth). Are you sure you haven't just forgotten other bad movies?
I hated Godzilla (stupid reptile wants to hatch egg in human infested area, instead of the intelligent city saver), but the soundtrack was awesome. Was it worse than movies like Transformers (any movie), Tron, MazeRunner?

Let's say, to evade spoilers, that I just can't understand for what kind of target the movie was made... references are for 30-40 years people, the story/characters are DEFINITELY for teenagers, and while the entire movie seems to be for "geeks", it is not... because they explain everything they do like if people watching the movie doesn't know a thing about the gaming world...
Also, the most dramatic scenes, the "life or death" ones, with spectacular saves and all, are almost always inside the game !! That is NOT like "The Matrix", where you actually could die for real... in this case it's just a game... you die... you shout something bad to the sky, and then you reconnect again... so I just can't feel the sensations the movie wants to give, them seems too exaggerate for me, in that contest... and are also not consistent... the same guy who plays like a BOSS in the world of DOOM against hundreds of demons, in another area screams and run away like a girl when in front of a zombie...

it was just a total mess for me... even how the story ends...

EDIT: By the way, I actually love the first Transformers movie, not so much the others but at least them have a somewhat working story and very funny scenes

Last edited:
The book (RPO) isn't so bad, really. Not outstanding literature, but definitely enjoyable, and more so if you're a fan of 80s nerd culture. That said, I can't really see how the most interesting parts would translate to film...

The book (RPO) isn't so bad, really. Not outstanding literature, but definitely enjoyable, and more so if you're a fan of 80s nerd culture. That said, I can't really see how the most interesting parts would translate to film...
I have had the book for a while and haven't started it yet. I wanted to finish REAMDE first, and I don't dedicate much time to reading fiction.

I am still having trouble focusing on reading. I didn't want to share this publicly, but I am on medication to deal with some stuff and I think that is interfering with that. Since reading is one of the few things I can usually derive some enjoyment from, this kinda sucks. It takes me forever to get through things, regardless of my interest (it took me a few hours total to get through a not very technical chapter dealing with some historical subjects of great interest to me, and those hours were broken up into tiny chunks). It is the same with all forms of entertainment right now, and I actually feel worse in my down time because of all this...

My sleep is also totally messed up. I am sleeping more normal hours than usual, but the are still inconsistent and I have no control over them. For many years I would only sleep a few hours a night unless physically exhausted, and I couldn't force myself to sleep more. Now I am probably averaging 8 hours a day, but that could mean a couple hours one day and 15 the next, and I still feel I have no control over it. Those days where I am constantly tired are a problem. The only reason I am awake right now is massive amounts of caffeine and I am forcing myself to read and watch Star Trek Discovery (I haven't been able to finish it yet).

All of these issues combined tell me my problem untreated was a bit more bearable for me, however it wasn't better for loved ones. I won't quite JDTAY, but I think we are in the same boat (I gave plenty of time, many months, and things are still off, so I will all the doc for help with deciding what to do).

Oh, and thanks to a single picture, my recurrent and uncontrollable bad thoughts have returned, but only in relation to that picture. My usual pattern in still controlled, so no need to worry about me being arrested for homicide...yet. Not sure what would happen if I came across a particular variety of abusive asshole, though.

Sorry for being so serious.

Got a whole 2 extra hours of sleep last night, am starting to feel more positive again. :cool:

Forgot that not all parts of the games that I beta test are nsfw (I wonder how that slipped my mind ;)), so here's a screenshot of me messing about with console commands in a game called House Party by Eek Games.

3.png

I'm also thinking about having a go at programming in Pascal again because I remember enjoying doing so when I was in college.

thanks for the warning. i thought the movie might be easier to get through than the book, but eh. guess i'll watch the second pacific rim movie instead (huge mechas, yay!) :>

The book (RPO) isn't so bad, really.
really? i remember it as some kind of cringy self-insert fan fiction mess. maybe that's just in the beginning though; i couldn't read the whole thing :/

I didn't read the book, and actually I never heard about it until the movie was out... anyway I just see a lot of bad reviews to the movie that come mostly from the readers of the book.

"Tron" is a really stupid movie, especially if you know how computer things works, it can be criticized for years... but it has something that makes it unique, its design/art and all the vision of that digital world... in some way it can be compared to the "Neverending story" (my unbeatable preferred movie), or Labyrinth (even if I hate so much when they sing !!)... worlds absolutely new that makes you dream about... that makes you want to forget for a moment how real things work just to appreciate the alternate reality you are immersing in...

"Ready Player One" instead introduces nothing... everything it's already there and already seen, special effects and 3D graphic, even the hardware they use in the movie, damn, it's the future, at least think about some strange device like they always did in the referenced old movies !!... the only "new thing" is a virtual world that's just a "second-life VR" modded with all the other games (that you have already seen...), so the only thing that can make something like this memorable is the story... but... it sucks o_O

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back