Can I Trust Them?

Tiffany

Still Fresh
My son likes playing games very much, his birthday is around the corner, I want to buy him a MP5 Player/ Game Console as his birthday present, I think he must like it. But on the other side, I did never play those devices or players before, so I don't know if it is good or not, so I am here and looking for some suggestions. Could you help me please? I just found 2 options on the Internet, http://www.tinydeal.com/2gb-sideslide-game-console-px5c6x-g8082g05-p-2934.html and http://www.tinydeal.com/mp5-player-game-console-px5c6x-dpsp2g07-p-2391.html , what do you think about that? Which one is better? Can I trust them? I need some professional suggestions, thank you in advance.

Honestly if you want to buy your son a MP5 Player/Game Console, you should consider buying a Dingoo A320.
It's one of these cheap chinese consoles, however the quality is a little better and there is a huge homebrew support, especially with linux port to that device.

You can buy it for $70-80, depending on the shop. Here they're for $80: http://dingoo-digital-usa.com/category.sc;jsessionid=76806AFD6536951614A7E5A09CB2FACE.qscstrfrnt05?categoryId=5

The list of games/emulators on this device is impressive:
http://dingoowiki.com/index.php/Dingux:Emulators
http://dingoowiki.com/index.php/Dingux:Games

..and there's a community willing to help you with any problems you or your son happen to have with it.

As for the devices you listed in your post, I never had them, but I heard the emulators suffer from terrible button mapping and there isn't much homebrew so you have to stick to that few games/emus that come preinstalled.

How old is your son? Would he be able to cope with downloading games/roms and uploading them to the console? All of these Chinese PMP consoles seem to require some level of tinkering to get it to do what you want - even getting your PC to recognise them can be a trial.

john

Get him a DS and a flashcart. Then you can download new games onto it at your leisure.

I dunno about the part about downloading games at his leisure, but yeah if he doesn't have one get him a DS. If I were a kid and I got something that looked just like a PSP Go but wasn't a PSP Go at all I'd be pretty happy. Chances are good that he's not going to be nearly as much into playing > 15 year old games as we are.

Exophase said:
I dunno about the part about downloading games at his leisure, but yeah if he doesn't have one get him a DS. If I were a kid and I got something that looked just like a PSP Go but wasn't a PSP Go at all I'd be pretty happy. Chances are good that he's not going to be nearly as much into playing > 15 year old games as we are.

I was of course referring to homebrew ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
johncross85 said:
How old is your son? Would he be able to cope with downloading games/roms and uploading them to the console? All of these Chinese PMP consoles seem to require some level of tinkering to get it to do what you want - even getting your PC to recognise them can be a trial.

john

He is 15, he likes games, so I think he is certainly able to cope with downloading and uploading them to the console.

Go with a Wiz, Caanoo, or Dingoo. The communities behind them more than justify the added cost. Those consoles you're looking at are cheap for a reason. If he likes commercial games get a DS Lite or a real PSP (preferably a 1000 or phat as they are called). Both can be made to run emulators and homebrew and have huge communities behind them.

Orion4874 said:
Go with a Wiz, Caanoo, or Dingoo. The communities behind them more than justify the added cost. Those consoles you're looking at are cheap for a reason. If he likes commercial games get a DS Lite or a real PSP (preferably a 1000 or phat as they are called). Both can be made to run emulators and homebrew and have huge communities behind them.
+1

Sound advice.

Yeah I had a GP32 when I was 14 and I could definitely cope with that. I'd say the Caanoo is a good choice. Or maybe a GP2x F-200 as it has tons of content and provides that immediate gratification.

Nova said:
Yeah I had a GP32 when I was 14 and I could definitely cope with that. I'd say the Caanoo is a good choice. Or maybe a GP2x F-200 as it has tons of content and provides that immediate gratification.
They all (gp2x/wiz/caanoo/dingoo) can run the same software with almost the same performance. If it's about the price, I'd suggest a Dingoo, if about durability, Caanoo is the right choice.

zear_ said:
Nova said:
They all (gp2x/wiz/caanoo/dingoo) can run the same software with almost the same performance.

They CAN all run the same software, but it doesn't mean the software is available on that platform. The GP2x has so much more to play than the Wiz or Caanoo because it's been around longer.

Nova said:
They CAN all run the same software, but it doesn't mean the software is available on that platform. The GP2x has so much more to play than the Wiz or Caanoo because it's been around longer.
Can't say about Wiz or Caanoo, but Dingoo (Dingux) has already a huge database of games/emus.

Nova said:
zear_ said:
Nova said:
They all (gp2x/wiz/caanoo/dingoo) can run the same software with almost the same performance.

But don't forget that with Ginge, though, they (well, I don't know if there's a caanoo version yet) can play GP2X games.

They all (gp2x/wiz/caanoo/dingoo) can run the same software with almost the same performance. If it's about the price, I'd suggest a Dingoo, if about durability, Caanoo is the right choice.

Very useful advice. ;)

Tiffany said:
Emm```So, which one is the best choice? :(
gp2x?wiz?caanoo?dingoo? Ginge?
Ginge is a program, not a console. But for the money and everything it can do I'd get him a Dingoo. Now you just have to decide between an A320 or an A330. If you decide on this one check out Dingoonity.org. They'll answer anything you need to know. I have an A320 and can vouch for it, and from what I've read it is still the preferred model as the A330 has had some issues.

I think your son will be happiest with a Dingoo. It's very small, sleek and has great controls and battery life. (The same can be probably be said for the Wiz, but the Wiz is out of production now and the Dingoo is cheaper anyway).

The Caanoo is the newest and by all reports the best quality, but it's going to be a while before the software library takes off.

Orion4874 said:
Tiffany said:
Emm```So, which one is the best choice? :(
gp2x?wiz?caanoo?dingoo? Ginge?
Ginge is a program, not a console. But for the money and everything it can do I'd get him a Dingoo. Now you just have to decide between an A320 or an A330. If you decide on this one check out Dingoonity.org. They'll answer anything you need to know. I have an A320 and can vouch for it, and from what I've read it is still the preferred model as the A330 has had some issues.

Do you mean this? But I cannot find its price...
http://www.dingoo.cn/en_product.asp?id=4&classid=
To my surprised, I also find the same one here http://www.tinydeal.com/4gb-28-wqvga-3d-game-console-mp5-player-px5pnh-g320gc02-p-2908.html
They look the same...

Back