The Appstore Exists Better Now

I highly suggest some work on the fonts. Use a lighter one for the descriptions and reduce the huuuge line-height there. Of course there are some margin/padding issues too and the game list really needs some clear layout.

Also I'd make the date 12/02/10 so the format does not change on months with a 1x. Why is the date being shown on the listing anyways? A sort by date should be there anyways. Date would rather be something for the details page in my opinion.

I would also switch the navigation elements. Put the categories on top and the genres on the side. There will be more genres than categories so you want a list.

If you are up for it, share the source (of that screenshot page) and I'll give it a try (in exchange for one free game once it's all running ;) ).

Kaze0110 said:
It's a bit late to be bringing this up, but... why not just use oscommerce?
Its the website we (read: I) use at work in order to handle e-commerce transactions. Its a simple but very modular code that just requires basic php and mysql, point being it already out of the box supports account creation, multiple administrators (people who would load their programs) and the checkout procedure would be able to be modified so that no credit card transaction would be necessary, it would just bypass it with a few lines of code.

If it's web based, then that project should just take a handful of hours to re-write the code to fit the specs you're looking for.

And on that note: developers who wished to charge for their programs would still be able to upload them pending administrator approval, and end users could still purchase software through the same scrips. I just don't know how you'd go about compensating the developers for the transaction is all.

I'd of mentioned all this sooner had I known it was a site, I figured it was a program that would just read .xml files online, or something.

at this stage its easier to continue with the custom script rather than to modify oscommerce, theres so much bulk we would have to cut down and modify that it would just be too annoying and would prolly take too long to load
we wanted zippy downloads so far so good. purchasing is a feature likely to be added later, as i doubt the demand from the developers are there yet.

craig mentioned removing the store from the name so OpenPandoraApps might be the change if needs be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Laurencevde said:
I doubt OOo would be included by default. That'll instantly fill up the NAND, or a smaller flashcard. And it's one of the most annoying things to get compiled... Guess we'll have to make do with abiword...
How about the humble SIAG Office? (http://siag.nu/)

It's not exactly brimming with features, but IMHO it fits the bill nicely for something like our Pandas. Also, rather light in the byte-munching department.

Trevsweb has done an amazing job working on the look, it's one of the most fun projects I've ever worked on because of his enthusiasm for it.

We are really hoping you love it. The whole thing is built from the ground up with 100% new code and ideas, we didn't try to copy or being inspired by anything else - we just tried to make the most simple and easy to use file server ever.

Trevsweb said:
jb0yx said:
Fishbong said:
I say, the appstore should be named appbox. Or appchest.
This is now an appstore name suggestion thread!
how about Craig's apphole?

haha thats an awesome name

think we need to stay away from vague names, it has to be a bit more straight-forward and just says what it does on the tin. nothing pretentious just download centre or pnd vault or pnd store
ROFL

Kaze0110 said:
Its the website we (read: I) use at work in order to handle e-commerce transactions. Its a simple but very modular code that just requires basic php and mysql, point being it already out of the box supports account creation, multiple administrators (people who would load their programs) and the checkout procedure would be able to be modified so that no credit card transaction would be necessary, it would just bypass it with a few lines of code.

If it's web based, then that project should just take a handful of hours to re-write the code to fit the specs you're looking for.

And on that note: developers who wished to charge for their programs would still be able to upload them pending administrator approval, and end users could still purchase software through the same scrips. I just don't know how you'd go about compensating the developers for the transaction is all.

I'd of mentioned all this sooner had I known it was a site, I figured it was a program that would just read .xml files online, or something.

I think programmers rather program from scratch instead of learning another api.

kin said:
Kaze0110 said:

I think programmers rather program from scratch instead of learning another api.
I would agree, I just didn't know that they weren't planning to incorporate credit transactions into it just yet either, but since that's the case, yea, it would be a load more work to re-structure than to just keep it going. Writing modules for credit card processors for me at least was a nightmare to get correctly, and would of wished someone had told me there was a simpler way.

Way to go though, it looks stable. What code is it written on?

Back