Fake Open Pandora

If he used his real name, address, and phone number, it's not difficult to find more details about a person. It wouldn't be difficult to identify where he lives, or use his information somewhere else, etc. If the scammer has/had criminal connections, he could also arrange 'other' things with that information. Look how easily the detectives at SomethingAwful found stuff out. :D

(edit) Not to mention how easy it is to find stuff online these days. There was a car parked in front of my house one day, and it was covered with garbage, presumably a prank by his friends. I checked later and he had left all that garbage on my front yard. I easily found his name, where he hung out, names of people he was friends with and hung out with, parking and moving violations on his vehicle, and so on, and I got all that from just knowing his license plate, and in the span of about 30 minutes. Had I spent more time on it, I probably could have found his email address, phone number, home address, names of relatives, etc. It probably wouldn't be difficult from there to get more information thru other (probably illegal) methods.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would point out that legend has it that Jeff was never heard from again (!) after the whole thing was finished.

Of course, if this person is telling the truth, he seems to be fine.

I had to do a little research into the matter myself after that last page and found that twitter feed, but not much else. I just noticed a tweet there that says the scammer just stopped communicating afterward, then he let his domains expire and his 15 minutes of fame died.

Back