Appstore.. Really?

mindlord

Notices Two Things
Website
Visit site
The word Appstore keeps getting used to reference the Pandora's software marketplace website. I think this word is misleading, and wholly inadequate. It also has a connection to Apple.

It's misleading because it implies that all the software will be for sale, and not free. When the reality will be that most of the software will be free and only some will be for sale.

Because of this distinction between the Pandora software marketplace and the concept of an Appstore, I think it is an inadequate description. The App prefix isn't really in the spirit of a handheld gaming device either.

Can we please brainstorm some better words to describe this aspect of the Pandora? Appstore really bugs me, and seems to be confusing to some people. I'm not talking about a name for the website, like "The Box" or "Papp-o-rama" but something we can use in place of Appstore in conversation. Obviously it has to be easy to type or it won't get adopted by the masses.

Just to throw some things out at random... some are surely idiotic, but may spark better ideas.
SoftSpace, Progroom, PNDzaar, Warehouse, SoftHorde, Stockpile.

Marketplace sounds like Android. I don't really care what it's called, as long as the name implies its function at least a little bit.

Edit:
IIRC it's planned to add a GP2X/WIZ section, so the name shouldn't be too Pandora-ish, imo.

Alas, something along the lines of "download centre" is probably too long-winded... Nothing else even close to being descriptive enough is coming to my mind at this point, though. :p

PNDzaar
static.gif

or PNDplace PNDspot PNDarket PNDHQ

handheldheaven or HHH ;)

Why not just call it PND. It could stand for Pandora Native Downloads! or PNDS which could be Pandora Native Downloads and Store.

mali said:
IIRC it's planned to add a GP2X/WIZ section, so the name shouldn't be too Pandora-ish, imo.

I didn't know this. Well then something like OpenMarket seems appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:
john4p said:
"The Box" is a great idea.
If it is called that, I will make an app and call it "dick". And there will be some kind of joke about "Dick in a Box"
Yeah, I'm not funny.

The Warehouse? The Flea-market? The Bake-sale? The Bait-shop? The Corner-store? The Community-square? The Imaginarium? The Emporium? The Qubesicle?

I kinda like Bake-sale. Edit @skeezix: Already had Warehouse.

mindlord said:
I think this word is misleading, and wholly inadequate. It also has a connection to Apple.

It's misleading because it implies that all the software will be for sale, and not free. When the reality will be that most of the software will be free and only some will be for sale.
Completely agreed. I hate the word 'AppStore' for the same reasons.
'The Box' is still the best option IMO.

I do agree with this.

The Box is nice. ( or other variants like: BoxMarket, inside the box, AppBox or any reference to the mythology would be cool too. )

Papp-o-rama sounds a little scary though... Ain't the Papp(?) test some kind of vaginal butchery you can get at a gynecologyst?

Pand-O-Rama sounds sweet.

Pand-Boy 2000? ... maybe not. Could make a sweet theme/OS though. 8)

mali said:
Edit:
Oh ignore my post I made earler as I missed this comment.

Back