Tests, tests, and more tests.

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Sep 15, 2018.

1. vcoleiro1

vcoleiro1 Hardcore Member

Well although the freezing issue is annoying, it's great to see the community coming together and helping with ideas.

Djhg2000, jeeks, rSl and 6 others like this.
  2. Swordfish II

Swordfish II Very Active Member

Certainly sounds like a powersave issue. Modules/hardware loaded and trying to work without enough power freezes. Disabling the modules saves some power, but eventually some process needs more power then it gets and freeze.

error likes this.
  3. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

So, you're saying instead of a powersave issue it's more of a back-to-full-throttle issue?

4. Xcl4m4t10n

Xcl4m4t10n Very Active Member

So Pyra is now vaporware?

5. Silent-Hunter

Silent-Hunter Advanced Member

Who said that?

6. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

You mentioned on the mailing list that the SoC gets quite hot while it's frozen, so it's almost certainly in a tight loop going round and round and doing nothing while stopping the SoC powering down at all. I don't think it's getting stuck in a low power mode, or receiving a dodgy clock that's stopped the pipelines triggering or anything like that, but it could still be preparing to powersave when it hits this loop.

Actually, I don't know if a loop tight enough to fit in the top level cache will be sufficient to make the unit settle on a warm enough equilibrium to feel positively hot. So it might need to be a slightly larger loop that causes cache flushes, or gets some power hungry component within the SoC into some indeterminate state that churns current.

Djhg2000, rSl and Swordfish II like this.
  7. ClockworkCoder

ClockworkCoder Chaotic Neutral

Took me a couple of reads before I made sense of that! :p

I wish I had more to offer in terms of useful input. I'm really impressed how hard people are working to resolve this. Times like this show how fantastic the community is here.

8. PowerGod

PowerGod Advanced Member

Because it's like an endless stream of news !! And we can quench our thirst with it !! (...sorry, but I can only contribute with some spam :( )

bennr01 and Swordfish II like this.
  9. Silent-Hunter

Silent-Hunter Advanced Member

I wish I could help too, but I only know a small amount of C and Fortran, I'm no kernel developer.

levi likes this.
  10. Wally

Wally TrashyMG's worst nightmare Staff Member

Have you tried plugging it out/in again?

ò.Ó, FBnil, Djhg2000 and 6 others like this.
  11. error

error Very Active Member

Once I called my ISP because my Internet connection was down. They asked me to reboot my computer. I politely informed them that none of my computers were turned on. They advised me to please power on a computer, so that I could reboot it.

Drezrek, bzar, Djhg2000 and 12 others like this.
  12. Coupo

Coupo Still Fresh

I like this typo :)

Djhg2000, Djoga'Ro and ò.Ó like this.
  13. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

How do power state changes work, anyway? Does the software issue a special instruction or write some specific value to a particular register and the SoC does the rest? Or does the software have to handle some management around it, too?

Djhg2000 and bennr01 like this.
  14. AndiTheBest

AndiTheBest Active Member

How do you check the kernel log when its freezing? Look at the logfiles, or is a serial port connected? A serial log may put out more infos before freeze than writing a logfile.

15. bukkit

bukkit Member

That's sad, but it doesn't make your planned test (loading drivers, trying for 15 minutes) useless. You could still fence in one issue wit that method and reduce the problem's overall complexity.

16. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

@AndiTheBest Serial console out over the microUSB2 charging/debug port, I think I've read.

As far as I can tell, it's largely implementation dependent. The ARM core spec doesn't provide any commands to suspend anything or change the clock speed, but I guess TI have either implemented coprocessor instructions or a special location on the memory map that allows software to control this stuff. It's not like the i686 world where different suspend modes are implemented in the silicon, so you likely at least need to slow the clock, and bring various subsystems down from live. How much of that is implemented yet remains to be seen though; I remember Notaz got some extra hours of idle out from the Pandora by stopping powering the system's 5V rail (for USB power out mostly). As far as I remember during the OMAP3 days with the Pandora we got the dynamic clock through the ondemand governor, and everything else was coded by Notaz though, and it seems like linux these days is slightly more advanced at scaling things back when running on ARM boards out of the box.

Djoga'Ro likes this.
  17. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

...and it could be Tony found the reason. At least it seems to be working fine with his unit now - I'm waiting for Nikolaus to compile me the updated version so I can test it on my unit.

error, jeeks, ò.Ó and 17 others like this.
  18. zedr0k

zedr0k Still Fresh

...keep my fingers crossed... great news

Gesendet von meinem Aquaris M5 mit Tapatalk

19. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

And thus was the great crossing of fingers and the repeated pressing of F5 with pinkies such that fingers need not be uncrossed...

erico, rSl, spud42 and 2 others like this.
  20. BeMoreViking

BeMoreViking Still Fresh

Not sure I understand the post on the mailing list. Anybody know what "DLL timing" is, or what "disable internal DLL trick" means?