SuperZaxxon v1.72-RC

I'm a bit new to superzaxxon updates.  Should I install the RC, or should I wait for the final for an easier time? 

-Glyph Reader
I usually just get it if there aren't any major issues reported right away.  If there are problems, another update will probably be released.  If you are one of those "play it safe" types, wait.  I haven't seen any changes that affect my use since I updated, however I am considering reflashing to get those benefits.

So, I installed the new version and suddenly, wonders happend: I have propper WiFi! :D   FINALY after all these years my CC Pandora has more than a few kb/s download speed, actually I have full bandwich of my humble 2K DSL. ^^

So it was in fact a software issue and not faulty Hardware (antena) or a general router incompatibility. Still mysterious because other CC users never had these issues with the old Firmwares (some had though).  No clue what notaz ther did in detail but it was the fix for my WiFi suffering so many thanks again. :)

I need definately test it...but before have some projects to test.

I think i will reflash my Pandora.

Thanks notaz!!

So, the Update is done on my CC Pandora via Update OS: there is now 64 mb free on my Nand, i dotnt know how many i had bevore, but i dosnt think i will need this much space on nand until i get the Pyra..

I also have ~70MB left on NAND, did the update, not the full reflash. But again, WiFi is great now so everything is fine. My Pandora has increased in value suddenly. :D

Hmm. I did the update via System Update, and now my Pandora key doesn't work anymore, instead it just kills Conky. I'm using the OpenBox WM. Going to try a fullflash and see what that does.

So, the Update is done on my CC Pandora via Update OS: there is now 64 mb free on my Nand, i dotnt know how many i had bevore, but i dosnt think i will need this much space on nand until i get the Pyra..
I also have ~70MB left on NAND, did the update, not the full reflash. But again, WiFi is great now so everything is fine. My Pandora has increased in value suddenly. :D
Those of you doing OS update can run "sudo opkg remove samba" to remove it without full reflash (that's the part that doesn't work automatically for some reason).

Still I would recommend reflash to get the NAND tweaks.

So, I installed the new version and suddenly, wonders happend: I have propper WiFi! :D FINALY after all these years my CC Pandora has more than a few kb/s download speed, actually I have full bandwich of my humble 2K DSL. ^^
I guess you mean 2Mbit DSL? Anyway glad to see it helps some CC units instead of making matters worse like a few CC users reported.

Hmm. I did the update via System Update, and now my Pandora key doesn't work anymore, instead it just kills Conky. I'm using the OpenBox WM. Going to try a fullflash and see what that does.
From what I've read Openbox install overwrites some system scripts. When you do OS upgrade, newer versions of default scripts are installed so openbox change gets reverted. You need to reinstall openbox I guess.

It could be fixed by openbox just creating op_menu_custom.sh instead of overwriting system scripts, but freamon doesn't seem to be active any more.

Those of you doing OS update can run "sudo opkg remove samba" to remove it without full reflash (that's the part that doesn't work automatically for some reason).

Thanks for the tip, I will try this command even if the Linux terminal still scares me alot. ^^" I would do a full reflash but I'm to lazy to setup the system back where I have it now. :D
I guess you mean 2Mbit DSL? Anyway glad to see it helps some CC units instead of making matters worse like a few CC users reported.
Yes, 2MBit DSL, max 256kb/s download and sometimes I even have the full bandwich from the german Telekom.Strange that Pandoras react that different to OS Updates and improvements, I have a later CC model (not the very first ones) but why do so many Pandoras have so much different WiFi performances and behaviour?

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I installed the new version and suddenly, wonders happend: I have propper WiFi! :D   FINALY after all these years my CC Pandora has more than a few kb/s download speed, actually I have full bandwich of my humble 2K DSL. ^^

So it was in fact a software issue and not faulty Hardware (antena) or a general router incompatibility. Still mysterious because other CC users never had these issues with the old Firmwares (some had though).  No clue what notaz ther did in detail but it was the fix for my WiFi suffering so many thanks again. :)
I had some minor issues with mine being too slow for me, and starting and stopping.  Most times it was dial-up speeds, with occasional periods that were more sensible.  Some things got a little better in recent updates, but I still usually turn to my USB wifi thing when doing heavy downloads.  For browsing I usually stick to the internal wifi.  I didn't think to compare before and after the update, but it still works fine at the extreme edge of my network.

Thanks for the tip, I will try this command even if the Linux terminal still scares me alot.
GUIs scare me because a user who doesn't know what they are doing may feel like they know everything (there is a lot of this), and even if they don't they can still cause tons of problems.  This was more a problem with Windows than *nix in my experience.  A GUI is still better for many things.

Full flash and reinstall of OpenBox fixed it. I believe Notaz recommended a full flash anyway, so... win!

GUIs scare me because a user who doesn't know what they are doing may feel like they know everything (there is a lot of this), and even if they don't they can still cause tons of problems.  This was more a problem with Windows than *nix in my experience.  A GUI is still better for many things.
Then you should avoid Windows 8 completely. :D Me as Windows (not 8!) user even scares this GUI that doesn't let you look "behind". Even under Windows I want to know what's going on, at least you have a propper control center and system administration in the Professional Win Versions to tune and tweak. ^^
And I use the terminal on my Pandora, at least when I'm sure that I can use a command safely.

Then you should avoid Windows 8 completely. :D Me as Windows (not 8!) user even scares this GUI that doesn't let you look "behind". Even under Windows I want to know what's going on, at least you have a propper control center and system administration in the Professional Win Versions to tune and tweak. ^^

And I use the terminal on my Pandora, at least when I'm sure that I can use a command safely.
I haven't used Windows 8 other than poking around at stores.  I recall being somewhat unhappy with the direction they were trying to take the PC market, but in the end it doesn't matter since I rarely use Windows for personal stuff.  I thought I heard that one of the later versions (not sure if it was 8.1 or 10) went for a more traditional desktop feel, and less of the tablet/smartphone touch optimized stuff.

Now if they did LCARS...

Don't be scared of the terminal, that is how you learn.  I am sure many of us here learned about computers while staring at a command prompt.

Don't be scared of the terminal, that is how you learn.  I am sure many of us here learned about computers while staring at a command prompt.
I had my very first DOS PC back in 1994 and since that minute I hated command prompts, I just don't have any talent for text-based command stuff that's why I can't code at all even after 2 Years IT education and various lessons in programing languages. :( I need visuals, then I can become creative. I like to draw and paint since I was a little child. Talents differ so I have no problem with that. ^^"

What little programming skills I once had have withered to nearly nothing now.  I don't really think that working with a command line and programming are related in most cases beyond that you are working with a computer.  I know programmers that are terrified of a Linux box with no GUI, and I know many people that regularly work with a CLI (networking, sysadmin stuff, etc) that have essentially no real programming skills.

I think it is a good idea for everyone to learn some basic command line skills.  You aren't as likely to mess everything up as you probably think you are, and there are resources you can use to help you (sometimes already on the computer).

I did a full flash and it worked fine, except one little thing. The directory /mnt/utmp has the permissions rwxr-x--- (0750), so I couldn't mount/execute and pnd scripts/files. I fixed the permissions to rwxr-xr-x (755) and it worked. Maybe it could be a problem because I use a different user id. Not 1000 but 1001.

I did a full flash and it worked fine, except one little thing. The directory /mnt/utmp has the permissions rwxr-x--- (0750), so I couldn't mount/execute and pnd scripts/files.
Hmm it's 755 here and owned by root, so it's nothing specific for uid 1000 and if it was like you say, PNDs wouldn't work for anyone. Maybe you did something special before running your first PND?

am I the only one using the samba server on the Pandora to share the file with my windows PC?
No, I use it all the time. Shame that if I reflash I'll have to remember to reinstall it, but I've not needed to flash for a while, so not really a problem.
I really would like to be able to access my Windows shares from the Pandy too... but I remember having a thread on this ages ago, some issues with HomeShare or something, I can't remember now; but that's not a massive thing either

Last edited by a moderator:
WTF, today my Pandora WiFi was worse than before, huh? How?!?!? It worked finaly well and now it's magicaly back to bad without changing anything? This really sucks. I didn't changed anything since yesterday, nothing. Even the same WiFi channel is used. :(  I had short spikes over 200kb/s but download with PND manager is onla ~60kb/s average, same for web browsing. This doesn't make any sense. :-||"

Back