SuperZaxxon v1.52 released!

From amount thread on this forum I learned there was another minor update to Super zaxxon, version 1.53. Anyone know what was updated on this version? (I downloaded it through the updater PND)

I'm fairly sure there hasn't been an actual release since 1.52. 

That being said, keeping up to date using the Upgrade Pandora OS tool on the Pandora's System menu means you get access to all the little fixes that have been added to the firmware since then.  It's somewhat like running nightly builds, except that fixes aren't pushed nearly that frequently. ;)

- Neelix

*does some digging in the bug tracker*

So far the upgrades include:

Thunar updated - several issues fixed

Mousepad updated - now possible to do multiple searches

pppd updated - should now reconnect if configured to do so

bluetooth scripts updated - bluetooth should now be more reliable.

mkdosfs updated - can now format SD cards larger than 2GB to FAT32

Keep in mind this isn't an official changelog,  just what stands out to me.

If you've installed the codec pack the upgrade tool also seems to upgrade the codec packages to the most recent versions available.

- Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
You're welcome. :)

Previous post updated. I forgot about mkdosfs because it was never listed in the bug tracker, but I think its a fairly important change.

- Neelix

When was the last time you ran the upgrade tool?  

I think the version bump is something pretty recent.   I've been running the upgrade tool fairly regularly.  Before yesterday, I'm pretty sure my splash screen showed 1.52.  Yesterday I happened to reflash to  the base 1.52 image, then ran the upgrade tool again and now it says 1.53. 

- Neelix

Thats odd... Perhaps someone who's actually been working on it would be able to clear up when it changed and why its only appearing for some of us.

- Neelix

Just ran it now...

still says 1.52..
I don't know if it's the case, but I had two "pandora upgrade apps" in my System menu, one referenced as "SuperZaxxon updater" (or something similar, I don't have my Panda with me), and the other called "Pandora OS updater" (or something similar)

The one that's working is the second one. (While the first one seems to download some older files)

That makes sense.  The first one would be the SuperZaxxon 1.52 PND updater.  meant to upgrade to 1.52 from an earlier version. It installs the 1.52 files from within the PND. I never used this so it didn't occur to me that there would be any confusion, if this PND was still installed.

- Neelix

Well I may have hosed myself here.  I was JUST about to pack up and mail my classic Pandora in for a 1Ghz upgrade but I decided to flash to this latest firmware before sending her in just in case I saved Craig/ED time by having it this old board up to date.  I'm no technical expert here, but I suspect that something went horribly awry: 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ysitluOjmqs?feature=oembed

Does anyone have any idea if/what I can do here?  The old girl recycles faster than I can boot from the old kernel, or upgrade to this new firmware over again...

Try a battery pull and then let it sit for a minute.  Also make sure your SD card is inserted correctly and the proper files are on the SD card for updating the Panda.  Then just follow instructions.

I worked on that for a while.  Long story short I did eventually get through the flashing process, though I saw screens like this:

http://www.wagnerdery.com/SawThisLots.jpg

And this guy pops up very quickly during boots:

http://www.wagnerdery.com/IDunnoIfThatMatters.jpg

In general though it seems kind of bleak to me.  If the Pandora hasn't been touched in a while it gives me a solid 4-5 minutes before it starts misbehaving, so I'm hopeful that this is heat related or similar, but my hopes aren't high.

Each of it's reboots looks alot like the one here at second ~52:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/VOCzwoct7HE?feature=oembed

I'm beginning to think that the flashing just exacerbated an existing issue?  Is there something I can do here?

just ran the "os updater" myself for the first time

got a werid looking login screen and and similar to the above videos

EDIT: after a blank grey screen that did absolutely nothing even after a restart, hit Fn + Q and was able to at least get to a point where

I could at least use it again but it does this on every boot, but it does show 1.53 on splash screen

What do you guys suggest reflash 1.52 and run the OS updater agian?

I'm running all the latest updates without any issues (other than the loss of the normal login screen which notaz was able to provide a fix for.) 

Running  the upgrade from a fresh install of SZ 1.52 might be worth trying to ensure the issue isn't due to a clash with some any other other customisation you may have applied.

- Neelix

My install was a full reflash :/  I'm hopeful that someone can think of something to try.  Or maybe there's a repair I can purchase?

When i mess up with my cpu settings and crash the unit, it leads to an empty /etc/pandora/cpu.conf, and i have to fill it myself with a text editor.

The typical case is on my 600 CC unit. I set the MHz limit to 930, then the default to 930, but i forgot that i let the OPP to 3 ... :/

In case of a bad shutdown, maybe also check if this file is empty, or as default, recreate a new one ?

That file shouldn't be empty, unless you have a freeze or hard reset shortly after changing the default speed or OPP level.

Back