Release SuperZaxxon Final released!

Beta 5a was supposed to be the RC (it even was stated in the beta thread).

Reporting now that you have issues which also were there in Beta5a kinda misses the whole point of having a beta out for two weeks and asking to report any issues you find.

I just tried the pressing the menu button on my Pandora (SuperZaxxon Final), and it works as it should:

One click opens the menu. No double-click issue here.

I'll check that with a couple of other units I have at home on Sunday.

That's why we can't look into issues if they aren't reported: It works fine on my unit (and I'm pretty sure notaz also tested the touchscreen on his unit), so they work fine here and if no one reports it as an issue, how should we even know there ARE issues?

If you really reported the audio or touchscreen issue when we released Beta5a, please show me where, as I am not aware having read such thing.

Aditionally, can other users who flashed to Final let us know whether the touchscreen works fine for them or not?

Thanks.

How can you release a version named "final", when essential parts are still not working? I mean the microphone and line-in (they work only in older kernel).

There were 5 Betas out there where we called for testing help and reports what is working and what not.

I've not seen a single entry on the Bugtracker saying that microphone and Line-In doesn't work.

I'm following SuperZaxxon development since around beta 2 (didn't have a Pandora yet then) and I have not seen a single post from a Team member that there is a bugtracker and that it is the preferred way of reporting bugs (as compared to posting them in the beta thread).

But I have seen at least three posts on the forums (not sure if any of them was in SZ beta threads though) talking about the microphone problem in the new kernel. I just thought it's a well-known issue.

Also something is wrong with touch screen. When I click on the Pandora button it sometimes works fine, but other times it doesn't work. I can see a blink of the icons on the left side, so I suppose the menu shows and immediately hides back, like it registered two clicks instead of one. (it was the same in beta 5)

Did you file in a bug report? If not, why not?

I can't recall having such issue on my unit, but it could be I'd need to further test it.

No, because I have seen someone else reporting almost identical issue in the SZ beta 3 or 4 thread. Also I thought it's known and being worked on.

I will be happy to report all bugs for your convenience once my bugtracker account is approved.

And can something be done about the menu items requiring two clicks to expand (but not double-click)? It is quite uncomfortable.

That's part of how XFCE4 works. We'll switch to a newer XFCE4 with .next (though I don't know yet how it behaves there), and SuperZaxxon mostly only got a new kernel.

EDIT:

I just tried the pressing the menu button on my Pandora (SuperZaxxon Final), and it works as it should:

One click opens the menu. No double-click issue here.

It doesn't occur all the time for me. Sometimes it works just fine, and sometimes I have to touch 5 or 6 times to show the menu. I have no idea what triggers the bad behaviour.

Last edited by a moderator:
We never had ntpdate included on the firmware.

I also cannot remember that there ever was a "Don't show this again" at the balloons.

Would be very weird, as the OS itself basically hasn't changed since Hotfix 5... from there on, it was just scripts and kernel updates.
Hm, after some tries, the extra balloon tip (bottom right) really vanished, it seems the button has worked. The usual, smaller notification ballon on the top right stays of course (wlan enabling/disabling...)

Oh, is there another built in option to sync the date/time online? I'm not sure if I ever had installed ntpdate, because I don't even know how. :D

Last question, since there is a ugly gap in between my desktop icons (I've deleted the quickstart link), how can I sort the Icons on Desktop? Somehow, the location of the SD icons stays the same,even afer removing, rebooting, new inserting the SDs... and I can't find the usual Icon placement/sorting options in XFCE. ^^"

120630-142929.png

The touchscreen driver has been improved with Beta 5, so any touchscreen related reports before that are outdated anyways.

The Bugtracker always existed and is even linked from the menu in these boards... I even mentioned sometimes in the beta threads that I'm always checking the bugtracker for issues before a release (so I don't have to crawl through 20 pages on the boards).

If the touchscreen sometimes is slow, it sounds like your system is using a lot of CPU.

Can you check with 'top' if there's something that eats CPU when that happens?

If the touchscreen sometimes is slow, it sounds like your system is using a lot of CPU.

This was what happened to me when I tried to install the community codec pack - the net result was that it took just over 20 minutes to install. After install, I noticed that the menu was very slow to open, so I hopped into a terminal and started top - to find that the top item cpu-wise was using 4% occasionally... but the system was still very very slow to respond. I'll see if I can get it to slow down again.

My touchscreen problem has gone away now, but I had to recalibrate three times before it did.

D.

You installed on NAND ? 20 mn seems far too long.

What is your disk usage ? ( df -h)

Some thoughts on the new sexy silver Pandoras after a few days of use.

First very little time for gaming so have not tested much.

Apps like Pandebian are working great. Open Office is so much smoother and snappy. Abiword is snapper and works smoothly.

Network apps are great. Firefox is a bit more smooth and network connection is pretty good. It is interesting that I get a more stable connection at my office as compared with at home.

Still no luck with the wifi nubs. Must get some time to investigate this. On my older panda it worked without issue, but same stick now does nothing.

so far, loving the new OS improvements and memory upgrade. Rocking work.

You installed on NAND ? 20 mn seems far too long.

What is your disk usage ? ( df -h)

Yep, completely fresh new SZfinal install, then the codec pack. The 20 minutes came from the Pandora slowing down massively (think about 10 to 15 seconds for the menu to open after pressing the Pandora button on the desktop). Top showed at max 4% CPU being used with nothing but the desktop running.

D.

It doesn't occur all the time for me. Sometimes it works just fine, and sometimes I have to touch 5 or 6 times to show the menu. I have no idea what triggers the bad behaviour.

I've experienced similar behaviour since waaaaay before Super Zaxxon. For me, it usually follows closing a web browser after being online, so I always assumed it was because there was something happening in the background - if I wait a little, it works as normal.

...Note for users running the OS off SD Card:

The kernel has now moved to /boot/uImage again. If you've been using a previous SuperZaxxon version, be sure to update your boot configuration.
/boot/uImage is a symlink pointing to uImage-2.6.27.57-omapl which looks like the old kernel to me. Should I be using uImage-3 instead?

And what about:

df -h

Code:
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on

ubi0:rootfs             454.4M    320.4M    134.0M  71% /

devtmpfs                117.4M    212.0K    117.2M   0% /dev

none                    117.4M    212.0K    117.2M   0% /dev

/dev/mmcblk1p1           15.1G      9.3G      5.9G  61% /media/SD2

/dev/mmcblk0p1           30.2G     26.9G      3.3G  89% /media/SD1

tmpfs                   117.4M      2.7M    114.7M   2% /var/volatile

tmpfs                   117.4M         0    117.4M   0% /dev/shm

tmpfs                   117.4M         0    117.4M   0% /media/ram

ubi1:boot                 6.8M      4.2M      2.2M  65% /boot

D.

There seem to be more problems with the fi al release, as I just got a comment, that the warlockbar config doesn't work anymore and daphne is slow. Need to see, if that is because of me, but it works with the old kernel, but not with the new.

New bug - and this also didn't happen in beta 5a:

I disabled screen blanking in the startup settings (which takes bloody ages to get through, btw, can we make it optional? Or maybe use the options we chose the last time we installed?) and it's still blanking the screen. And I can't find the option to turn it off now - thought it was in the desktop settings, but I can't see it - anyone know where it is?

D.

There seem to be more problems with the fi al release, as I just got a comment, that the warlockbar config doesn't work anymore and daphne is slow. Need to see, if that is because of me, but it works with the old kernel, but not with the new.

the wbar intermittently started on SZB5a/SZB5 as well. sometimes the task bar without the set programs appears and if you right click then all your configured programs appears. hope your look at wbar can sort this out.

cheers

My red charging light doesn't come on on when I'm charging with this firmware.

I went straight from last hotfix zaxxon to superzaxxon, without trying any of the betas btw.

I just set the CPU to 125MHz and it started to happen, so it's the case. It also happens for the configbutton, but not for anything else on the taskbar.

However I don't understand how having lower CPU resources can make the program register two clicks instead of one.

Should I file a bug report for this?

How can you release a version named "final", when essential parts are still not working? I mean the microphone and line-in (they work only in older kernel).
Works fine here, including for some people in this thread:

http://boards.openpa...apart-audacity/

Hmm, arecord works for me. So over the whole conversation I apologize for the statement that "essential parts are not working" :)

But still something is wrong. Audacity works fine with older kernel, but not with the new one. Is this a problem with Audacity? The sound controls also have differences between kernel versions. Maybe this is related.

Back