Release SuperZaxxon Final released!

Does anyone else get a black screena after quitting a game on SNES9X? It seems that holding the Pandora button can sometimes get you back to Pickle Launcher.

I didn't have this on the previous SuperZaxxon beta.

Should i delete the AppData folder and try again?

Does anyone else get a black screena after quitting a game on SNES9X? It seems that holding the Pandora button can sometimes get you back to Pickle Launcher.

Had this for quite a while. Usually, just waiting for 5 - 10 seconds takes you back to picklelauncher, so it seems something in there takes a lot of time.

Had this for quite a while. Usually, just waiting for 5 - 10 seconds takes you back to picklelauncher, so it seems something in there takes a lot of time.
OK thanks! I didn't remember getting it with the previous SuperZaxxon release, so maybe someone can test that, so we can rule out the OS.

I will switch to the final version soon, but I almost afraid too with everything working great for me in the beta. Still, we must move on....

I don't know if a solution for this has been put forth, but I'm having a real headache with my Pandora hanging all the time since flashing Super Zaxxon Final.

How many other people are experiencing this?

I thought I had disabled screen-blanking but do I have to do that every time I restart?

I also thought that it could be how SZF reacts to leaving your Pandora alone while it's overclocked... But that isn't it.

Twice I've had my Pandora clocked *only* at 500mhz and it still freezes.

The last time - about an hour ago, it was at 500mhz, wifi on, uGet open and a file downloading, swap was enabled too. I left my Pandora for must have been 10min and came back to find everything frozen.

What actually is going on here? Is the Pandora trying to go into low power mode due to lack of input after a certain period? Can I disable this?

I've never had this problem before. Only with SZF... but I never tested the betas, I jumped straight from Hotfix 7 to SZF.

CC 256mb Pandora in case anyone doesn't know.

Just installed the last SZ, and no problems for now, but how can you disable the keyring? It doesn't even asks you if you want to use it !!

Just installed the last SZ, and no problems for now, but how can you disable the keyring? It doesn't even asks you if you want to use it !!
During setup, just let the keyring input field empty and press OK, then the keyring should be disabled. Do not press cancel, lead to strange things when I did this, maybe it's fixed but just to be sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last time - about an hour ago, it was at 500mhz, wifi on, uGet open and a file downloading, swap was enabled too. I left my Pandora for must have been 10min and came back to find everything frozen.
But the screen still on?

What actually is going on here? Is the Pandora trying to go into low power mode due to lack of input after a certain period? Can I disable this?
I wish I knew, this affects maybe 5% of users and never happens for me or ED (we both keep our pandoras on when not using), so I don't know where to even look. Could you start a terminal, type "sudo chvt 1" there, which will switch to tty1, and leave it there for 10 minutes? If it hangs, chances are it will manage to print some errors before crashing, which would help tremendously. You can get back from there by pressing alt+dpad right.

But yeah, reports say that disabling screen blanking helps (what almost everyone affected does instead of trying to help to debug this :( ).

Yeah it affects me too, and I did the screen blanking issue. I want to help debug this.. So I'll undo the screen blanking and try what you said Notaz..

During setup, just let the keyring input field empty and press OK, then the keyring should be disabled. Do not press cancel, lead to strange things when I did this, maybe it's fixed but just to be sure.

oh, resolved thanks, I was pressing "cancel" but after confirming the blank password it asked to use unsafe storage

Hi Notaz.

Yep, screen still on.

I've just enabled WiFi, swap, and opened up Firefox and an ebook reader in order to simulate typical circumstances... at 500mhz.

I then did as you suggested and am now waiting to see what happens.

Am I supposed to log in? I've never seen this before - what is tty1?

Are my applications still running in the background with WiFi on?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

But yeah, reports say that disabling screen blanking helps (what almost everyone affected does instead of trying to help to debug this :( ).

I just wish I could disable screen blanking. The LCD settings script doesn't work, issuing "xset s off" (iirc) in a terminal has no effect - the LCD still switches itself off. When it happens in the middle of a movie it's really annoying.

D.

Am I supposed to log in? I've never seen this before - what is tty1?

Are my applications still running in the background with WiFi on?
It's the very first terminal where all system messages go, so just leave it there. Everything keeps running in the background, you can go back with alt+right.

I just wish I could disable screen blanking. The LCD settings script doesn't work, issuing "xset s off" (iirc) in a terminal has no effect - the LCD still switches itself off. When it happens in the middle of a movie it's really annoying.
It should work, maybe you are running this from some startup script where it can't talk to X? If not, try "xset -dpms" maybe.

But the screen still on?

I wish I knew, this affects maybe 5% of users and never happens for me or ED (we both keep our pandoras on when not using), so I don't know where to even look. Could you start a terminal, type "sudo chvt 1" there, which will switch to tty1, and leave it there for 10 minutes? If it hangs, chances are it will manage to print some errors before crashing, which would help tremendously. You can get back from there by pressing alt+dpad right.

well bugga! mine was sitting at this all evening... the screen blanked... everything was normal :( would it be something in the xfce gui? rather than a prompt..?

Ok.

I tried to get it to hang while in that terminal 3 times last night... With no joy. The screen would just blank after about 10min, and when I pressed a button the screen light up again - no error messages. Even if I left it for a looooong time after the screen had blanked. This was with all those things switched on in the background.

This morning I had my Pandora clocked to 650mhz and I had nothing else open except the free e-book reader... I was dealing with a customer, so 10min elapsed and sure enough it had frozen up with the screen still lit.

I then did the test again in the terminal, this time at 650mhz with only the e-book reader open. After about 10min the screen blanked, and it froze! I couldn't get out without a hard reset. So I was of course unable to see any error messages.

Both in the terminal and xfce, the freeze happens when the power light dims - obviously going in to low power mode.

I'm going to see if it hangs at 600Mhz now...

EDIT: in xfce at 650mhz, 600mhz, 500mhz with only free e-book reader open the Pandora freezes at approximately 10min with the screen lit just as the power light dims.

In the terminal, for some reason now it also hangs at all those speeds (i don't know what was going on last night). The difference is that in the terminal the screen blanks as it happens (and the power light goes dim).

Pressing one of the keyboard keys did make the power light return to full brightness, but the system was still frozen - the screen remained blank and nothing could get me out (not even alt+right) except for a hard reset.

Does it freeze without that e-book reader running?

Yes, i repeated all the tests without the e-book reader open with same results... But then I remembered something...

Last night after testing, I had set maximum op to 5 and clocked to 1000mhz to see how warzone 2100 faired.

I had clocked down to default MHz afterwards and switched off my Pandora but I had forgotten to put the op back down to 3.

Soooo.... I've just redone all the tests on op 3 (i'm a dumbass).

In xfce at 650mhz, 600mhz, and 500mhz with nothing open, it froze at 10min with the screen lit.

In the terminal at 500mhz the screen blanked at 10min but pressing a button brought everything back and I could get out with alt+right.

In the terminal at 600mhz the screen blanked at 10min, pressing a button brought the power light back to full brightness but the screen remained blank and I could only get out with a hard reset.

I didn't test 650mhz in the terminal as I didn't see any reason to now.

Edit: while writing this, I had my unit set at 500mhz and this time in xfce the screen actually went blank at 10min and pressing a button brought everything back to life.

Man, is this tedious... Now trying 600mhz again! -.-

Sorry for the double post here... But when I edit a post from within tapatalk I have to manually edit out all the < /br> and my last post has a lot of those.

So now in xfce my screen is blanking again at 10min and NOT freezing even when set to 800mhz. Nothing was open though.

These inconsistent results are really confusing as today's behaviour on op 3 is very different to yesterday's on op 3 except yesterday I had a lot more programs open.

Is there anything else I can test for you?

I'm at the point where I just want to turn off screen blanking and be done... But I'll keep running tests if you need me to help you get to the bottom of this. Just let me know.

If not, then how do I go about making sure screen blanking is permanently disabled? ... Even better: how do I go about making sure it never goes into low power unless I tell it to?

It should work, maybe you are running this from some startup script where it can't talk to X? If not, try "xset -dpms" maybe.

Sorry, this is from a terminal launched in xfce. None of the methods suggested by others seem to work - I'll try your -dpms method tonight and see if that helps.

D.

Is there anything else I can test for you?

I'm at the point where I just want to turn off screen blanking and be done... But I'll keep running tests if you need me to help you get to the bottom of this. Just let me know.
I'm out of ideas at the moment. It's all rather unfortunate as the whole system dies and there is no way to save a log or anything. It would be possible to log it through serial through ext connector, but that needs a special cable or debug board that nobody is making, not even ED himself.

If you can find anything that causes the problem to appear/go away let us know..

If not, then how do I go about making sure screen blanking is permanently disabled? ... Even better: how do I go about making sure it never goes into low power unless I tell it to?
There is an option in LCD settings but I haven't tested that personally (it was added by ED).

Edit: what ebook reader are you using, BTW?

Back