Release SuperZaxxon - Beta 5 released

USB Wifi dosnt seems to work, even if i enable USB Host, i allready looked in the modproble.confic file and there was allready the blacklist whit my wifi dongle, but i ditnt get the usb to work out of the box, do i have to enable something via the terminal to get usb wifi to work?? On Beta 4 usb wifi dit work ..

EDIT: Since i restarts the Pandora, booth, the internal wifi and the wifi stick seems to work whitout Problems,

Could it be, that in the new Firmware i have to enable Wifi and usb Host to get usb wifi???

The New Icon whit the scrips for enable usb host, enable wifi, tv out, clockspeed, is realy nice..

Last edited by a moderator:
Iirc a restart is required, if you use a non usb2.0 device and the usbsystem locks up. Maybe it locked up somehow so you needed to restart. But thats quite old.

Ok, the stick works perfekly, but my internal usb disconekts all few minutes, so maybe the internal wifi chip wasnt the best...

anyway: USB Wifi works now, and i only have to put the dongle out if i wants to use anoter usb device, but maybe i use a hup then..

Mario 64 works great whit the new firmware, only super smash bros dosnt show the eyes of yoshi, mario, link, etc, but maybe a new version of muppen64 wants to fix this bug, but it has nothing to do whit the new firmware...

Just a thing i noticed right now:

When I downloaded something with PndMAnager, it won't show up in the menu directly. This happened two times now.

After a restart it shows up and works though.

I'm having problems actually getting PND Manager to work on this new firmware, it seems to hang while updating the database. I'll delete the appdata files and try again later (was busy playing MAME4ALL!!)

MAME4All working well

Forget Me Not almost seems too fast for me early on, but improved over previous Super Zaxxon Betas, no screen tearing/stutter.

While charging last night, the red charging light stayed on after it was unplugged. Testing this again now.

on the xcfe start menu 'web browser' isn't linked to anything and gives back 'failed to execute default web browser. iput/ output error.'

I had one hang when coming back from suspend mode over night: the console text appeared where all the reactivation times for the hardware/ software moduls were given, ending with 'reactivation successful' or somethignlike that... but it froze in that state (all services are activated on my pandora except for wifi).

I will try some more and report back any problem.

btw: really nice and clean new icons on the task bar, I dig them!

One question though, more about the wifi than anything. It seems to be particularly sloooow... Is there anything that I can do to fix this? Or is it just the wireless adapter that's used in the Panda? It was the same in B4 too.
I don't think anyone is quite sure what's up with the wifi. It works perfectly for some, slow for others, and some just get spotty reception and disconnects.

Some things you can try

1) turn off any security you have. Temporarily, of course, just to start it up and do a bit of surfing, see if it's more responsive. Experiment with different security

2) change channels on your router. Some people have noticed that some channels just don't work very well while others are perfect.

3) Make sure the Pandora is the only thing currently connected to wifi. More than one user has noted that when their laptop was active it would kick the Pandora off the network for some reason. This particular problem can usually be solved by changing the security (see 1)

4) Look for any "advanced" features of the router that might interfere. Things like "turbo" mode could be a problem.

5) Turn power saving feature off. Open a terminal and type "sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off". This will prevent the wifi chip from going idle which means it will use more power but should maintain a stronger connection and could help.

I think this was mentioned ages ago - on the boot screen ( hold down right shoulder ), is it possible to have selection as enter as well as the joystick button?

New ( and existing :p ) users will prob use the arrow keys to select the option ( eg boot from SD ), and then press Enter and think it's broke, before figuring out that a button needs pressed.

Just a small thing, and hopefully easy to fix, to make the upgrading that little more standardised.

One more thing, said Columbo ( while waiting on new beta to run )...

When the updater starts, it gives the option to ALT and Right to see more detailed stats.

On screen 1, when it finishes, you get...

Update Finished

-----------------------------

- press Enter to power off

However, if you have ALT and Right-ed, you just see...

Update Finished

-----------------------------

and pressing Enter doesn't work - you have to ALT and Left to get back to screen one to press Enter.

If a newbie sees the info and goes to the 2nd screen, then the Pandora will just sit there.

Fix: Have Press Enter to power off show on second screen also, and function

Just a thing i noticed right now:

When I downloaded something with PndMAnager, it won't show up in the menu directly. This happened two times now.

Which menu? Xfce's of PNDManager's?

I'm having problems actually getting PND Manager to work on this new firmware, it seems to hang while updating the database. I'll delete the appdata files and try again later (was busy playing MAME4ALL!!)
That's weird. I tested it right after the image hit and it seemed to work. I'll do a more thorough testing when I find time.

Just a small thing, and hopefully easy to fix, to make the upgrading that little more standardised.
It's not, reading a button is just single GPIO register read, reading the keypad needs full blown driver that goes over i2c, which u-boot doesn't offer..

and pressing Enter doesn't work - you have to ALT and Left to get back to screen one to press Enter.

If a newbie sees the info and goes to the 2nd screen, then the Pandora will just sit there.

Fix: Have Press Enter to power off show on second screen also, and function
There is technical reason for this again, it's not possible to read from 2 shells at once from a script (at least I don't know how), would have to spawn separate process or something. If you press alt+left once it's assumed you'll try to press it again.

There are two useless icons on the launcher bar at the bottom - the network icon and some launcher thing

[...]How do I remove them?

This release seems to make a lot of decisions for you; I'd rather make those decisions myself thanks!

Yes, you can. Open the Xfce menu, select "Settings -> Desktop -> Session and Startup". Chose tab "Application Autostart", disable any managers you don't want. (Later on you said you have no icons on the taskbar, so maybe you already found it, but i stepped into this randomly, so this little hint is for all others with the same need.)

I'm a new Pandora/Xfce User and i was happy to have those icons there, it was easy going online for me, i recommend to let them active by default. It's one less problem to newcomers and easy to disable by experienced users.

Cycle the SD card out, wait for all icons got away, reinsert the SD card worked for me in most cases.

on the xcfe start menu 'web browser' isn't linked to anything and gives back 'failed to execute default web browser. iput/ output error.'

As far as i remember that is the default and it's in ZaxxonHF6 the same.

Code:
:~$ uname -a

Linux op7b5 3.2.17 #645 Wed May 23 02:53:04 EEST 2012 armv7l GNU/Linux

:~$ free

total	   used	   free	 shared	buffers	 cached

Mem:		239644	 151036	  88608		  0	  16416	  61016

-/+ buffers/cache:	  73604	 166040

Swap:		59904		  0	  59904

:~$ sudo find / -iname uimage

/usr/lib/opkg/alternatives/uImage

find: File system loop detected; `/media/PANDORAROOT' is part of the same file system loop as `/'.

/media/PANDORABOOT/uImage

/lib/boot/uImage

find: ftsfind.c:477: consider_visiting: Assertion `ent->fts_info == 11 || state.type != 0' failed.

Aborted

Running from SDcard, used SD installer, no swap partition, cp /lib/boot/uImage /media/PANDORABOOT/uImage, reboot from SD. Beta 5 kernel 3.2.17 seems active, but where are the 512MB RAM? Is it due to the new ZRAM?

And find still aborts.

There are two useless icons on the launcher bar at the bottom - the network icon and some launcher thing that lets me turn on wifi (like I'll ever use that!) and CPU speed etc. All the other icons can be removed by right-clicking them except for these two. How do I remove them?

This release seems to make a lot of decisions for you; I'd rather make those decisions myself thanks!

D.

Can these icons all be added to the "Add to Toolbar" widget's-list so they can be deleted or re-added easily?

Back