Release SuperZaxxon - Beta 5 released

Just a thing i noticed right now:

When I downloaded something with PndMAnager, it won't show up in the menu directly. This happened two times now.

After a restart it shows up and works though.
Which menu? Xfce's of PNDManager's?

I'm having problems actually getting PND Manager to work on this new firmware, it seems to hang while updating the database. I'll delete the appdata files and try again later (was busy playing MAME4ALL!!)
That's weird. I tested it right after the image hit and it seemed to work. I'll do a more thorough testing when I find time.

Went home last night, deleted Pndmanager and LIbman appdata files from across my SD cards, then tried the main program again. Thought I was making progress as it seemed to be getting further through the synchronizing process, but it froze and crashed out. I'll have to try on the old kernal after work to see if it works ok there. My unit seems to be one of a few reporting certain error on the new kernal (eg the power saving/nub/sc card slot issue), so maybe it'll only be a select few will see this issue too!

Thanks for scanning /usr/pandora/mmenu again as the thunar icon is now back in mini menu. Is there any idea, why thunar takes so long to exit back to mini menu menu though? I reported this a way back it but since it disappeared for a while never got fixed I guess.

dsleaf67 -- I'll give it a whril later, but .. we don't maintain the code for Thunar, so if it goes off and does crazy stuff, not much we can do without geting 'ugly' :) How long does it take?

jeff

Where did the LCD settings menu go? I want to disable the screen blanking but can't find the option anymore :(

dsleaf67 -- I'll give it a whril later, but .. we don't maintain the code for Thunar, so if it goes off and does crazy stuff, not much we can do without geting 'ugly' :) How long does it take?

jeff

Well thunar it self seems fine (and quicker) when I just open terminal through mini menu then type thunar. When I exit thunar this way then type exit in terminal it seems fine. I checked the pnd its just a script but I have no idea why its slow coming back to min menu. I'going to try another pnd through terminal. I tried once before but no luck (or time) to get it to work. I now use midnight commander anyway, but its still a mystery.

And I, like Gregory House, am obessed with solving puzzles. lol

Edit: sorry forgot to time but I'd say 30 sec anyway, will confirm later.

Last edited by a moderator:
If its a pnd, it needs to be mounted and executed. The mounting will take most of the startuptime.

battery time in the task bar changed from beta 4 to beta 5 for me. before I had like 211h with 84% battery power coming right out of suspend on beta4. with beta5 its showing about 6h with 53% battery right after coming from suspend. being in suspend for 8h my pandi lost about 3% power so power saving seems to do work but is not reflected in the remaining time. also letting my pandi sit on a table doing nothing seems to drastically reducing power consumption but that isn't displayed in 'time-to-go' > 100h as with beta4.

how come?

PS: [forget my PS, my wifes Pandora reacts the exact same way as my Pandora]

on the xcfe start menu 'web browser' isn't linked to anything and gives back 'failed to execute default web browser. iput/ output error.'

As far as i remember that is the default and it's in ZaxxonHF6 the same.

It would be nice to either make this link work or remove it from the start menu. Links that lead to an error message have a negative value on the global funkyness scale :)

same place! Pandora/settings/LCD settings.
Nope, I have Pandora->Settings->Desktop... no LCD settings anywhere.

Are you saying you have a different set of menus?

battery time in the task bar changed from beta 4 to beta 5 for me. before I had like 211h with 84% battery power coming right out of suspend on beta4.
Coincidence, I would suspect. That battery gauge isn't realtime, the taskbar polls the BQ chip every 60 seconds for an update. If it triggers as soon as it comes out of suspend the BQ will still have the extremely low battery usage as part of its averaging scheme so you get long times; if it triggers after almost a minute then it'll have only fresh usage data for its average and will be much lower.

Just a hypothesis though, I don't know how many times you tried going in and out of suspend. If its consistent the same results (ie, different between the two Pandoras) then I'm not sure what to think.

Does charging work in standby now?

Also, I left my Pandora plugged in overnight, starting from about 10-14% power left, powered on, with the lid closed (LCD off). This morning (8 hrs later), the charge LED was off, but it was only showing 89% charged. I understand from previous betas that the LED light has been reported to turn off after a while, but is it still charging when that happens?

I understand from previous betas that the LED light has been reported to turn off after a while, but is it still charging when that happens?
When it happened to me once, it was still charging. You can open a terminal and "cat /sys/class/power_supply/bq27500-0/current_now" and if it is positive it is still charging, or negative for discharging, regardless of what the LED says.

If it has stopped, this can mean that either it stopped charging recently, at around 89% (which it shouldn't have) or that it charged to 100% and stopped charging (as it should have) but then fell to 89% (which it shouldn't, should have restarted at 95%).

Either way, sounds like a bug somewhere. I'll try to reproduce.

same place! Pandora/settings/LCD settings.
Nope, I have Pandora->Settings->Desktop... no LCD settings anywhere.

Did you try rebooting? All my non-Desktop settings disappeared a while back (on HF6 though), and they reappeared after a reboot.

or that it charged to 100% and stopped charging (as it should have) but then fell to 89% (which it shouldn't, should have restarted at 95%).

Really? The point that it resumes was changed from 60 to 95%? When did this happen?

battery time in the task bar changed from beta 4 to beta 5 for me. before I had like 211h with 84% battery power coming right out of suspend on beta4.
Coincidence, I would suspect. That battery gauge isn't realtime, the taskbar polls the BQ chip every 60 seconds for an update. If it triggers as soon as it comes out of suspend the BQ will still have the extremely low battery usage as part of its averaging scheme so you get long times; if it triggers after almost a minute then it'll have only fresh usage data for its average and will be much lower.

Just a hypothesis though, I don't know how many times you tried going in and out of suspend. If its consistent the same results (ie, different between the two Pandoras) then I'm not sure what to think.

I don't think it's due to a coincidence as it happens all the time: if you go into suspend mode, the time-to-go is not updated to an insanely high amount of hours anymore. I think it may not update the gauge in suspend mode at all but only after the OS has been resumed?

As long as you still get the same batterylife and there are realistic batterylifeestimates after resume, I wouldn't care.

Did you try rebooting? All my non-Desktop settings disappeared a while back (on HF6 though), and they reappeared after a reboot.
Ahah, there they are. I didn't reboot, just force a PND rescan. How odd.

Really? The point that it resumes was changed from 60 to 95%? When did this happen?
Hotfix 5 was the first (imperfect) fix. Notax improved it in Hotfix 6.

That's a bug then. It was definitely configured for 95% in HF6, it's in the release notes. Configuration file is "/etc/pandora/conf/eventmap", at the bottom in the "[battery_charge]" section. My first fix used the TWL chip to estimate when it should start and stop charging exclusively. Notaz replaced it with a check on the BQ chip, much more accurate because it uses the exact same value that is displayed in the taskbar to restart the charging. If the taskbar reads less than 95% and it hasn't restarted the charge then there is definitely a problem with the script.

Back