Release SuperZaxxon - Beta 4 released

I got a few "error" and "fail" messages during firmware flash. Is this normal?

@renegadechic: I tried adding this to modprobe.conf, but it did not work. Maybe I have to be more specific, since the firmware file is actually named dvb-usb-dib0700-1.10.fw?

Also, what exactly am I doing here, "blacklist" sounds more like removing it from the list of things to load(?)

EDIT: I am having some weird problems posting from my Pandora: When using quotes the message is not saved, no matter which browser. Then I wrote the above in Midori, but Midori had the lines in opposite order (last line first) ... anybody else having such problems? Will try next post with the old kernel to narrow things down...

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: I am having some weird problems posting from my Pandora: When using quotes the message is not saved, no matter which browser. Then I wrote the above in Midori, but Midori had the lines in opposite order (last line first) ... anybody else having such problems? Will try next post with the old kernel to narrow things down...

Quotes also doesn't work on my Nokia N900 with Opera... I am using Kernel 3.2 with BabyPanda as browser and it works fine :)

Some games, Hexen II for example still seem to not have any D-PAD, start/select X/Y/A/B controls with the new Kernel.. similar to the Input tester program before this hotfix.. Was just the Input Tester application patched or was there some global fix?

I'm drawing a blank on the other game I saw with this issue..

Just flashed beta 4 and can confirm that wifi on startup no longer "disables" shutdown as i described in the beta 3 thread here

I was able to download it and install it. Everything seems to work except for my USB wireless mouse and The Netgear USB WIFI dongal. It is just like they are not even connected. I have the same settings as the Super Zaxxon Beta 1. I did run the Codex PND.

Is there anything else that could be the problem? I did enable the USB Host and the USB Network on startup. I loaded the Super Zaxxon Beta 1 and both USB items worked fine. Any ideas?

Yes, Midori is unusable for posting here now, no clue what's causing this weird twisted posting format, since it worked perfectly in the past. Maybe the last Midori Update is bugy or the Forum itself is not compatible with Midori, whatever. But posting and quoting still works fine in Pandora Firefox. :)

I can get the USB mouse to work, but only if I do not start the USB network on startup. I do have to enable the USB host. Again the mouse works, but it is not as smooth as with Beta 1, but it works. Strange since I can enable both the USB network and USB Host when using Beta 1.

Activating wifi is causing my unit to freeze--any thoughts?

I've noticed the text background color on the desktop icons is now transparent on B4, whereas on B3, there was a solid color, allowing the icon text to be readable against any color backdrop.

There are areas of my backdrop that are white and any icon text that appears over top those areas is not legible.

I've looked around, but could not find a way to configure this through a GUI.

Any ideas?

I can also concur that the new sensitivity level of the touch screen gives the Pandora a new, smoother, snappier feel. Definitely nicer!

I've noticed the text background color on the desktop icons is now transparent on B4, whereas on B3, there was a solid color, allowing the icon text to be readable against any color backdrop.

There are areas of my backdrop that are white and any icon text that appears over top those areas is not legible.

I've looked around, but could not find a way to configure this through a GUI.

Any ideas?

I can also concur that the new sensitivity level of the touch screen gives the Pandora a new, smoother, snappier feel. Definitely nicer!
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53952-guide-changing-the-desktop-icon-text-to-white/

Thats another one where you have to edit the existing .gtkrc-2.0 file.

Find the line:

Code:
XfdesktopIconView::label-alpha = 0

and change 0 to your preferred opacity level. 100 is fully opaque, but I think 75 works well.

- Neelix

Edit: perhaps a Zenity script to adjust the settings in this file would be a good idea for the next firmware release.

Has anyone noticed that video playback is a little slower than previously? My desktop is down for a few days so I decided to watch some videos on my Pandora and I noticed a bit of stuttering. My go-to is always Big Buck Bunny which, as of Hot Fix 6, I used to be able to run the 480p version almost flawlessly at 800Mhz. Now, at the same speed, it is extremely jittery through the entire thing.

Am I crazy? Is there any change in SuperZaxxon that may account for this?

I just tested the video in SuperZaxxonB4 booted to the old 2.6.27 kernel and it's as smooth as butter. Back into 3.2.16 and it is choppier than some analogy that involves chopping a lot of stuff.

Has anyone noticed that video playback is a little slower than previously?

[...]

Am I crazy? Is there any change in SuperZaxxon that may account for this?

I just tested the video in SuperZaxxonB4 booted to the old 2.6.27 kernel and it's as smooth as butter. Back into 3.2.16 and it is choppier than some analogy that involves chopping a lot of stuff.
Well, I just tried an .flv that I know ran fine in SMPlayer2 under Beta3 at probably 700MHz, and I can confirm that it now is now choppy an unwatchable even @950MHz. But for me it is also bad with the old kernel(?)

Which player?

Did you change cpufreq governor maybe?

Also note that it's not enough to just write to /proc/pandora/cpu_mhz_max any more to overclock, you have to run /usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh because cpufreq needs a bit of poking to notice the overclock.

I do all tests with mplayer directly

$ mplayer big_buck_bunny_480p_h264.mov -vo sdl -fs -framedrop

To change the frequency I use the cpu app on the desktop.

I stand slightly corrected though: I wasn't watching long enough in when I ran it on the old kernel. Certain scenes which I'm certain were good on HF6 are noticeably choppy even on the old kernel.

It's possible that I'm succumbing to observation bias though, so I'm going to setup HF6 again and act a little more scientific tonight.

Nevermind, not a problem anymore. It was misbehaving in HF6 as well, the output indicated a lot of errors, so I redownloaded and now it's better again.

I also have the feeze when enabling the wifi. Happened since beta3, I have not tested former versions.

Back