Steam Deck (using SteamOS) handheld by Valve

I'm still not sure. I don't trust Valve as anything other than a maker of Half Life and Portal, so I don't have a Steam account. I've not see a video yet on how easy it is to get to the terminal on this thing.

I don't trust Valve as anything other than a maker of Half Life and Portal,
Have you tried Half-Life: Alyx yet? I mean, I guess maybe not, since I imagine it's Steam exclusive, but you gotta appreciate them doing something Half-Life after all this time.

No, in actuality I've never seriously played any proper FPS since Doom 2. I played and enjoyed both Portal games, and I have watched a video series of HL Alyx being played.

I guess it's more about usability and "niche" topics than money. For instance: we can expect that the Steam Deck "just works" when it comes out. You can use it like a PC and play your beloved PC Games on it. Unlike Pandora and Pyra. So of course this comparison is actually a little bit unfair. Apples and Oranges.
It is possible that the existence of the Steam Deck will also bring the attention to various China devices with comparable specs and function. Linus has a wide audience and he already brought his Aya Neo to compare with the Steam Deck. This may make people curious about these kind of devices. Which is a good thing imho. :)

Very true. And you're right, so I take back my comment about my money talking.
Post automatically merged:

Also, this is interesting...

I wonder: Will every Steamgame work on Steamdeck out of the Box?
Lets say, i shot the whole Gothic Saga some years ago for not that much (Gothic 1 - 4), all i have to do is to Download these on Steamdeck? Or is is just the Linux Games?
I have GTA4, Gothic 1 - 4, Farming Sim 2014 (whit Unimog Mod ), Spintires, Retro City Rampage, and some Half Live 2 Stuff, also the Garry Mod..

Lets say, i shot the whole Gothic Saga some years ago for not that much (Gothic 1 - 4), all i have to do is to Download these on Steamdeck? Or is is just the Linux Games?
I have GTA4, Gothic 1 - 4, Farming Sim 2014 (whit Unimog Mod ), Spintires, Retro City Rampage, and some Half Live 2 Stuff, also the Garry Mod..

No, because it depends on proton

Valve Steam Deck will certainly inadvertently promote Microsoft, because a lot of people will strangely enough...install Windows on it.
Windows Central will be smiling when this happens :)

Valve Steam Deck will certainly inadvertently promote Microsoft, because a lot of people will strangely enough...install Windows on it.
Maybe they will but I thought Gardiner Bryant’s take on why that would be a mistake was quite conclusive (at least in theory; we’ve yet to see the practical test of his take)

Of course a site called "Windows Central" isn't going to have articles raving about a Linux-based handheld.
True, but the author has got a linux x86-64 box and it trying out proton on it. He's not wrong about the current published state of the art. What's colours that judgement is the valve had said they're working with the main offenders to get their cheat software to recognise the steamdeck or otherwise work on proton, and they're intending to get that work done before retail unit shipments start. We've not heard anything from those offenders on the other hand, which would put me in a much more confident mood about valve's approach bearing fruit. But until then it might be worth expecting the multiplayer of recent AAA games to not work.

We've not heard anything from those offenders on the other hand

So games using Easy Anti Cheat (owned by Epic these days, of all companies) will probably work on launch. Or maybe just Rust if it needs individual dev approval, but better than nothing?
One thing that worries on me on that topic either way is if this kind of anti-cheat compatibility will enforce some kind of specific state of the OS setup or Proton. I feel like this could end up being Steam Deck only compatibility or only work on approved Valve Proton builds with closed source components.

Could go both ways. I'd expect most people to try to use it as provided at first and if it works well enough they might not want to bother with installing Windows and start considering Linux as an acceptable OS for gaming.

So Nintendo is right that proton won't run all games, but it will run many. Gothic 1+2 run at silver(playable but with bugs) Gothic 3+4 run at gold(perfect with tweaks). You can check which other games proton supports at [protondb].

[protondb]:https://www.protondb.com/search?q=gothic

Back