Steam Deck (using SteamOS) handheld by Valve

One of the worries people had with the Steam Deck was that you might not be able to play games due to Proton/Linux, including due to all kinds of anti-cheat or copy protection.
I don't think most people are waiting for anti-cheat, but they do worry if their game can be played.
So I think that this could be a reason why it's so positively communicated that this is supported.
Exactly.
The anti cheat software sees Proton as a modified, so possibly cheating, Windows. So it is important, that these tools recognise Proton as a clean OS. If not, multiplayer will not work or even worse, the game wont start.

No ps on your system? Or a dynamic linker, or a kernel? Shell? Init?
So more like a bootable one-binary kiosk?

Anti cheat systems should just be able to check game memory addresses and their relevant files... if some of these is modified by something outside the game then there's something wrong.

Yes, a checksum against the running code would normally be considered enough to prove that code had changed functionally. I don't think anyone's seriously trying to engineer a cheat and trying to at the same time engineer a checksum clash, at least not unless they know that's that's how the anti-cheat software is working. But once the computed checksum doesn't match the original from the anti cheat software's perspective it might make sense to get a listing of all running processes and send that to the game publisher, to help diagnose what's exactly is out there modifying the running code. Although it's fair to say any time I've cracked a game before now, I've modified the code on disc well before it actually launches, but if there was code out there which actively intercepted the game's internet traffic and modified it there that would need to be running, but in that case it wouldn't need to modify the game code. Perhaps the game server can get a signal back to the game that it's being compromised that might be a good time to see what else is running and fire that down the pipe.

Last edited:
Some insights!

Interesting, looks like the Steam Deck has alot of boards inside and also alot of different sized screws. Which is great for manual disassembling but not so great for mass production I guess. Or in other words: it looks expensive to produce. Which makes the targeted price even more impressive.

Last edited:

Tl;dr? I can't watch right now...
Valve’s putting a team together to test >50,000 games on Steam to produce Deck compatibility ratings for all those games. Apparently ~100 games get added to the Steam store every week but they’re planning to review and rate each newly added one within a week so that’s some continued future effort as well.

If the Steam Deckard (VR-headset) will be released these Valve products will be another massive improvement for gaming on Linux.
I love that they called it Deckard - and I hope therefore for an immersive Blade Runner VR game <3

EDIT: spelling error

Last edited:
I love that they called it Deckard - and I hope therefore for an immersive Bladerunner VR game <3
latest

Back