Steam Deck (using SteamOS) handheld by Valve

Ok, so i would need the Linux Steam Versions of the Games.., would i have to buy these Versions again, or are they allready included in the Purshase from Steam on Windows?
And do whe have an Offline Playing Mode? I know the Windows Steam got an Offline Mode for when you dont be connectet..
Would make Sense for a Handheld..

Ok, so i would need the Linux Steam Versions of the Games.., would i have to buy these Versions again, or are they allready included in the Purshase from Steam on Windows?
And do whe have an Offline Playing Mode? I know the Windows Steam got an Offline Mode for when you dont be connectet..
No, windows games run fine.
Steam has a compatibility/translation layer called Proton to play windows games under Linux.
I have been using it for quite a while now on my Linux desktop and it plays virtually any windows game I throw at it.

I think folks here are missing the point that the price is absolutely insane. LTT covered GPD devices but they're priced just beyond impulse buy for the general market. Valve may be taking a hit, if not breaking even, on these, so it's more akin to a console launch with an inexplicable amount of freedom.

The funny thing is that I constantly keep seeing that the perceived price from people outside the mobile-gaming world, is excessive... They say that you can get a ''way better'' smartphone with that price... they value this thing like 50 euro and only for a niche audience... I'm speechless...

I think folks here are missing the point that the price is absolutely insane. LTT covered GPD devices but they're priced just beyond impulse buy for the general market. Valve may be taking a hit, if not breaking even, on these, so it's more akin to a console launch with an inexplicable amount of freedom.
Yes, I think they must be for the 64GB eMMC unit. They've quite cleverly clouded the decision with the others in the range though; it's not just more storage, it's also that the storage changes from eMMC to NVMe and on the top tier the glass changes to pre-scratched. Personally though I think I prefer the colours on the non scratched screen, at least with that you can angle it away from the sun.

Last edited:
In my experience with a mac, winos, and linux box the steam client will install an OS native version if it exists or will install proton on linux. I've never had to repurchase a game to play it on a different OS.

image0-22.jpg

Not really a surprise that it happened. The OS image was posted by Valve in the Steamworks forums, so anyone with Steamworks access could download it (been taken down shortly after).
Most of the new SteamOS UI will be the new Big Picture interface... well that's pretty much what has been said before. SteamOS didn't do much else in the past either, booting into Steam in Big Picture mode with additional options for device config.

I did nab the image file and will go as far as saying it does run on non-Steam Deck hardware... but I'm almost saying too much already, so I'll stop here.

Last edited:
I wonder: Is the Steamdeck somewhere dedectet by the store? So when you try to download something that shouldnt run, will it then refuse to download ? And will the games get automatically config to the Steamdeck Hardware? So Graphic down and Controlls to XBOX Mode or whatever they used as Layoat?

There's not much that won't run in my experience (I'm using a similar system to Steam Deck, an Arch linux steam OS called ChimeraOS), although sometimes you'll have to mess with some settings or select a version of Proton or DosBox to use.

The Deck will most likely be 1:1 compatible with the current Steam Controller, which naturally has excellent support, at least with configurations you can either setup or use from one created by the developer or community to work.

Why would someone wants to have Anti Cheat on his own Device? I mean for Multiplayer ok, but Single Player Games should support Cheats as it ditnt harm others..

Allthough i played a lot whit Cheats in the past, but since i played on Consoles and Handhelds i learned a lot how to play whitout cheats..
But GTA on the Pyra where the Controlls arend that good for Professional Play, at least yet, its more fun whit cheats..

Why would someone wants to have Anti Cheat on his own Device? I mean for Multiplayer ok, but Single Player Games should support Cheats as it ditnt harm others..

Allthough i played a lot whit Cheats in the past, but since i played on Consoles and Handhelds i learned a lot how to play whitout cheats..
But GTA on the Pyra where the Controlls arend that good for Professional Play, at least yet, its more fun whit cheats..
One of the worries people had with the Steam Deck was that you might not be able to play games due to Proton/Linux, including due to all kinds of anti-cheat or copy protection.
I don't think most people are waiting for anti-cheat, but they do worry if their game can be played.
So I think that this could be a reason why it's so positively communicated that this is supported.

Back