Steam Deck (using SteamOS) handheld by Valve

On one hand It'd be nice to have a subsidised handheld pc (Steam can do as console companies do and sell the machine at a loss, earning money by selling games), on the other hand it might make it unfair for the competition and there's also a risk of having competitors do "steampal knockoffs" instead of trying their own thing.

E7QuPdiXMAUc36e.jpg

For me, it was a real impulse pre-order for this, as I don't imagine using another handheld much (I already have a few I don't really use), but the fact that it's basically Arch, and that I love the Steam controller has me hoping it will be at least a little bit special.

OLED has much more vibrancy between colours and intense blacks (the pixels are individually lit, rather than via a back light), but I read somewhere it can also suffer from burn in (albeit perhaps not drastically so)

I find it quite divicult to compare these Handhelds, that reminds me on my last Pyra Video where someone wrote something like "I think Steamdeck will gets a realy hard time on the market if you can get a Pyra instead"

Steamdeck got its purpose (playing Steamgames on the go), Switch got its own purpose (playing Nintendo Games on the go),

With the SteamDeck you're the sys admin, with the Switch Nintendo is. So no, the SD is not only for playing Steam games, but yes the Switch is only for playing Nintendo licensed games (and watching yt with ads).

The coverage of the SteamDeck makes me feel like I've been living in a parallel universe for the last few years: "Finally we can play PC games on the go", "The first handheld for PC game", "No-one has ever done this before!"

I'm a bit sad for all the competitors, like GPD, who've been doing this for years and will now be seen as "overpriced SteamDeck clones".

Im confused anyway why they dont use Clamshell on these, the Steamdeck, or this new GPD WIN..
I can put my Pyra just as its is in my Pocket, its survived even an Bycicle Crash whitout damaging the Screen, i only had to put back a few peks in the the LID, ..
Also: the Clamshell protects the NUBS, and you cant press buttons when you dont want..

Back